“Brilliant Ride Out!”

Country Lanes Cycle Centre
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Hire a bike from the local cycle hire experts! We provide good quality cycle hire equipment and a high level of customer service. Find us on Windermere Railway Station.
Doncaster, England, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Brilliant Ride Out!”
Reviewed 14 September 2012

Me and my partner don't normally take part in outdoor activities but we loved this! Only £20 for the cycle hire each which was worth it. You can have the bikes until 5pm. We took a medium sized route (about 10 mile) and had a lovely day despite the rain. It was very hard peddling uphill but the bikes are excellent quality and make it much easier! Would definitely recommend and will come to use again on our next trip.

Visited September 2012
7 Thank MissJosieMarie

UK
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Extremely poor service”
Reviewed 9 September 2012

Phoned to repair my bike which would have taken two minutes to complete. Gent at shop stated to book the bike in for the simple repair in four days time and would not budge or allow a brief supervised repair. Dreadful service I have travelled the world with my bike and bike shops will always fix the bike ASAP with a smile. I asked Winfred at Electric cycles at Bowness to repair and he did with a smile and also printed me a route map . Excellent chap and a true cyclist who assisted with the knowledge of a professional.

Visited September 2012
2 Thank Peanuts31
guygstar, Owner at Country Lanes Cycle Centre, responded to this review, 25 October 2012
Dear Sir

Thank you for your recent review. We welcome all feedback, both positive and negative, and this enables us to refine and improve our service. I regret on this occasion that we were unable to repair your bike at such short notice, during a peak time.

Just to give you brief background - Country Lanes Cycle Centre has been operating in the Lake District for 15 years. We are a well respected, trusted brand, supported by the local community and visitors alike. Primarily our core business is cycle hire and cycle tours. We also have an accessory retail shop, sell bikes and repair/service privately owned bikes by appointment only during peak times, due to a high demand for our services.

On the weekend in question when you telephoned, we were extremely busy. Due to staff holidays I was covering the centre single handed. We hired a total of 38 bikes that day to several groups, sold a number of ex-hire cycles and had a number of privately owned bikes that were already booked in for repair. The majority of these customers had already pre-booked, and yes they were our priority. On subsequent days, I am pleased to say, we had similar levels of trade all throughout the week, culminating in a large group cycle hire event for Nokia. I would like to add, all of our customers received their hire bikes on time, had a great day out and the bikes that were booked in for repair were completed on time, to our usual high standards.

This is why I could not repair your bike straight away and why we were operating an appointment only system for bike repairs. We are not in the habit of turning away trade and during quieter times we repair bikes A.S.A.P., often whilst customers wait. Over the years we have helped numerous stranded cyclists and part of our income for repairs goes to the charity VICTA, who help visually impaired and blind children in the UK.

I am pleased you found another cycle shop in the area that was able to repair you bike straight away and I hope you enjoyed your time cycling in the Lake District.

Yours faithfully

Guy Fitzgerald
Company Director/Owner
Leicester, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Good bikes, price a little high”
Reviewed 8 July 2012

The bikes used were the Trek 3 series bikes which were well maintained. The person was most helpful and the recommended loop was really scenic albeit a little difficult a day after hard hiking or if you aren't of some level of fitness. No training needed though. The location is strategic. We rented the bikes at 12 and returned them at 4.30, in time to catch the 5pm train.

The only disappointment is the price of £20 I rented each bike for. But being that they are reasonably good bikes and well maintained, I suppose it is not exorbitant, and although it doesn't make it cheap, it seems reasonable. I just wished it was a 24 hour bike rental, not a 9-5pm rental. That would make it a far better deal.

Visited June 2012
3 Thank Silwen89
London, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Helpful, friendly, great bikes!”
Reviewed 8 July 2012

We arrived yesterday 10 minutes before closing time having rung ahead to book 2 bikes. We collected them from the easily accessible Country Lanes at Windermere rail station where we left our car for 24 hours (cost £3.40) and went off into the glorious Lake District surroundings armed with a helpful map amd two fantastic bikes-what a great way to spend the weekend!

Visited July 2012
3 Thank Georgina J
Kendal, United Kingdom
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Great Bikes”
Reviewed 25 June 2012

well maintained bikes nearly new, good advice on routes

Visited September 2011