“Very helpful staff and excellent bikes” 5 of 5 bubbles

Country Lanes Cycle Centre
Kent
26 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 60 helpful votes
“Very helpful staff and excellent bikes”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2014

Only took up cycling a year ago. Only a small shop but staff very helpful and friendly.
Did 18 mile ride around the lake which took about 4 hours stopping on the way for lunch and couple of drinks. Worth stopping at Wray Castle about half way round for lovely views and refueling. Also nice to stop at Hill Tops for a drink.

Parts are quite hilly and we pushed a little but was a very enjoyable day out and roads are mostly pretty quiet.

Bikes were very good quality and are given a very detailed map and directions with a map holder and pump.

Visited June 2014
2 Thank ocnnllKent

common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Excellent, great value service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2013

I bought a bike from Guy and have been absolutely delighted with the service from start to finish. Excellent bike at great value, and Guy was extremely helpful and knowledgeable. I would certainly come back again, and wouldn't hesitate to recommend country lanes to anyone looking to rent or buy.

4 Thank Anna S
Chipperfield, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“A must when in the Lake”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2013

My boyfriend and I are NOT cyclist, however we decided on the 18 mile suggested route, it is hard in places, but for what you get to see, to leap of the bike and push it up the odd hill isn't a chore, Hawkshead is definitely a good place to lunch and is about half way round. I would suggest starting early and taking it at an even pace, we went slowly to start and then had to rush back as we were running out of time and I didn't get to experience "Hill Top" like I would have done. My only negative comment would be shame we had to be back by 5pm. Oh and Park in the station car park £3.90 for the day

4 Thank Penny A
Glasgow, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Excellent day out!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2013

My girlfriend and I struggled to get availability at some of the other cycle hire companies while staying next to Pike Lake about 30 miles from Windermere. We decided to spend a day in Windermere and called to book 2 bikes from the Country Lanes Cycle Centre. We were told just to show up and they would sort us out with whatever we needed.

When we arrived in Windermere the sat nav had directed us to the supermarket car park at the other side of the cycle centre and train station. This means that you have to walk through the supermarket to get to where you need to be. Make sure you don't make the same mistake we did and instead go directly to the Windermere train station car park (£3.90 for the day). One way streets,busy traffic and dodgy junctions trying to get from one car park to the other is no fun!

As previously mentioned the guy that served us (longish hair and quietly spoken) was very pleasant and helpful. He chose the best route for us and advised it may take around 4 hours to complete (ferry, hills, stops etc.). The route contains shortcuts which should allow you to finish within this time frame.

Cycle map (supplied) is recommended. The route itself starts off with an easy down hill all the way to the car ferry which costs £1 per bike and cyclist each way. When you come off the ferry at the other side take a right at the first t-junction and continue to follow the road as it goes somewhat offroad through the forest. Continue this route until you reach a Y junction with a car park on the right, at the junction go left up the steep hill and eventually you will see signs for Hawkshead, follow these. Go around the lake at Hawkshead or shortcut back to the ferry. The only downfall now you have again boarded the ferry is that you now need to go back up the initial down hill!

Bikes (Trek) are robust and well maintained, helmets are basic but perfect, map and map holder were provided and additional ones were available on request. I agree with some other users that the £20 for each cycle is quite expensive. The Island of Cumbrae (Millport) in Scotland is £20 to hire a bike for a week! I do however appreciate that the bikes at Country Lanes are potentially of a better quality and there may be higher overheads at this location such as rent etc.

Overall we both had an excellent time, would definitely recommend and hope to return in the near future.

p.s. - As mentioned I would also recommend a certain degree of fitness before attempting this route or else you will be pushing the bike up some of the steeper hills.

4 Thank Gibby4u
London, United Kingdom
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Excellent”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2013

I hired a bike recently for the day through this company. Very helpful (I was able to leave my suitcase with them whilst I went out on a bike for the day) & easy (located right outside Windermere train station). They supplied a map and suggested routes given the time that I had. I had a really lovely day cycling over to Hill Top (Beatrix Potter's house) and back - would definitely use them again.

Visited May 2013