“great adventure”

Kankku Off Road Driving Adventures
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Owner description: Take the wheel of a specialist 4x4 vehicle for a real off road adventure and discover the Lake District from a new angle.First time or advanced expeditions and training for individuals or groups….or bring your own 4x4.Now it’s your turn!
Reviewed 7 January 2014

Went for a 2 hour adventure and really enjoyed it... suitable not only for young people. Will defenatly go again if we visit again someday. The team working there are very friendly does their job really well and also make u feel safe with all their instructions I would recommend this to all the adventurous people willing to do something different. 5 stars !!!!!!!

Reviewed 1 January 2014 via mobile

I must admit I was apprehensive beforehand, having no previous experience of off roading but needn't have worried. As soon as we arrived it was straight in the jeeps with one of our party driving. Within 20 minutes we were off road - and not a slight gravel track but full on driving over what looked impossible for any vehicle with huge jagged rocks to climb.
The instructor was excellent with praise and justified criticism given in equal measures.
It may seem costly but all 6 of us had a great time and got an hours drive each.
I would recommend this to any driver - you will learn a lot as well as be amazed at what you and these vehicles can drive up and down.

Reviewed 4 December 2013

My wife bought me an afternoon's off-roading with Kankku as a birthday present, and it was amazing! We regularly visit the Lake District, and I thought that I knew the area well, but this adventure lets you explore the Lake District in a completely new way. Our guide was great, very knowledgeable and very helpful, and the vehicles were great too! One of the many fantastic things about this was that there was only a minimal briefing before we were into the vehicles and off - instructions were given whilst we were driving, as we needed them. If you have never been off roading before, I couldn't think of a better way to try it! If you have been off roading before, these guys will take you on trails that are challenging and spectacular!
Thanks for a fantastic day Men of Kankku!

1  Thank Tim P
Reviewed 1 December 2013

We did the 2 hour adventure and it was amazing!A great way to see parts of the Lake District you usually wouldn't get to.The guides are excellent and make you feel really at ease.Can't recommend enough.

1  Thank Mandy M
Reviewed 13 November 2013

As first timers to an activity like this myself and my boyfriend were quite apprehensive of what it might be like. We made an email enquiry based on the reviews off trip advisor and despite it being late on a Friday night, I got a rapid reply and plenty of information so we booked the 5hr Expedition for the following Sunday morning.

Adam our guide for the day was fantastic. He was so knowledgable about the local area and the trails that the trip out was not just a 4 x 4 experience but also a sightseeing tour of the area around Windemere and Coniston Water. Being out first time to the lakes, and limited to a weekend, we found this an excellent way to see lots of the scenery whilst still getting out and about.

Adam was so patient with us; explaining the best way to guide and drive the car over the terrain, not only telling us how to handle the car and why but, more importantly, telling us how to protect the trials that we were driving on to ensure minimal damage to the local landscape.

What I would say is that as beginners the 5hr trip allowed us to adjust to the car learn the driving techniques so that by the afternoon both of us were comfortable and relaxing into the experience. The 2hr adventure may be a little short for people to relax into the driving and techniques if there are more than two beginner drivers wanting to have a go, but it will be enough time to enjoy the essence of the experience.

One word of warning is that the ride in the back is more rough than when driving, so be prepared to experience some 'bumping about' when not driving...I took photos of the local landscape whilst in the back and let's say I had a fair few photos of the internal elements of the car rather than the picturesque landscape - due to the 'bumps'. I did manage to get some excellent pictures of the terrain and landscape though.

We stopped at a local pub for lunch, in which the food was excellent and the staff very friendly. I can't fault any of the experience and highly recommend it to anyone.

2  Thank SkiHolidayBug