“Beautiful hotel but how sad the food let it down!!!”

Applegarth Villa and Restaurant
Ranked #4 of 20 Hotels in Windermere
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Beautiful hotel but how sad the food let it down!!!”
Reviewed 28 August 2011

We stayed here for two nights for my birthday. We booked very late so had to change rooms each night. We did'nt mind this as it gave us chance to stay in 2 beautiful rooms. We had breakfast both mornings in the dining room but the food was pretty average. The breakfasts had been pre prepared & kept warm on both occasions. This was disappointing as a breakfast really doesn't take too long to prepare. We had been seated 2 minutes & was served our cerals. With minutes of receiving this our cooked breakfasts were served.. .. I had'nt even finished my cereals.
We booked a table for the Saturday evening & was really looking forward to the meal as the internet gave such high praise for the new chef & restaurant. How DISAPPOINTED we both were, The canapes served were hardly canapes.,, 2 pieces of chopped ham on top of a piece of black pudding. The other a thin slice of chorizo spread with soft cheese & folded over. The starters were pretty average, but the main was poor. My chicken dish was overcooked & peppercorn cream sauce was tasteless. My husbands venison again completey overcooked!! I ordered creme brulee withshortbread biscuit which had to be sent back the biscuit was soft & the brulee topping overcooked & difficult to crack open!! Again we felt very rushed. So disappointing.!! On checking out we did ask if the main chef was in residence & was told Kevin was the chef for that weekend & the head chef was away. I do wish we would have been told this on booking as it was my birthday & with so many gorgeous restaurants to try in Windemere it seemed such a waste... What a terrible shame as the hotel really is very nice. This is the 1st time i have ever done a review but felt like it was almost false advertising!!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (367)
co durham
Reviewed 20 August 2011

We have just come back from the Applegarth after yet another few fantastic days there. Food, drink and the general running of the hotel top standard as always not that we would expect anything less from this wonderful place.
If the guy in the last review had problems with communications from the hotel can I suggest that he sorts his computer out as there is obviously something wrong with his security settings as the owners of the hotel would not ignore their customers. It may also help if he checked his statement balance when he receives them then it would have saved him from having to ring his bank to check whether a deposit had been taken.And at that point anyone with a little intelligence would have know that their room had been booked. Surly everyone knows that a deposit is paid when booking rooms at hotels and this is confirmation that they are booked in!! It seems to me he is trying to blame the hotel for something that he has not checked out in the first place, either that or he has too much money and does not need to keep track of it.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 August 2011

I emailed the Applegarth, Windermere, Cumbria, UK back in May 2011 to enquire about room options that would best suit our requirements. No response was received. I phoned the hotel towards the end of July to discuss various options and prices. I must admit that they were not particularly helpful, but I was attracted to the pictures of their rooms on their website and the 5-star AA rating. On 01/08/2011, I phoned again to book a room for October at the agreed special rate of &731.00 pp for a luxury room for 2 adults for 8 nights. The Manager asked me to provide my CC details, which I did. He promised to email me the confirmation of my booking. However, despite my 2 telephone calls a few days later, in addition to a high-priority email, I still did not receive any confirmation. On 04/08/11, I called the hotel and spoke with a lady, who asked me for my address again so she could post me the confirmation. It never arrived. I called the hotel again on 08/08/11 and was told by the Manager that the lady had sent the confirmation 2nd class on 04/08/11, and that I would receive it within a few days. I phoned the hotel on 08/08/11 as I had not received any confirmation. I let the Manager know that I had just phoned my CC company who advised me that a transaction of £208.00 had been made to the hotel on 01/08/11. It is still not clear to me what sort of deposit the hotel usually charges its clients, as no confirmation has been received and no information on the terms and conditions is available on the hotel website. Without phoning my bank, I would not have known of this transaction and its amount. I sent the hotel a letter by special delivery on 10/08/11 to ask them for an explanation for their complete lack of communication, and to ask them to refund me my deposit and to cancel my booking. I also gave them a deadline to answer my letter. Again, nothing in writing was received, so I phoned my bank to find out that the hotel had refunded me my money. Given the hotel’s attitude, I preferred not risk my stay with them.

Room Tip: If you manage to extract information from them
5 Thank toine9
Reviewed 16 August 2011

Me and my Wife stayed here for two nights for our honeymoon. From the moment we checked in till the moment we checked out we were made to feel very welcome. The room was one of the best I've stayed in, the bathroom was amazing-Double jacuzzi bath and a t.v, what more can a man ask for on his honeymoon!
We ate in the restaurant both nights and couldn't ask for anything better, four courses of perfect food. We had fillet steak both nights, they were cooked to perfection everytime.

I have read other reviews of this hotel and find them to be complete rubbish.....I would recommend this hotel to anyone who is searching for luxury.

• Stayed August 2011
1 Thank Palmer1985
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 August 2011

Me and my boyfriend stayed here for my birthday. I was a bit scared as there was some dodgey reviews where people had bad mouthed the staff and the food so i was quite worried but when we got there it was amazing, the staff where so friendly and helpful and couldnt do much more for us really! The room (Room 17) was amazing, we purposly picked this room as it had the pretty lights, big comfy bed and the jacuzzi bath! The room was just faultless, although some people have put that this room was in the basement, it was but it wasnt a problem for us at all and it is below the restaurant but you only hear the footsteps if your sat in silence, if you have the bath going, the tv's on you cant hear a thing! Not quite sure what the moaning was about!

We went for dinner in the restaurant, the staff couldnt do much more, the waitress was superb! The menu was delicious and our food was perfect, we enjoyed every mouthfull! The conservatory was amazing at night as you can see the mountains and the sunset and its gorgeous! Breakfast is great too!

The hotel even helped my boyfriend plan a suprise - champagne and flowers! :)

This hotel is definatley worth every penny and we both cant wait to come back again!!

1 Thank Kelly J
Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 July 2011

Rooms , service and restaurant far exceeded our expectations. We have recommended Applegarth Villa to friends who were equally impressed. We would certainly return.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Meg1046
Worcestershire
Reviewed 30 July 2011

Firstly myself & my partner did not stay at this hotel. But were in a B&B down the road. The owners of our B&B recommended JR's restaurant to us for a lovely meal.

We arrived & the hotel was beautiful, so well restored & in keeping with its character, it just makes you want to explore the place! One of the owners told us a lot about the history of the building, the local area & snippets of info on the things they had personally restored in the building. All very fascinating!

Before we ordered food, we were in the bar area having drinks of local real ales & we were brought appetisers, very nice they were too! After looking at the menu I wanted to order the salmon starter, weirdly I am allergic to the dye they feed farmed salmon & prawns with, so I have to check whether the salmon is wild or farmed. Normally most restaurants just don't know & don't really bother to find out, so I just don't order it. But Alan (the owner) firstly asked the chef, who was not sure, so he rang up the supplier of the salmon, who found out for him & then called back. A lot of effort was made, when most restaurants just say "I don't know, order something else just in case" so thank you to them for doing that!

All in all the food was beautiful, the waitresses were very knowledgeable on the food, the owners were friendly, chatty & very knowledgeable on the area & their hotel & showed real passion for their hotel. I couldn't knock the food at all & very reasonably priced. Myself & my partner have eaten at many a top end & michelin starred restaurant, with final bills coming to a lot larger than the one presented to us at JR's. Their food was nearly as good as any high end restaurant & the settings were wonderful.

When we return to the Lakes we will come again for sure!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Rach1734
Also consider these accommodations in or near Windermere
Gilpin Hotel & Lake House
Holbeck Ghyll Country House
Holbeck Ghyll Country House
#13 of 20 in Windermere
Appleby Manor Hotel & Garden Spa

Been to Applegarth Villa and Restaurant? Share your experiences!