We stayed here for two nights for my birthday. We booked very late so had to change rooms each night. We did'nt mind this as it gave us chance to stay in 2 beautiful rooms. We had breakfast both mornings in the dining room but the food was pretty average. The breakfasts had been pre prepared & kept warm on both occasions. This was disappointing as a breakfast really doesn't take too long to prepare. We had been seated 2 minutes & was served our cerals. With minutes of receiving this our cooked breakfasts were served.. .. I had'nt even finished my cereals.
We booked a table for the Saturday evening & was really looking forward to the meal as the internet gave such high praise for the new chef & restaurant. How DISAPPOINTED we both were, The canapes served were hardly canapes.,, 2 pieces of chopped ham on top of a piece of black pudding. The other a thin slice of chorizo spread with soft cheese & folded over. The starters were pretty average, but the main was poor. My chicken dish was overcooked & peppercorn cream sauce was tasteless. My husbands venison again completey overcooked!! I ordered creme brulee withshortbread biscuit which had to be sent back the biscuit was soft & the brulee topping overcooked & difficult to crack open!! Again we felt very rushed. So disappointing.!! On checking out we did ask if the main chef was in residence & was told Kevin was the chef for that weekend & the head chef was away. I do wish we would have been told this on booking as it was my birthday & with so many gorgeous restaurants to try in Windemere it seemed such a waste... What a terrible shame as the hotel really is very nice. This is the 1st time i have ever done a review but felt like it was almost false advertising!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Applegarth Villa is truly a rare find being the only 5 gold star guest accommodation with on-site bar & restaurant with AA restaurant award, situated in Windermere in the very heart of the Lake District. Offering individual luxury accommodation of the highest standard together with our newly appointed suites all with a hot tub, this magnificent Villa is unique to Windermere. Having both an Award winning restaurant serving only the best locally sourced regional produce and a cosy oak panelled bar with roaring fire and one of the finest Whisky selection in the area, this is the perfect place to spend the evening after enjoying a day in the Lakes. Who would want to venture out on a cold winters evenings with everything you need in one magnificent building. Equally our summer terrace is the perfect outdoor space to dine in warmer weather whilst enjoying a glass of wine and watching the sunset over the distant fells from your hot tub. With plenty of secure on site parking this makes Applegarth the perfect choice for your stay in the lakes. To compliment this magnificent building, all our rooms are fully coordinated with fabrics and soft furnishings carefully chosen by our interior designer. Luxurious bathrooms, wall mounted flat screen TV's, free hi speed internet access,suites with hot tubs, refreshment tray, bottled Lakeland water and bathrobes all come as standard! In consideration of our many guests who join us to escape family and business pressures, we are unable to welcome children. Our guest accommodation offers everything you would come to expect from Windermere hotels, including a public bar, a beautiful 40 cover conservatory restaurant, a large private floodlit car park. ADULT ONLY ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with TripOnline SA so you can book your Applegarth Villa and Restaurant reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Applegarth Villa And Jr`s Restaurant
- Applegarth Villa & Jr`s Restaurant Hotel Windermere
- Applegarth Hotel Windermere
- Applegarth Villa And Restaurant Windermere, Lake District