We saved this meal at JR's for the end of the holiday as the menu outside looked inviting and appeared it might be a fine dining experience - it was not! Unfortunately, we walked in to a sweltering and unpleasant restaurant environment, where there were few diners and poor ambience. When we sat at our table, the blinds were poorly set and the waiter was unhelpful about addressing this. The service was poor and not as might be expected of a 5 star hotel, in our experience.
The food was very average and the venison, as mentioned by a previous reviewer, was chewy and only half was edible. The field mushrooms starter was mushrooms in a strong stange sauce. The sauces for both the starters and the main meals overpowered the flavours of the main ingredients. We decided to end our meal at this point and went to have a very pleasant dessert and coffee nearby.
Definitely not worth the inflated prices for what was a poor meal. Furthermore, whilst the manager said he would convey our disappointment to the chef, he was quite dismissive of our complaints.
I am glad we didn't stay here!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Applegarth Villa is truly a rare find being the only 5 gold star guest accommodation with on-site bar & restaurant with AA restaurant award, situated in Windermere in the very heart of the Lake District. Offering individual luxury accommodation of the highest standard together with our newly appointed suites all with a hot tub, this magnificent Villa is unique to Windermere. Having both an Award winning restaurant serving only the best locally sourced regional produce and a cosy oak panelled bar with roaring fire and one of the finest Whisky selection in the area, this is the perfect place to spend the evening after enjoying a day in the Lakes. Who would want to venture out on a cold winters evenings with everything you need in one magnificent building. Equally our summer terrace is the perfect outdoor space to dine in warmer weather whilst enjoying a glass of wine and watching the sunset over the distant fells from your hot tub. With plenty of secure on site parking this makes Applegarth the perfect choice for your stay in the lakes. To compliment this magnificent building, all our rooms are fully coordinated with fabrics and soft furnishings carefully chosen by our interior designer. Luxurious bathrooms, wall mounted flat screen TV's, free hi speed internet access,suites with hot tubs, refreshment tray, bottled Lakeland water and bathrobes all come as standard! In consideration of our many guests who join us to escape family and business pressures, we are unable to welcome children. Our guest accommodation offers everything you would come to expect from Windermere hotels, including a public bar, a beautiful 40 cover conservatory restaurant, a large private floodlit car park. ADULT ONLY ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with TripOnline SA so you can book your Applegarth Villa and Restaurant reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Applegarth Villa & Jr`s Restaurant Hotel Windermere
- Applegarth Villa And Jr`s Restaurant
- Applegarth Hotel Windermere
- Applegarth Villa And Restaurant Windermere, Lake District