Applegarth Villa Hotel and Restaurant
  • Breakfast included
Hillthwaite(Windermere)
US$216
US$210
The Windermere Hotel(Windermere)(Great Value!)
US$87
Agoda.com
US$369
Hotels.com
1,289 results
All reviewshot tubultimate luxuryround bedpotter suiteluxury roomdouble bathmood lightingowners and stafffillet steakcoffee machinehigh standardlake districtattention to detailwell stocked barboth nightsspa bathwedding anniversary
Reviewed 11 September 2013

Our stay was for three nights, end of August and still dreaming of the wonderful time we had.
Applegarth is a fantastic hotel, high standard of service, a combination of contemporary and antique furniture dots the rooms. We were to stay in room 14 on the top floor, pure peace, bed linen and towels were of the highest quality, clean and comfy deserving the 5***** rating.
Next was dinner, the selection on offer was excellent, fresh, local produce where possible and my vegetarian request of a surprise on the final night was a delight. I must not forget the stunning view of lakeland fells, wow watching the sun setting on our first night as we enjoyed dinner was priceless.
Wine and whisky, yes Alan you got it right as you must have noticed my partner (wine lover) enjoyed it. I must say this was one of the few places where he did not return an order.
Breakfast was top, no buffet that has become common in most hotels. Instead, a wide selection was served a la carte! no unnessesay wastage.
Finally, the Spa,the hotel has arrangement with a hotel close by where swimming pool, sauna, heat and ice room facilities are complimentary which was a pleasure after a day walking about and enjoying the magnificent views aboard a chartered boat (with the help of Allan) as we cruised the Windermere.
Not to forget, the location is excellent, a short walk to buses and train away from main high street and parking available .
How can I forget: the hotel is not suitable for children. Gasp to couples! Delightful.
Allan, Suzanne and the team you do a great job effortlessly, thank you for making our stay delightful, we will be back!
R & L

Room Tip: Location is all round great
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
7  Thank kubwa30
ApplegarthVilla, Owner at Applegarth Villa Hotel and Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 12 September 2013

Thank you so much for your review. All at Applegarth are overwhelmed by your kindness. Chefs ready with the extra spices for your next visit!

Reviewed 10 September 2013

My wife and I have just returned from our stay at the Applegarth and from someone who is in the holiday I can honestly say this place deserves its 5* status , great rooms (room 17) and fantastic food.
The staff were very attentive and could not do enough for us , I am not used to such peace and quiet.
We will be returning but this time I will want room 1 as we had a sneaky look in there

Room Tip: Room 17 which we had but others we looked at all seemed fantastic
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
ApplegarthVilla, Owner at Applegarth Villa Hotel and Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 11 September 2013

It's always great to get such a fantastic review from someone like yourself who is in the holiday industry. Thank you very much. We look forward to welcoming you back for room 1!

Reviewed 10 September 2013

We have just returned from a 3 night stay at Applegarth for our first wedding anniversary. The hotel was fabulous. There was a wide choice of food for breakfast and the evening meal was superb. The room was clean, the bed was big and comfy and the bathroom was very modern. We would certainly like to return to Applegarth.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Look forward to seeing you again, hopefully for your second wedding anniversary

Reviewed 9 September 2013

My husband and I have just come back from a 2 night stay at the Applegarth. Our room (9) didn't dissappoint. Immaculately clean, fresh crisp bedding and lovely white fluffy towels. The bathroom was stunning, more than well appointed and finished to a very high standard.
The interior of Applegarth was stunning, stain glass windows, lots of character wherever you looked.
I guess a comment for improvement would be I felt the front of house let the place down. Really it started when I called up at 19:45pm to find out when the kitchen closed on the Friday evening. I was told in no uncertain terms it was 20:45. The weather was horrific and although the sat nav was saying our arrival was 20:35 I knew we may be pushing it, so I downloaded the menu en route and rang back to give our choices thinking this will allay concerns in case we run into traffic. On calling back the same guy answered and said it would be pointless taking our food menu as the Chef wont start cooking until we arrived due to food 'waste' etc. I came off the phone and my husband and I both thougt this was a strange comment in light of the fact our room came with dinner so in our minds we had already paid for this. As it happens we made it in good time so all the stress was for nothing. On booking the room I wasnt told that the kitchen shut at a certain time and i just wonder had we turned up just after 20:45 would we not have had dinner?
On both mornings at breakfast we waited at least 5 mins before even our drinks order was taken and on the last morning, it was upto 15 mins, when my husband had to go in and ask if our requests could be taken, even after that there was a delay. The waitresses were still however cleaning tables. It sounds petty but just to get a coffee or tea before taking our food requests would be fine.
The friedliest response I feel during our stay was on check out when we were paying and the guy was quite interested in finding out what we were doing etc. I would say customer service amounts to so much and is the reason why I personally would come back to the same place more than once. I did feel that baring this in mind , I am sorry to say the Applegarth for me lacked a bit of soul this weekend.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We are delighted that you loved your room, we are so lucky that Applegarth retains so many of its original features which enhance the luxury bathrooms and furnishings.
I think there may have been a misunderstanding regarding dinner on the first evening. Serving times in the restaurant are included in the booking confirmation you received when making the reservation. All that our Manager was trying to relay was that since your journey had already taken you considerably longer than you had expected, coupled with the weather being horrific and you still had at least an hours journey time it would not have been wise to order dinner as Chefs team prepares everything freshly so we could have sorted something out when you arrived.
I'm sorry you felt waiting 5 minutes to be served for breakfast was not acceptable. Breakfast at Applegarth is a relaxed affair that is Waitress served and again freshly prepared. It usually takes our Guests longer than 5 minutes to study the menu! If you were in a rush you need only have attracted a waitress's attention and you would have been served immediately

Reviewed 4 September 2013

Booked a surprise night away in the Lakes for my husband and I for our 21st Wedding Anniversary. We found the hotel accommodation to be very well appointed, clean and friendly staff, especially the owner and his wife, Alan & Suzanne. The restaurant food was excellent and the breakfast was the best I have had. The location was also great and to have the pool and spa facilities of the Macdonald hotel nearby was an added bonus, would definitely recommend it and stay again in the near future hopefully.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
ApplegarthVilla, Owner at Applegarth Villa Hotel and Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 5 September 2013

Thank you for choosing Applegarth for your stay in Windermere especially on such a special occasion as your 21st Wedding anniversary.We look forward to your return visit