Oldfield House
US$349
Official Site
Hillthwaite(Windermere)
  • Breakfast included
Cedar Manor Hotel and Restaurant(Windermere)
The Samling Hotel(Windermere)
The Lamplighter(Windermere)
No availability for your dates from our partners
All reviewsb bvegetarian breakfastlong weekendshort walkbirthday weekendstayed here for nightsbe visiting againlovely placefirst floormy partnertop floorlakesaccommodationensuiteguesthousebrookside
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 14 September 2013

As B&B's go, Oldfield House was fine, but for the price, I have stayed in much bigger and far more comfortable rooms. The room and the ensuite were very clean and the bathroom had obviously been recently refurbished, so all positive there. The cooked breakfast was first class, but other than that, everything was a little average for the price. The twin room we booked was absolutely tiny. Although there was storage available (wardrobe, drawers, bedside tables,etc) the layout of the room was very impractical and it was actually difficult to use the storage with ease. A single bed was pushed against each wall, with approximately 3-4 foot of space between. The small tv screen was directly above one of the beds, so the only way it could really be watched was to both sit on the other bed. Wherever I put my bags or belongings, (even though I used the wardrobe), I had to move them from spot to spot every time I needed something, which was just annoying. The bathroom was also tiny, and I couldnt even put my toiletries bag in there, as there was nowhere to put it. (The only small shelf was above the toilet, so I did not want to put my toothbrush or belongings there, so ended up leaving toiletries in the non-existent space in the bedroom. The bedding was good quality, but the duvet seemed so narrow that any movement caused it to topple off me during the night, hence waking me up cold. Therefore, I had to leave the bedspread on, just to keep the duvet in place, which was then far too hot. There were spare fleece blankets in the wardrobe which I thought might be better, but I was unable to use them because they smelled so stale. Also, I ran out of toilet paper (no spare roll was left) and as I was unable to get an answer when I rang the doorbell to the private part of the house, I had to use the box of tissues from the room instead. Most rooms I have stayed in always leave a spare toilet roll, not just the one on the holder. (I heard another guest asking for toilet roll in the breakfast room, so I know I was not alone with this problem). Also, the view from the window looked onto a flat grey roof, before facing another window. Nothing other than this enclosed grey part of the building could be seen. This facing window had vertical blinds, so I could not see in, but anybody in that room could have easily seen me, so if I undressed, I had to draw the heavy curtains and put the light on for privacy. A blind or net would so easily solve this problem. Overall, a pleasant enough stay with regards to the friendliness of the owners, and the excellent breakfast, but purely because of the room size and overall value-for money for our particular accommodation, I would probably chance staying somewhere else next time.

Room Tip: Avoid the twin room on the middle floor at all costs! Unfortunately, I cannot comment on the other rooms as I did not see them.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank YJFY
Reviewed 31 August 2013

We Stayed here for 3 nights and the stay was very comfortable.Rooms are very clean and well equipped.Walkable distance from Train station and Windermere Lake.
The owners are very friendly and ready to help always.
Plus they have enough vegetarian breakfast options which was well served.I will definately stay here next time.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 August 2013

We had a great couple of days at the Oldfield House.
I stayed with my friend who has come over from New Zealand and we both had a lovely time.
The owners were very friendty and the accomodation very comfortable and clean,
Breakfast was really good too!!!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 August 2013

Have done a lot of travelling the last few weeks, so it was lovely to rock up to Oldfield House on the train and be so warmly welcomed. Stephanie assisted in organising tours for us and accommodation in other towns. I think they went well beyond the call of "duty" in their helpfulness. Beds were brilliantly comfortable, room was clean and fresh with lots of extras. I would have no hesitation in recommending this place. Reasonably priced and close to everything. Thanks guys and keep up the great standard.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 August 2013

The hotel is ideally situated, the owners are very friendly and helpful and make the best cooked breakfast ever! Free pass to spa facilities at the Macdonald hotel in Bowness is included, and the rooms are equipped with hair dryer and toiletries and well presented.

• Stayed: July 2013