“Great Place to stay !!!”
Review of Oldfield House

Oldfield House
Ranked #54 of 108 Windermere B&B and Inns
Lancaster, United Kingdom
“Great Place to stay !!!”
Reviewed 20 March 2014

Fantastic weekend stayed March 2014,my double room was outstanding and the on-suite was immaculate. Situated in a great location, 5min walk to the centre of Windermere perfect for our needs..The breakfast was also outstanding with great service by the owner who made us so welcome.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 November 2013 via mobile

Initialy booked as i wanted a single room, but then a friend came too so we shared a twin room. Good location. Quiet and easy parking, yet very close to town centre, good breakfast, friendly couple. No particular wow factor but a good honest B &B.

Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Cleator Moor
Reviewed 16 November 2013

We were in Windermere for a wedding so decided to book somewhere to stop over, Oldfield House has a good central location and is walking distance into either Windermere or Bowness. We had a very friendly warm welcome, shown to our room on the top floor which was clean and well presented. Breakfast was pre-ordered each night and it was lovely. Overall great value and would recommend and go back. The parking area was being worked on when we stayed but there is plenty of on-street parking right outside the hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Skipton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 November 2013

Stayed 3 nights at the end of October. We arrived late in the evening to a warm welcome and after showing us to our spacious room (No: 2) we asked if they could recommend somewhere to eat and were given directions to a nearby pub in Windermere for a good value dinner. The room although overlooking the street was extremely quiet, ensuring a good nights sleep in a very comfortable bed. The breakfast was excellent as you could choose from a menu the night before exactly what you would like. We walked into Windermere town ( about 10 minuets ) two evenings and into Bowness ( about 20 to 30 minuets ) to the pictures on the other evening. Altogether a very comfortable and enjoyable stay, shame about the weather.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 October 2013

The owners were both really helpful and welcoming on our arrival and continued throughout our stay.
The food was excellent with a wide variety which you can to choose from and change the day before.
The room that we stayed in had not long got refurbished. The space we had in the room was really comfortable which was good for staying 6 nights.
Will defiantly return in the future!

• Stayed September 2013
Cheshunt, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 September 2013

As B&B's go, Oldfield House was fine, but for the price, I have stayed in much bigger and far more comfortable rooms. The room and the ensuite were very clean and the bathroom had obviously been recently refurbished, so all positive there. The cooked breakfast was first class, but other than that, everything was a little average for the price. The twin room we booked was absolutely tiny. Although there was storage available (wardrobe, drawers, bedside tables,etc) the layout of the room was very impractical and it was actually difficult to use the storage with ease. A single bed was pushed against each wall, with approximately 3-4 foot of space between. The small tv screen was directly above one of the beds, so the only way it could really be watched was to both sit on the other bed. Wherever I put my bags or belongings, (even though I used the wardrobe), I had to move them from spot to spot every time I needed something, which was just annoying. The bathroom was also tiny, and I couldnt even put my toiletries bag in there, as there was nowhere to put it. (The only small shelf was above the toilet, so I did not want to put my toothbrush or belongings there, so ended up leaving toiletries in the non-existent space in the bedroom. The bedding was good quality, but the duvet seemed so narrow that any movement caused it to topple off me during the night, hence waking me up cold. Therefore, I had to leave the bedspread on, just to keep the duvet in place, which was then far too hot. There were spare fleece blankets in the wardrobe which I thought might be better, but I was unable to use them because they smelled so stale. Also, I ran out of toilet paper (no spare roll was left) and as I was unable to get an answer when I rang the doorbell to the private part of the house, I had to use the box of tissues from the room instead. Most rooms I have stayed in always leave a spare toilet roll, not just the one on the holder. (I heard another guest asking for toilet roll in the breakfast room, so I know I was not alone with this problem). Also, the view from the window looked onto a flat grey roof, before facing another window. Nothing other than this enclosed grey part of the building could be seen. This facing window had vertical blinds, so I could not see in, but anybody in that room could have easily seen me, so if I undressed, I had to draw the heavy curtains and put the light on for privacy. A blind or net would so easily solve this problem. Overall, a pleasant enough stay with regards to the friendliness of the owners, and the excellent breakfast, but purely because of the room size and overall value-for money for our particular accommodation, I would probably chance staying somewhere else next time.

Room Tip: Avoid the twin room on the middle floor at all costs! Unfortunately, I cannot comment on the other...