“Awful. Very rude manager.”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Lakes Lodge

and 1 more site!
Lakes Lodge
Ranked #102 of 111 Windermere B&B and Inns
“Awful. Very rude manager.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2014 via mobile

Obnoxious bullying manager/owner. Yelled at my pregnant daughter-in-law in front of her young kids. Appalling way to treat people. Lousy room with a view of the wall next door. Owner yelled that he gets 'our type' there a lot. We are all college educated - making significantly above average income that love to stay in B&B's. Wonder what type they want as customers. The bathroom shower was so low that even my 4' 11" daughter had trouble using it. (But i did like the shampoo :) - thats the 1 star) Find somewhere else to stay

• Stayed June 2014
11 Thank Jeremy D
Andrewd101282, Owner at Lakes Lodge, responded to this review, 7 July 2014
Dear Jeremy,
Thank you for this review however there are some inaccuracies here.
Firstly I did not enter your room but stayed outside in the hallway since the door was open. Inside the people were eating fish and chips which I could smell downstairs. There is a no take away food policy at Lakes Lodge which you chose to ignore. I pointed this out to you and did not at anytime raise my voice.
The young man in the room told me not to shout at his wife; in truth it was the other way round. I did not address his wife until she chose to to intervene and started to scream at me that they knew nothing about the no food policy. I pointed out since it was written twice in the entrance and hallway and once on the check in sheet which they had signed and again in the room it is hardly likey that they did not know. The man then used the F word at me and threatened me with violence if I did not go away. This kind of language in front of the children appalled me. No one in this business, that I know, will tolerate being spoken to in this way and so I said I would inform the police which I did. The police took down the information I related to them and said if I had any more trouble they would come to the hotel to deal with the matter.
Fortunately we had no more trouble.
The reason for the no food policy is that sometimes take away food cartons when opened allow steam to rise setting off the fire alarms forcing the hotel occupants out on to the front car park.
The last thing any B& B owner would want.

I at no time commented what type of people they were etc. The use of foul language however does make me think. I am not an aggressive person and at the age of 67, an OAP I am hardly in a position to threaten anyone. I too am university educated with, I believe, a little more sophistication
in that I never use foul language of any sort and fine good English sufficient to express myself in any set of circumstances.

If you frequent so many B & B's like you say you do then you must know there are always house rules which should be obeyed by any guest. To swear and threaten the landlord when a rule is pointed out is not very well educated but appalling.

This I can truthfully say is not an accurate review.

Andy

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Sheffield
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2014

From the first phonecall we found the staff rude and unhelpful. The manager barged into our room and began shouting and balling because he suspected we had take out food..which we didnt. When I asked him not to raise his voice whilst my 2 and 3 year old slept he started to point and get aggressive to the point we almost called the police. Appalling.

• Stayed June 2014
6 Thank Joebromehead
Andrewd101282, Manager at Lakes Lodge, responded to this review, 7 July 2014
Dear Joe,
Thank you for taking the trouble to write this review. I find all of what you have written however somewhat fabricated.
I have never in 14 years at this establishment barged into a guests room without knocking and accuse them of anything. This sounds like a support letter to a previous review which I have replied to at some length. Once again I am am 5'4" tall and 67 years old I am not aggressive but gentle and kind.
To what you are refferring and exactly what you are on about in this review eludes me to the point it is almost a joke.
If, however, you believe the content of what you have written I apologise but quite honestly I am completely baffled.

Andy

Travellers are raving about these Windermere hotels

Swansea, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2014

stayed for one night only so short and sweet, but had a lovely stay. comfortable room, good facilities, had a good nights sleep. room a bit dated and tired, but clean and tidy. breakfast very good, although served very early!!
the main positive point was the lady owner, shes absolutly lovely. really welcoming, did everything she could to accomodate us, including a really early check in!
would stay again!

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Vicky W
Andrewd101282, Owner at Lakes Lodge, responded to this review, 7 July 2014
Dear Vicky,
What a lovely review. Thank you. It is nice to know that we are appreciated by some people for what we do. We try very hard to please.
Thank you for choosing Lake Lodge Windermere and we hope you will stay with us again next time you are in the Lake District.

Marie and Andy
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2014

I recently stayed here for 2 nights. I did 2 tours with their Lakes Supertours company as well. Even though I arrived very early on the first day and my tour didn't start for a couple of hours, I was made to feel very welcome and was even given a simple breakfast while I waited.

The room was a good size and the bed was very comfortable. The shower was a bit awkward to get in and out of, but other than that it was great. It even had a fridge, which was extremely handy.

The cooked breakfast is very substantial and the owner is very nice and chatty.

I would definitely recommend staying here as a base for exploring the wonders of the Lake District.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Melany L
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2014

We paid £150 for an one night's stay in a family room. We were extremely disappointed to see how dated the accommodation was. We were greeted with a notice on the door, "back at 3.", and had to wait in the car!
However, rooms weer clean, spacious & we had a good night's sleep. Nice breakfast. If the stay was much cheaper, I would probably stay again.

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank LMu210
Liverpool
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2014 via mobile

I only stayed for one night in a small single room but had everything I needed, tv, en suite ,hairdryer & fridge!
Excellent breakfast with all you need to set you up for the day.
Offroad parking & friendly hosts. Not the ritz but not ritz prices.

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank John G
L'Estartit, Spain
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 December 2013

We'd read the reviews but like to make our own minds up.
We stayed in room 6 and the bed dominated the room making accessibility difficult, the rest of the facilities in the room were tired and adequate at best.
There was a fusty smell throughout.
At breakfast, rather early, I was asked how many rashers of bacon I would like, I said three and was informed that they normally only served two, I was allowed three as I wasn't having sausage !
Ideally positioned in Windermere with ample facilities within a short walking distance.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple