“Soft Drinks Galore!!!”

Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations
SCOTLAND
“Soft Drinks Galore!!!”
Reviewed 5 October 2013

No. Not quite! Now that I have your attention, however, can I point out that NOT everyone wants to drink alcohol in a pub. One half pint of Coca Cola and a pint tumbler with a dash of orange cordial, topped up with Lemonade from the pump tap....cost £5.00 Surely some mistake?

May I remind the Owners that there is a lot of competition in Windermere village for business from passing tourists. If you prefer almost 'Perfect Competition' in economic terms. So, we won't be back, as I do hate that 'I've just been ripped off' feeling!!!

Finally, trust me I WILL be telling all my friends to avoid this venue - if they value their money that is.

Allow me to congratulate you. You will end up pushing tourists away and then the establishment will be patronised by locals only. I wouldn't have thought that was a good idea in todays economic environment, however.

1 Thank VELAD

• Polish first
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Not the best food !!”
Reviewed 3 October 2013

My me and my husband thought we'd give this place a go, and decided to eat upstairs in the restaurant.

Garlic bread to start - husband really enjoyed it

I had steak and Ale pie, which was just gravy and the odd mushroom, two small pieces of meat, chips and veg ok. Husband had 1/2 chicken and chips, left the majority didn't look that appealing.

Wasn't very busy, so staff were very attentive.

Sorry guys wouldn't recommend :(

“Dog friendly not”
Reviewed 2 October 2013 via mobile

Warning if you come here with a dog because it says dog's allowed then think again we came here 2-10-2013 and they are actually quite pathetic because our Jack Russell barked at their rather large dog we was asked to leave even though our dog is very friendly with people, I would give this place zero stars avoid at all costs if you own a dog

1 Thank Clive S
Diana1965, Owner at The Queens Pub, responded to this review, 3 October 2013
I am a dog lover and for that reason I allow dogs in the bar area of my pub, as I believe that a dog is an important part of your family, and their are not many places where you can have a meal children included in windermere with your dog. Well behaved dogs are most welcome, but your jack russel was not well behaved, as I walked past you your dog attacked my old but well behaved dog Sheba, thus causing a drinks to be spilt over other customers who was sat opposite you, your dog continued to growl snarl and bark as I cleaned up the mess that your dog created. I was about to ask you to leave but you beat me to it. I can understand that you love your dog and you are used to your dogs behaviour but not everyone is a dog lover and I have to consider other customers. You are welcome to come back as long as you control your dog.
Perth, Australia
“Avoid this place at all costs”
Reviewed 17 September 2013

It's not hard to serve a beer and provide a menu to a weary traveller but the staff at this pub managed to fail this task miserably. The staff are lazy and disinterested, and the food is absolute slop! Roast beef which is overcooked and potatoes which had gone hard and dry. Curry chicken prepared using Keens curry paste, flour and water with papadams dripping with oil all at a premium price. It's a shame as it is a lovely old hotel. Avoid this place, send the owners packing and get someone in there who understands hospitality!

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank Scaifes
Diana1965, Owner at The Queens Pub, responded to this review, 18 September 2013
Thankyou for your review, the Queens is NOT A HOTEL! Is in Fact a very well supported LOCAL PUB, we have Sky, B.T, Espn sport, and racing U K. on 3 large flat screen T. V. s We also support our local Rugby, football and cricket Teams with food and Kits, I support the community that supports me. Our food is homemade from local resources, although our trade is 70% wet, in the summer we sell over 1000 main meals a week. our cask ale has the cask marque award. I was waiting on when you came into the pub, I do remember you, why did you not complain at the time you ate and paid for your meal, if their was a problem I would of been happy to sort it out. I found your review apart from untrue, offensive, and very upsetting how would you like to be told to pack your bags !
Barnsley, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“AVOID THIS PLACE ...Disgusting food and service”
Reviewed 16 September 2013

We went here because they had an offer on, 2 steaks £20.00. Wish we had never stepped foot in the place... Down in the bar its just like a local working men's club, dirty, sticky carpets, smelly. just not nice at all, the menus had food stuck on them. just a filthy place.. I should have listened to my instincts and told my husband to get our money back, unfortunately we were so hungry and we had decided we wanted steak before sitting down so I found a table and he went to the bar to order and get drinks.... He could see the look on my face what I thought of the place, as we sat down we noticed there was an upstairs seating area "restaurant" so we went to sit upstairs and told the bar man we had moved.

Once up there we were greeted by a young girl, European with good English she brought us our steak knifes and napkins. 15-20 mins later our food arrived, Waitress was friendly and said "enjoy your meals"!!!! if only. I cut into my steak and found it to be very fatty with more fat than meat, the onion rings were dripping in fat and see through... The chips looked and tasted they had been warmed up!! Totally disgusing plate of food,

My husbands was not much better but he did manage to eat half of his meal. I left all mine, there was no meat so what was I to eat..

The waitress came over and asked if everything was ok, I told her it was the worst meal I had ever been served in a pub, she looked at me with a blank look on her face "said nothing and walked away" We thought she was going to speak to the chef??? Oh no she went and never came back we waited 15 more mins and went downstairs to complain to the bar manager who may I say was very good, he apologised and gave us £10.00 back, which we appreciated but considering the meal with 2 drinks and side orders cost £32.00 we felt ripped off big time..

1 Thank boxerluver
Diana1965, Owner at The Queens Pub, responded to this review, 17 September 2013
Firstly I apologise for my carpets being of need of a clean, this has now been done now that schools have gone back. as the Queens is a very busy pub I have them professionally cleaned every six months.
As you found my pub so disgusting, so dirty, so smelly, so unpleasant,( ''the look on my face,'') so why did you not walk out if it was so dad why did you pick up a dirty menu and order food. If I had walked in to a pub like that I would not have stayed one minute. (I certainly don't own one) Dorota did tell the chef that you were unhappy, but he could not see you immediately as he had lot of checks on, but you had gone when he came to see you after only waiting about five minutes. Alan my barman that night said you were unhappy with the 8oz sirloin steaks 2 for £20.00. and the basket of home made onion rings in beer batter for £2.00, but as most of your meal had bean eaten one steak was completely gone he refused to give all of your money back but he did give you £10 back, we had sold 35 steaks that night with no complaints I think that you had a very cheep evening.