“Good Beer!”

Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Stafford, United Kingdom
“Good Beer!”
Reviewed 27 March 2014

The cask ales are good, and yes pricey ... But it is a tourist area, it's to be expected!
Good news it is dog friendly, but no water was offered for him here :-( Speak as you find, I must admit the 'locals' were OK one kind lady even gave our dog a chew and one or two of them had a brief chat mainly about the dog. Don't forget every pub relies on its local to keep it going throughout the year
The loos could do with an up date. Apart from that it was your average local pub

• Visited March 2014
Diana1965, Owner at The Queens Pub, responded to this review, 28 March 2014
Thank you for your review. Dogs and children are welcome in the Queens. There are dog bowls by the fireplace with water in. I do agree with you about the toilets and I would like to have them done. But the landlords enterprise inns do not help with any maintenance and repair s and their is always something else that needs repairing. (They are better than the bathroom I have upstairs) it is very expensive here because we are in a national park and an area of special scientific interest l could not afford a house here. When you were here we were having the front steps replaced and next job is the seats need recoveing. A pub is a black hole when it comes to money.

• Polish first
Stafford, United Kingdom
“Rough as they come”
Reviewed 25 March 2014 via mobile

We popped in for a drink and assess weather to eat here or not glad we didn't it was a Tuesday evening and it was quite busy with locals/regulars who tend to make you feel un welcome not very tourist friendly!!! The locals need to realise pubs like this need passing trade and tourism!!

Visited March 2014
1 Thank Kcrackers
Leigh
“Sorry but i wouldn't recommend a visit”
Reviewed 25 March 2014

Visited this pub last weekend. Before we went there i hadn't read any reviews on TripAdvisor and i have based this review on what i experienced.
Firstly, we ate food upstairs in the restaurant. Had the burger and chips meal. No problems with it. The meal was as expected. No thrill and spills so to speak just a typical burger and chips meal. The upstairs restaurant was quiet whilst we were there and the Lady who served us was fine and helpful.
We had two drinks whilst in the pub, one with the meal. Now, i must be a very lucky man where i live because the price of drinks in the town centre pubs is cheap compared to the price of drinks in the Queens. To be honest the prices here are more akin to London prices. For example, a pint of bitter and a Koppaberg pear cider came in at £7.45. A pint of bitter and a G & T (tonic came in one of those crafty diddy size bottles) came in at £7.90. The bitter was a typical brew and not one of those 7% "head scrambler" types. I say crafty regarding the tonic because the mark up on those must be high. Where i live a pint of bitter would be anything from £2.00 - £2.20. I don't drink Koppaberg and so i can't comment on the price of this back home. As i say regarding the bitter, these are town centre prices where i live. The Queens is not a place where you will have too many drinks unless you have substantial wealth or a substantial disposable income for alcohol. It's been a while since i have been to Windermere and i will return. It's a lovely part of the world. But this was an eye - opener so to speak. When you walk around Windermere town centre the Queens is the stand - out pub regarding its location. You don't see many other pubs obviously placed in the town. The Elleray is around the corner but to me it doesn't look like a typical pub. So the Queens is an obvious choice to step inside if you are looking for a typical pub. This may be part of the answer in that there is little competition.
We also went into the Elleray and their prices are similar regarding the bitter and Koppaberg (£7.40). The conclusion is that you feel, as a tourist, that you are being ripped off.
The atmosphere in the pub is generally fine. They have the football on the big screen and there is a good mix of people in the bar area. The locals do hog the bar for comfort as they do in most towns. Sadly, they probably feel like outsiders in their own town which is a shame because the tourists are not an invasion and they just mind their own business.
But the Queens is not a pub for a quiet drink and a chat if the football is on TV.
Sadly, not recommended.

• Visited March 2014
Diana1965, Owner at The Queens Pub, responded to this review, 26 March 2014
Our prices are average for this very expensive area. Our rent and rates are twice that of the pubs where you live. As I used to live in the same place. We are not a pub for a quiet drink. We are all most always busy, so I am very lucky that way when most traditional boozers have closed down just go to nearby kendal their is plenty of empty pubs. I don't know why yot only gave me 2 our of 5 as you did not say anything bad about the Queens as you said that it is a busy pub with a good mix of people in a good location showing sky sports with a quiet eating area up stairs. You had no complaints about the food or service. In the summer we have the front patio set out with chrome tables and chairs which does get the sun all day and in the evening we have an uberella with heaters. We have live music on Thursday nights. I would like to know what it was that made you give me only 2 points as theirs nothing in your review only that you perhaps don't like pups with sports or a jukebox and that you like cheep beer in a word witherspoons. There is one in nearby kendal.
Wakefield
“One word - rough!”
Reviewed 19 March 2014

I suppose every place has its place like this one. Rowdy, rough & felt like we were intruders by the locals. Certainly wouldn't return, sorry folks.

Visited March 2014
Consett, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Disgraceful Attitude of Restaurant Staff”
Reviewed 14 March 2014

We visited the upstairs restaurant in the Queens pub on Sunday 16th February 2014. We were staying in Windermere for the week and decided to just have a pub type meal, we were not after anything fancy and this seemed a reasonable choice. From the minute we walked in, I felt we had made a mistake - the restaurant was untidy and the waitress didn't seem to know what she was doing - however, we had sat down by this point and thought we may as well order something to eat. My partner ordered garlic mushrooms to start (can't really go wrong with those) and I ordered a special of shish kebabs. When our starters arrived I was horrified to find that mine was completely raw mince in the middle, I cut all 3 open and they were all the same. My partner said we should send them back and called a passing waiter over saying "you will really have to do better than that, these are raw inside". This was met with an apology and he took them away. A couple of minutes later we heard a loud voice saying "oh yeah, I will do better than that next time alright!!!" We turned around to see who had said this and it was the Chef! My partner and I both picked up our coats and went to leave, this felt so rude and condescending, I could not believe that customers are treated so shabbily. As we went to leave, I actually said to the Chef "I think your comments are very rude and there is no way you should speak like that in front of your customers" to which he responded that he wasn't talking to us and that the kebabs were not raw, the mince had been minced that very morning and they were meant to be that way. I disagreed with this. I would never set foot inside this pub again and I don't advise you to either. They need to sort out their staff pronto.

• Visited February 2014