“Delicious!”

Price range: US$25 - US$45
Cuisines: British
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Reservations
Description: ADULT ONLY Allow us to tempt you with a diverse choice of dishes, prepared from the freshest local Cumbrian produce, with seasonal twists that remind you of your countryside location. A truly social setting for devoted food lovers. The restaurant takes the form of a conservatory which boasts stunning views towards the fells surrounding Windermere and is a place that can be enjoyed by those romantically inclined as well as those celebrating a special occasion. Probably one of the best restaurants in Windermere, Applegarth Villa produces exquisite food in a relaxed environment. This is the perfect place to indulge in a menu which will set your taste buds alive. After dinner, enjoy coffee and liquors beside a roaring fire in one of our two comfortable lounges. Our Head Chef uses only the finest ingredients, promoting where possible local produce. We hope you enjoy The Applegarth Villa experience and Head Chef, John Kelly will only be too pleased to discuss any special dietary requirements you may have. We would advise booking to avoid disappointment. In consideration of our many guests who join us to escape family and business pressures, we are unable to welcome children into our Windermere restaurant.
Bristol
“Delicious!”
Reviewed 2 September 2014

We ate at the Applegarth all three nights of our stay in Windermere, and found it absolutely delicious. The choice on the menu is perfect, with something for every taste, and the staff were also lovely and very accommodating to any special requirements - they were very helpful in letting us change table to a quiet corner (just one of my personal idiosyncrasies!) and remembered to seat us there the next night too. I'd like to say that the Chicken and Haggis that I had on the first night was the best thing on the menu - it was totally yummy, but the fillet steak I had the next night was one of the best steaks I've had, so I can't call a favourite between them! I'm not one for puddings, but really enjoyed the cheese slate, and also had the sorbet on one evening - excellent flavours, the best was the Pink Grapefruit - but my husband sampled the desserts and the sticky toffee pudding is a must if you are visiting. The only thing I would like to see here would be the addition of a daily special to the menu to give a bit of variety if you are dining here on several subsequent nights - although I suppose it's not needed as I'd happily eat the chicken and haggis several nights in a row!
After dinner I had a scrummy floater coffee, with home made sweeties and we made a good attempt at sampling the extensive whisky menu. Eating at the Applegarth is a relaxed and sociable experience that will leave you very satisfied, and I for one, appreciated the peaceful child-free environment. On a final note, if you are staying here, the breakfast is one of the best I've had in any hotel, and the American pancakes I ordered on our final morning were awesome!

• Visited August 2014
ApplegarthVilla, Owner at Applegarth Villa Restaurant, responded to this review, 3 September 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review the Applegarth Restaurant. You really did seem to have a fun time choosing your dishes and we are delighted you enjoyed the relaxed atmosphere.Hope to see you again soon

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Chester, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Absolute Foodie Heaven”
Reviewed 28 August 2014

I stayed at the Applegarth in August and made a point of dining in the restaurant, not only for breakfast, but also for evening meal. I stayed for 4 nights and the first night I had a mouth-wateringly good pork terrine starter followed by the very best fillet steak ,chips and a divine Diane sauce I think I have ever had and just managed to squeeze in a delicious cheescake sweet. Although I promised myself that I would have something different every night of my stay ,I did succumb to the fillet steak again as it was so good John makes the most awesome soups which again were so good I had to have on 2 occasions.Every other meal was of excellent flavour, tastefully presented and amazingly good sized portions,a good choice of wine is also a bonus,and the service, and the fantastic view of the sun setting over the fells made this an unforgettable experience,to which I will return .
The breakfast is equally as good and a wide choice is offered,regrettably I am addicted to a good full English and this was exactly that, the scrambled egg was excellent, light and fluffy not dried out ,or watery, just spot on and this did not disappoint . I do have a question ,although it did not directly effect my meal , the sugar is presented in lump form, both brown and white , which is a refreshing change from most places. So how do you go on if you require sugar for your cereal or porridge?
I think if The Applegarth Villa Restaurant was anywhere near my house I would eat in ther everyday.

• Visited August 2014
ApplegarthVilla, Owner at Applegarth Villa Restaurant, responded to this review, 2 September 2014
Oh what a lovely review and you told us you were going straight home to tile your kitchen! Don't worry about the sugar for your porridge we have maple syrup, brown sugar(uncubed) fresh double cream or fruit compote. As always it is a pleasure when you return to Applegarth and we all look forward, especially the reindeer!, to welcoming you back for our Christmas festivities
Blackpool, United Kingdom
“Very impressed!”
Reviewed 28 August 2014

My partner and I were staying at the hotel for a short trip to the Lakes and decided to have our evening meal there too. Dining out can be a stressful experience for me as I can be quite the fussy eater and there are a few things I am allergic to. I contacted the Applegarth a week before we were due to visit and explained the situation and enquired about the flexibility of the menu to suit my needs. I received a very prompt reply in which I was told if I let them know in advance what I would like then they will make it for me! I responded (feeling slightly cheeky!) with what I would like and was put at ease by the staff who assured me this would be no problem and to let them know if I required anything else. On top of this brilliant service, the food was delicious, my partner and I thoroughly enjoyed our meals and sticky toffee pudding for dessert was fab! Would highly recommend! Thank you Applegarth!

• Visited August 2014
ApplegarthVilla, Owner at Applegarth Villa Restaurant, responded to this review, 28 August 2014
We are delighted to be able to accommodate your dietary requirements. Having a daughter ourselves who cannnot even look at anything gluten we are very much aware of the limited menus that available to people with dietary issues and since Head Chef makes everything onsite he knows exactly what the ingredients are and can create the menu accordingly.
St Helens, United Kingdom
“First class food”
Reviewed 27 August 2014

We visited the restaurant for our 20th wedding anniversary and we were not disappointed! The food is delicious and the wine is top quality. The steak was mouth watering and the Bailey's and marscapone cheesecake was heavenly! We are regular visitors and we rate it as the best restaurant we have ever been to.

• Visited August 2014
Thank you for choosing our restaurant to celebrate your 20th wedding anniversary. We are delighted you had a lovely time and we look forward to your next visit
“No requirement to be so rude”
Reviewed 27 August 2014

I had booked this restaurant for my wife's 30th Birthday after reading the excellent reviews on Tripadvisor. We also had two friends from Australia who were joining us for dinner. We had booked the table for 7.30pm in order that our 13 month old daughter would be completely asleep in her buggy so that the atmosphere shared by all would not be ruined in any way.
We were shown to the bar/lounge area and the given the drinks menu which looked comprehensive on first glance until I was most rudely addressed by the chef for committing the heinous crime of bringing a sleeping baby into a restaurant. The chef stated that we had to leave as they were "not insured to have children" at any location within the building. This is quite clearly ridiculous as they are merely young humans.

We have dined at many of the UK's top restaurants to which we have often taken our daughter in the exact same way, to which most establishments including Michelin starred restaurants have been nothing shy of fantastic on accommodating a sleeping baby.

I have since read the Applegarth website in full before writing this review and I do see that they have a no children policy which I completely understand and respect. What I object to is the rude and aggressive manner at which this was brought to my attention. It was embarrassing for me and my party and everyone else present.

We had a great meal at Wild and Co where my daughter did not make so much as a murmur from 8pm to 11.00pm when we were leaving.

5 Thank Paul G
Thank you so much for your review and for clearly pointing out that Applegarth is Adult only. Although all our literature and website clearly state Applegarth is adult only you decided to book a table for 4 without mentioning you were bringing a child and buggy. When you arrived our Waitress said that unfortunately we were unable to accommodate your party as you had failed to mention you were bringing a child. We were absolutely astonished when you refused to leave which resulted in our waitress and Manageress becoming very upset at your attitude and the Head Chef/Partner of the business having to be called
I am sure there are many restaurants who are happy to accommodate your child but we would be grateful if you would respect our decision and that of our many Guests who choose to stay and dine with us in an Adult environment.