“Not what you're led to believe.” 3 of 5 bubbles

Low Wood Bay
Ranked #12 of 20 Hotels in Windermere
GreenLeadersGold level
Durham
“Not what you're led to believe.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2011

Hotel itself is impressive. Lovely views, charming interior in the main hotel, leisure facilities spot on and served a nice breakfast.
However, room allocated was not in main hotel, but instead in an annexe. Room very small and decorated 1990s style. Very dusty and couldn't swing a cat in the bathroom.
Had to leave after 1 night, due to a noisy family above and loud, inconsiderate neighbours that laughed and carried on till nearly 3am and people coming and going (banging doors) to their room throughout this time. When booked did ask for quiet room. Finally got some sleep and was woken by the sound of our other neighbours using the toilet- seriously, the walls are paper thin!
After breakfast, we approached reception and stated that we were here on a relaxing spa break and at the room rate, do not expect to go home without having sleep. Stated that we have stayed in city centre hotels and slept better as it was quiter. There was no apology and definitely not 4* customer service. No offer to rectify things and just amended our bill to 1 night so we could check out.
Low wood looks nice on its website, but in reality we were left disappointed with our actual experience. Such a sad end to what we hoped would be a fabulous break.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
MichelleCroukamp, Deputy Manager at Low Wood Bay, responded to this review, 5 April 2011
Dear Guest, I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for the comments made on your recent review. It was gratifying to read that you found the hotel impressive and the interior charming, I will pass on your pleasing comments to both the leisure club and the food and beverage teams regarding the facilities and the nice breakfast.

With reference to the décor and quality of the rooms we do have an ongoing refurbishment schedule in place which commenced throughout the hotel in October to upgrade the few rooms that we believe are in need of upgrading. I would also like to express my sincere apologies for the disturbance caused by other guests within the hotel, we do where possible and when notified do our best to ensure that noise is kept to a minimum to avoid disturbances such as that of which you experienced.

The team at the hotel are very proactive in dealing with the few complaints that we receive, therefore should you wish to visit us again in the future I would be only too happy to deal with your booking personally and allocate to you the best room available. Kind Regards Michelle Croukamp, Deputy Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (492)
  • Thai first
Hartlepool
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2011

We checked in and the hotel reception was very grand and impressive.

The room we had allocated was not in the main grand hotel and was quite a walk.

When we got to the room it was clean but a little fission ting as not as grand as the main hotel I would stay again but only if I had a room in the main hotel.

We had paid for a lake view and we got a lake view but would say make sure your room is in the main hotel

• Stayed February 2011
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Dear Guest, thank you for the review posted on Trip Advisor. You may be interested to know that all Trip-advisor reviews are conveyed to the team and our directors. The team at the hotel are very proactive in dealing with the few complaints that we receive, therefore should you wish to visit us again in the future I would be only too happy to deal with your booking personally and allocate to you the best room available in the main part of the hotel. Kind Regards Michelle Croukamp, Deputy Manager.
Birkenhead, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2011

We stayed for 2 nights, the first being on a special offer. The hotel was first rate from the moment we checked in to checking out. We arrived a little early and the room was ready. The room was quiet and we could make a cup of tea or coffee when we wanted. We liked the swimming pool and jacuzzi which was very relaxing. The food was excellent and the staff were very welcoming and polite. We loved the views across Lake Windermere.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
MichelleCroukamp, Deputy Manager at Low Wood Bay, responded to this review, 29 March 2011
Dear Guest, thank you so much for the fantastic review - I was delighted to read that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay. We are always happy to read any reviews from our guests on trip advisor, as feedback is essential be it positive or negative. I will pass on your comments to the team.

I am glad you enjoyed the leisure facilities and that you made the most of the Jacuzzi. I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future for another enjoyable break. Once again thank you for your review. Kind Regards, Michelle Croukamp, Deputy Manager
Manchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2011

The room we stayed in was split level, the bathroom quite far from the bedroom. The bedroom was dusty and the velux roof windows didn't open and were dirty (room 304). The breakfast was good although we were not given the option of a lake view table even though there were alot of lake view tables vacant. Reception staff were friendly. Bar unattended so we didn't have a drink in the evening. Alot could be improved.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
Dear Guest, I was very sorry to read that you felt your recent stay at the hotel was average. Guest feedback is very important to us and your points will be discussed and actioned by myself and the team.

The team at the hotel are very proactive in dealing with the few complaints that we receive, I am sorry you did not bring your concerns to our attention sooner as I am sure that we would have been able to rectify them if we were given the opportunity. I hope your recent stay does not deter you from visiting the hotel again in the future. Kind Regards Michelle Croukamp, Deputy Manager.
Ripon, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2011

this our third stay at the low wood and everything about it is great the staff are all lovely and always do what they can the food at both dinner and breakfast is very very good and the pool and outside hot tub is fab

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Dear Guest, thank you for such a rewarding review. You may be interested to know that all Trip-advisor reviews are conveyed to the team and our directors. Thank you for sharing your comments with all trip advisor users. We look forward to seeing you again in the future. Kind Regards, Michelle Croukamp, Deputy Manager
Cleator, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2011

I organised a large event for the Lancia Motor Club with over 100 club members staying at Low Wood. In the build up to the event, the booking staff bent over backwards to ensure that all of my requirements for the event were met.

On arrival, the reception staff were extremely friendly. Many of the club members were able to enjoy some good banter with the reception staff which added to the relaxed feel of the event that I had organised.

The food, both in the bar and the restaurant were of an extremely high standard and the serving staff incredibly efficient. We made use of the private function room for a gala dinner on our second night in the hotel. I found that the team work shown be the serving staff to be of an extremely high standard. The speed of service was exceptional with only 10 minutes wait between courses - no mean feat when serving about 105 people, and by far the quickest I have experienced at similar events!

I found that all of the staff involved were extremely friendly and helpful, and they will do anything to help make your stay an enjoyable one.

All of the people within my group said that they would definitely go back I will be recommending Low Wood Bay Hotel to all of my family and friends. Highly recommended!!

• Stayed March 2011
1 Thank Stu_128
Dear Stuart, thank you so much for the fantastic review - I was delighted to read that you thoroughly enjoyed your recent Lancia Motor Club event. We are always happy to read any reviews from our guests on trip advisor, especially concerning the staffing of your event from the build up to your departure/ I will pass on your excellent comments to the team within the hotel. I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future for another enjoyable event. Once again thank you for your review. Kind Regards, Michelle Croukamp, Deputy Manager.
Cumbria
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2011

My 13yr old son & I had a great overnight stay in this lovely hotel. i needed somewhere for half-term that would suit my need for a relaxing break and his for something active to do. The Leisure Centre gave us both that - he loved the pool & I loved my sea weed wrap! I even ventured into the Hot Tub outside in the chilly February air - refreshing ...
The food was exceptional - the Cumberland sausage very tasty & I can't remember what the dessert was called but it was mouthwatering.

Unfortunately the Water Sports Centre was closed for winter so we couldn't use that - lots of things to do including sailing, water skiing, kayaks and motor boats.

Our room overlooked the lake and was really comfortable and son loved the jacuzzi bath. The staff were really helpful and told us of some walks nearby that were not too difficult for us both to tackle.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
MichelleCroukamp, Deputy Manager at Low Wood Bay, responded to this review, 31 March 2011
Dear Guest, thank you so much for the fantastic review - I was delighted to read that you and your son thoroughly enjoyed your stay. I am glad that you both enjoyed the leisure facilities and the food, I must agree the Cumberland sausage is exceptional.

I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future for another enjoyable break. You may be interested to know that all Trip-advisor reviews are conveyed to the team and our directors. Thank you for sharing your comments with all trip advisor users. Kind Regards, Michelle Croukamp, Deputy Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Windermere
Applegarth Villa and Restaurant
Waterhead Hotel
Waterhead Hotel
#1 of 12 in Ambleside
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,602 reviews

Been to Low Wood Bay? Share your experiences!