“A beautiful hotel with outstanding staff”

Low Wood Bay Resort & Spa
Ranked #12 of 20 Hotels in Windermere
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 14 October 2011

I read other reviews with a mixture of feelings. We had been invited for a family wedding, so we knew it was going to be busy, but we needn't have worried, it was fantastic. Every single member of staff was excellent. Even 2 days after the wedding, they were still asking us if we had enjoyed it. Even when my sisters car windscreen had a nasty run in with a large stone, the staff at the hotel were on hand to offer mugs of tea to the little man who came to fix it. It was the small things that made it so special - the fresh milk delivered within 3 minutes for a cup of tea in my room; the lavender "pillow mist" that you could spray on for a good nights sleep. Talking of which, the beds are HUGE. I needed a map to get to the other side! It was just an excellent experience. We had a "split level suite" which had a living area downstairs and a bed upstairs. The leisure club was great as well - a really nice pool and a hot tub outside - which was well used despite the miserable weather.

The only thing that I could say is that our room was right next to where the laundry comes in - at 6am. But the bed was so comfy and we were so tired I fell asleep again immediately.

The food was outstanding as well. We had breakfast and an evening meal (as well as the wedding reception) and they were all excellent quality and piping hot.

I can't recommend this place highly enough, although the pricing structure was a little odd. I paid less for a huge suite than my sister did for a standard room!

Room Tip: Lake view rooms are noisier (they face the road as well). Suites are good value for money, but avoid...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Nessie99
NevilJeffery, General Manager at Low Wood Bay Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 27 October 2011

Dear Nessie99 thank you so much for the fantastic review - I am delighted to read that you thoroughly enjoyed you’re your stay and indeed the wedding celebrations. Sorry to read about your sisters car windscreen, hope this was fixed quickly. Thank you for noting the little extras we offer in our feature rooms, I as you enjoy the pillow mist, it helps relax you and aids a good nights sleep I think. Our pricing structure is based on early booking rewarded with 50% off, you must have been organised and booked very early. Kind regards Nevil Jeffery

There are newer reviews for Low Wood Bay Resort & Spa

Reviewed 13 October 2011

We stayed at the Low Wood Hotel for a two night break with our 6 year old son. On arrival we were greeted warmly by reception staff and given directions to our room (304). This was a split level room so to accomadate our 6 year old son. When walking to our room we had to walk past the housekeeping office and bedding store also the corridors were quite shabby and in need of some updating. The room was very spacious and clean if not slightly dated and sparse. It was at this point we could hear a constant drone which we discovered to be comming from the large extractor fans outside our windows. As my wife is a very light sleeper we asked reception for another room. The receptionist and porter were both very nice and we were shown a couple of rooms at the back of the hotel which were spacious enough to accomadate our son's camp bed.
The hotel/reception/lounge/bar area is beautiful and is very relaxed especially if you have children. The food was top class even when ordering room service the standard was still high with no extra charges.
The breakfast was a pleasurable expierience with great views across the lake, a great choice for all.
We used the leisure facilities which were acceptable but as it is a club to the public it is not of a spa standard. The hot tub is fantastic!
All the staff at the Low Wood are very friendly and helpful and nothing is a problem.
Overall we would definitly stay at this hotel but would ask for a room at the rear and for us this hotel could easily become 5 star if they paid a little more attention to the finer details such as new lamps and a lick of paint here and there.
To explain the title wait until you have to iron a shirt..........

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the rear of the hotel
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family

Dear Guest thank you so much for writing a review after your two night family break. I am pleased to read in the main you enjoyed your stay and I am pleased you brought to our attention your needs to move from room 304. Sorry if you thought our leisure club was to be a spa prior to arrival, we certainly do not advertise this as such. I am pleased you found all the staff friendly and nothing was to much trouble. I sincerely hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you all back in the near future. Kind Regards Nevil Jeffery

Reviewed 12 October 2011

I have stayed at the Low Wood Hotel every September for 3 nights the last 7 years for both business and pleasure / hill walking. I always ask for a room at the rear of the property in the new wing, as the rooms are bigger and quieter. The rooms in the original building are dingy and the sounds from the bars and restaurants carry all too easily to 1st floor rooms. In the new wing however, mobile phone signals are poor and the in-house internet access is very primitive.

The staff are always very helpful and everything is well done, but at a price. There is a excellent spa and fitness centre, the hotel bar is not as friendly or welcoming since it was moved and given a makeover.

Beware of Saturdays nights if you want a quiet evening, Low Wood caters for a lot of weddings and so there is always a lively crowd o guests! Every time I have stayed 30% of the guests have been Japanese on a whistle-stop tour of the Lakes, which means breakfast is very crowded as soon as it opens. There is ample ca parking and you are in the heart of the Lakes for walking and water sports. A great hotel if you get the right room!

Room Tip: I always ask for a room at the rear of the property in the new wing, as the rooms are bigger and qui...
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business

Dear Guest thank you for your review, after your September break. So pleased to read this is your seventh year of visiting the Low Wood Bay. I can confirm that in recent years many of our old house rooms have been refurbished to a very high standard, maybe next time you will ask to see one. Sorry you find our internet access poor, however we do have the very best available system able to cater for this rural setting. Thank you for your comments and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future, remember to ask to see one of the refurbished feature rooms next time. Kind Regards Nevil Jeffery

Reviewed 10 October 2011

I have just returned from an overall enjoyable stay here however there were a few points that let the hotel down. What I will say before I start rattling out the bad points. The staff and the management accepted the negative points and tried to help and also settled our bill at the end of our stay due to the problems we had. I would return to the hotel on the excellent customer service alone.
The good points out way the bad with this hotel and the pool, gym and outdoor hot tub are excellent and of a great standard. The outdoor hot tub in the rain over looking the lake is a wonderful experience!
The breakfast on the first morning was wonderful, hot and fresh but on the second day a little cold and delayed.
We stayed in room 502 and I would say if your a heavy sleeper and the corridor door banging all night wont wake you then this is the room for you but if not try avoid this room. On the 1st night not only did we have the lively door outside our room but we had what could only be described as a jet fan going off inside our room! We later got told by reception it was a bathroom fan in someone's room due to them leaving the bathroom light on. This eventually went off at 1am ish! The second night we did only have the banging door but even after a bottle of champagne I was still woken by it. The room is also a little dingy as it has one of the smallest windows I have seen. Also the bedside lamps were thick with dust which isn't a nice touch when its by your head! We did ask to move rooms on arrival but unfortunately the hotel was full. I was a little disappointed by the room overall as this stay was a birthday present from my family but as I mentioned before the management responded brilliantly to my nagging!
The hotel overall is a wonderful place to stay for a romantic weekend away or mid week stay and I would easily return and would have happily stayed another night or 2.

Room Tip: Stay away from room 502 and the courtyard views as they tend to have the mini windows in them!
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest thank you for your review, to which in the whole you enjoyed your stay. I am pleased when highlighted issues had been dealt with speedily and to your satisfaction. I can confirm, since your stay we have replaced to door closer on the fire door outside room 502, thank you for highlighting this which has ensured the same issue is not experienced by other guest in the future. I have also ensured this room has been cleaned to the standards I would expect and our housekeeper apologizes on behalf of the team. Again thank you for bringing these matters to my attention and I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon. Nevil Jeffery

Reviewed 4 October 2011

We stayed just one night. Our room was one of the house rooms facing the hill at the back. It was perfectly nice, big bathroom, comfy bed. The window was quite small, but that's the only bad thing. We enjoyed drinks overlooking the view of the Lake. The staff were very friendly and food good, although I'd probably not say it was worth the cost. Steak was £22, salmon £18.50 - both nice - but we are in Cumbria where you can get good meals at a fraction of the cost. Breakfast was excellent. Nice to see Cumberland sausage on the menu. I enjoyed the swimming pool - nice and quiet in the early morning. The outdoor hot tub is great too, with a view of the lake. We always enjoy English Lakes Hotels properties.

Room Tip: Lake view rooms are probably best, we were offered an upgrade at reception for £20.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SheilasWheels

Dear Guest, thank you for your review, and that you enjoyed your one night stay in the main. I read you enjoyed the food offering, and appreciated the Cumberland Sausage at breakfast. Hopefully we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon, maybe for 2 or 3 nights next time, kind regards Nevil Jeffery

Reviewed 29 September 2011

My husband and I had a one night stay, wish it could have been longer ! All the staff were so kind and helpful, the room was lovely with the lake view, The food was first class as was the service. Would highly recommend the hotel.Hope to return one day.

THE CLARKS

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Eunice C
MichelleCroukamp, Operations Manager at Low Wood Bay Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 30 September 2011

Dear Guest, thank you so much for the fantastic review and great comments regarding our team. - I was delighted to read that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay. I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future. Kind Regards Michelle Croukamp, Operations Manager.

Reviewed 28 September 2011

We stopped for two nights and had a fabulous time the location was ideal just four mile from bowness harbour the hotel as its own boat that takes you to bowness a couple of time a day and you can pick up the last bus 555 at 10 32 from the harbour the hotel as a very nice pool and keep fit area pool /hot tub /sauna /steam room and all this and a very good breakfast english or continental we touched out lucky with views over the lake and marina very nice to wake up to in the mornings one word of warning allthough the rooms at the front have stunning views the road noise is a bit to loud

Room Tip: like i said the rooms on the front are the best so take ear plugs and enjoy the lovely views
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends

Dear Guest, thank you so much for the fantastic review - I was delighted to read that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay. I will pass on your comments to the team. I am glad you enjoyed the leisure facilities and the hotel’s waterbus service. I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future for another enjoyable break. Once again thank you for your review. Kind Regards, Michelle Croukamp, Deputy Manager