“Good yet again”

Low Wood Bay Resort & Spa
Ranked #12 of 20 Hotels in Windermere
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 29 October 2011

The sixth time we have stayed here. It's great for families. The refurb that was carried out a couple of years ago has made a lot of difference to the place. Nice location too

1  Thank Durdy12
MichelleCroukamp, Operations Manager at Low Wood Bay Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 6 November 2011

Dear Guest, thank you for a rewarding review, I am pleased you enjoyed another break at the hotel You may be interested to know that all Trip-advisor reviews are conveyed to the team and our directors. We look forward to seeing you again in the future. Kind Regards, Michelle Croukamp, Operations Manager

Reviewed 18 October 2011

Just got back from low wood, after staying for our anniversary for the weekend, absolutly great the staff was very welcoming, the hotel ws spotless, We even had a anniversary balloon in our room with a card which was very nice, on our second night we was going to go out for a romantic meal but ended up staying in the hotel restaurant as the food was excellent. if you decide to go when you go in the leisure facilities go out side to the hot tub, you can see the lake breath taking, thankyou to low wood for making our anniversay special xx

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
NevilJeffery, General Manager at Low Wood Bay Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 27 October 2011

Dear GailP Thanks so much for the fantastic review - I am delighted to read that you thoroughly enjoyed your anniversary break, in particular the welcome anniversary balloon and card. I am pleased you enjoyed the food and service within our Windermere Restaurant, as you say no need to venture out. I do hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to The Low Wood Hotel in the near future. Best regards Nevil Jeffery

Reviewed 15 October 2011

My husband and I went to this hotel using a 2 night voucher deal, so we expected a basic room and I was right, it overlooked the back of the kitchens. The noise from all the outdoor equipment, air cons etc. made it impossible to open the window and the room needed it.
Never mind, we bit the bullet and tried to sleep. In the dead of the night the noise was even louder and the room too hot. My husband slept on and off, the bed was really comfortable but I found it impossible to sleep.
In the morning I asked reception if we could be moved. The staff couldn’t have been more helpful, without hesitation they asked us to pack our bags and a porter would collect them. They gave us new door keys and I went for a much needed nap before going out for the day.
The room was great, they upgraded us to a suite and all I could hear was birdsong. A very comfortable super king size bed and a huge bathroom.
The breakfasts both days were of normal hotel quality but more than adequate for our needs.
I’m not going to criticize small details about the hotel because we received value for money (more than)
All the employees, reception, waiting and bar staff were very polite and helpful.
Leisure spa facilities were good and I especially liked the outdoor hot tub, with the typical Lake District rain and wind on my face.

I’m going to recommend a couple of restaurants we ate at on our stay in another review.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room at the back of hotel
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple

Dear Jeanie195 Thank you for your review. Sorry your first nights accommodation was not as peaceful as it should have been, however it pleases me once brought to our attention the team reacted speedily. Pleased the second room was better and you found our breakfast offering adequate to your needs. Again thank you for writing this review and I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon

Reviewed 14 October 2011

I read other reviews with a mixture of feelings. We had been invited for a family wedding, so we knew it was going to be busy, but we needn't have worried, it was fantastic. Every single member of staff was excellent. Even 2 days after the wedding, they were still asking us if we had enjoyed it. Even when my sisters car windscreen had a nasty run in with a large stone, the staff at the hotel were on hand to offer mugs of tea to the little man who came to fix it. It was the small things that made it so special - the fresh milk delivered within 3 minutes for a cup of tea in my room; the lavender "pillow mist" that you could spray on for a good nights sleep. Talking of which, the beds are HUGE. I needed a map to get to the other side! It was just an excellent experience. We had a "split level suite" which had a living area downstairs and a bed upstairs. The leisure club was great as well - a really nice pool and a hot tub outside - which was well used despite the miserable weather.

The only thing that I could say is that our room was right next to where the laundry comes in - at 6am. But the bed was so comfy and we were so tired I fell asleep again immediately.

The food was outstanding as well. We had breakfast and an evening meal (as well as the wedding reception) and they were all excellent quality and piping hot.

I can't recommend this place highly enough, although the pricing structure was a little odd. I paid less for a huge suite than my sister did for a standard room!

Room Tip: Lake view rooms are noisier (they face the road as well). Suites are good value for money, but avoid...
1  Thank Nessie99

Dear Nessie99 thank you so much for the fantastic review - I am delighted to read that you thoroughly enjoyed you’re your stay and indeed the wedding celebrations. Sorry to read about your sisters car windscreen, hope this was fixed quickly. Thank you for noting the little extras we offer in our feature rooms, I as you enjoy the pillow mist, it helps relax you and aids a good nights sleep I think. Our pricing structure is based on early booking rewarded with 50% off, you must have been organised and booked very early. Kind regards Nevil Jeffery

Reviewed 13 October 2011

We stayed at the Low Wood Hotel for a two night break with our 6 year old son. On arrival we were greeted warmly by reception staff and given directions to our room (304). This was a split level room so to accomadate our 6 year old son. When walking to our room we had to walk past the housekeeping office and bedding store also the corridors were quite shabby and in need of some updating. The room was very spacious and clean if not slightly dated and sparse. It was at this point we could hear a constant drone which we discovered to be comming from the large extractor fans outside our windows. As my wife is a very light sleeper we asked reception for another room. The receptionist and porter were both very nice and we were shown a couple of rooms at the back of the hotel which were spacious enough to accomadate our son's camp bed.
The hotel/reception/lounge/bar area is beautiful and is very relaxed especially if you have children. The food was top class even when ordering room service the standard was still high with no extra charges.
The breakfast was a pleasurable expierience with great views across the lake, a great choice for all.
We used the leisure facilities which were acceptable but as it is a club to the public it is not of a spa standard. The hot tub is fantastic!
All the staff at the Low Wood are very friendly and helpful and nothing is a problem.
Overall we would definitly stay at this hotel but would ask for a room at the rear and for us this hotel could easily become 5 star if they paid a little more attention to the finer details such as new lamps and a lick of paint here and there.
To explain the title wait until you have to iron a shirt..........

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the rear of the hotel
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family

Dear Guest thank you so much for writing a review after your two night family break. I am pleased to read in the main you enjoyed your stay and I am pleased you brought to our attention your needs to move from room 304. Sorry if you thought our leisure club was to be a spa prior to arrival, we certainly do not advertise this as such. I am pleased you found all the staff friendly and nothing was to much trouble. I sincerely hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you all back in the near future. Kind Regards Nevil Jeffery

Reviewed 12 October 2011

I have stayed at the Low Wood Hotel every September for 3 nights the last 7 years for both business and pleasure / hill walking. I always ask for a room at the rear of the property in the new wing, as the rooms are bigger and quieter. The rooms in the original building are dingy and the sounds from the bars and restaurants carry all too easily to 1st floor rooms. In the new wing however, mobile phone signals are poor and the in-house internet access is very primitive.

The staff are always very helpful and everything is well done, but at a price. There is a excellent spa and fitness centre, the hotel bar is not as friendly or welcoming since it was moved and given a makeover.

Beware of Saturdays nights if you want a quiet evening, Low Wood caters for a lot of weddings and so there is always a lively crowd o guests! Every time I have stayed 30% of the guests have been Japanese on a whistle-stop tour of the Lakes, which means breakfast is very crowded as soon as it opens. There is ample ca parking and you are in the heart of the Lakes for walking and water sports. A great hotel if you get the right room!

Room Tip: I always ask for a room at the rear of the property in the new wing, as the rooms are bigger and qui...
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business

Dear Guest thank you for your review, after your September break. So pleased to read this is your seventh year of visiting the Low Wood Bay. I can confirm that in recent years many of our old house rooms have been refurbished to a very high standard, maybe next time you will ask to see one. Sorry you find our internet access poor, however we do have the very best available system able to cater for this rural setting. Thank you for your comments and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future, remember to ask to see one of the refurbished feature rooms next time. Kind Regards Nevil Jeffery

Reviewed 10 October 2011

I have just returned from an overall enjoyable stay here however there were a few points that let the hotel down. What I will say before I start rattling out the bad points. The staff and the management accepted the negative points and tried to help and also settled our bill at the end of our stay due to the problems we had. I would return to the hotel on the excellent customer service alone.
The good points out way the bad with this hotel and the pool, gym and outdoor hot tub are excellent and of a great standard. The outdoor hot tub in the rain over looking the lake is a wonderful experience!
The breakfast on the first morning was wonderful, hot and fresh but on the second day a little cold and delayed.
We stayed in room 502 and I would say if your a heavy sleeper and the corridor door banging all night wont wake you then this is the room for you but if not try avoid this room. On the 1st night not only did we have the lively door outside our room but we had what could only be described as a jet fan going off inside our room! We later got told by reception it was a bathroom fan in someone's room due to them leaving the bathroom light on. This eventually went off at 1am ish! The second night we did only have the banging door but even after a bottle of champagne I was still woken by it. The room is also a little dingy as it has one of the smallest windows I have seen. Also the bedside lamps were thick with dust which isn't a nice touch when its by your head! We did ask to move rooms on arrival but unfortunately the hotel was full. I was a little disappointed by the room overall as this stay was a birthday present from my family but as I mentioned before the management responded brilliantly to my nagging!
The hotel overall is a wonderful place to stay for a romantic weekend away or mid week stay and I would easily return and would have happily stayed another night or 2.

Room Tip: Stay away from room 502 and the courtyard views as they tend to have the mini windows in them!
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest thank you for your review, to which in the whole you enjoyed your stay. I am pleased when highlighted issues had been dealt with speedily and to your satisfaction. I can confirm, since your stay we have replaced to door closer on the fire door outside room 502, thank you for highlighting this which has ensured the same issue is not experienced by other guest in the future. I have also ensured this room has been cleaned to the standards I would expect and our housekeeper apologizes on behalf of the team. Again thank you for bringing these matters to my attention and I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon. Nevil Jeffery