Low Wood Bay Resort & Spa
US$196
US$173
Agoda.com
  • Pool
The Windermere Hotel(Windermere)(Great Value!)
US$87
Agoda.com
US$189
Official Site
1,926 results
All reviewsblue smokeleisure clublake viewleisure facilitiesthe outdoor hot tubbusy roadbuilding workmain restaurantfeature roomlake districtlovely hotelkendal mint cakerestaurant staffsteam roomwedding partyhigh standardlots of choice
Reviewed 25 December 2011

Friendly staff, excellent facilities, scenic setting. Had a fantasic weekend there didn't want to go home!

• Stayed: November 2011
MichelleCroukamp, Operations Manager at Low Wood Bay Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2012

Dear Guest, thank you for such a rewarding review. You may be interested to know that all Trip-advisor reviews are conveyed to the team and our directors. Thank you for sharing your comments. We hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future. Kind Regards, Michelle Croukamp, Operations Manager

Reviewed 18 December 2011

The hotel has an excellent location, situated on the banks of Lake Windermere with outstanding views from the lake view rooms. The room itself (even after paying a £35 supplement to secure a 'superior' room) was average in size and the standard of the decor, although the bathroom (with a shower cubicle and a separate bath with spa) was enormous. We did not dine in the restaurant but the menu looked quite comprehensive, although it was a pity that room service was not available when we visited.

Small idyllic towns of Ambleside (from where cruises on the lake can be booked) and Kendal are nearby, as is the motorsports centre which is a short walk away.

In summary, this is a hotel with a fantastic location with views over Lake Windermere and is definitely worth a visit.

Room Tip: It is worthwhile paying £25/£35 extra per night for the lake view rooms to really take advantage of the location of this hotel.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank AMSET_8485
MichelleCroukamp, Operations Manager at Low Wood Bay Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 29 December 2011

Dear Guest, thank you for your recent review, I am pleased you enjoyed your break at the hotel and in particular the location and amazing views over Windermere. I am sorry that you were not offered room service, this facility is available 24 hours a day, I will look into the reason this was not available for you. You may be interested to know that all Trip-advisor reviews are conveyed to the team and our directors. We hope to see you again in the future. Kind Regards, Michelle Croukamp, Operations Manager

Reviewed 15 December 2011

Stayed here for 3 days last week. Need to be cautious on review as they had some real bad weather which isn't their fault. Rooms were okay food was reasonable but a little pricey staff were GREAT very pleasant. 2 issues 1: I need wireless Internet called asked if the room had it and when I got there the room on the 2nd floor didn't so they had to move me. The staff were more than happy to do this but I was lucky as the hotel was full to get a room change. Would NOT have been happy if I couldn't have changed and would have checked out. 2nd Issue ordered a packed lunch to take on walk with me. £12.50 for this I got 2 slices of bread and tuna a can of lemonade and a few other bits. Come on Mr manager 12.50 for a packed lunch is way way over the top but..... Having said that I would stay again nice rooms nice staff nice food.

• Stayed: December 2011

Dear Guest, thank you for a rewarding review regarding your recent visit to the hotel. You may be interested to know that all Trip-advisor reviews are conveyed to the team and our directors, I will ensure that your comments regarding the packed lunch is looked into. We look forward to seeing you again in the future. Kind Regards, Michelle Croukamp, Operations Manager

Reviewed 5 December 2011

We stayed at this delightful and imopressive hotel last weekend. The hotel is situated on Lake Windermere albeit across a busy road. However the road did not detract inane way from the beauty of the vista from the front of the hotel, and from our bedroom window.

Noise from the road was not an issue.

The hotel,room we had was excellently appointed with a large comfortable bed, wall mounted
TV, hair dryer, well and a well stocked tea tray. The hotel has a very large car park.

Food at the hotel was very good, the staff were friendly and helpful.

The hotel has a superb leisure club with swimming pool, sauna,,steam room, well appointed gym and an outdoor hot tub. Aquatic sports fans are also well catered for with the Low Wood Marina across the road.

This hotel is deserving of a highly recommend from me.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank RADCTurton
MichelleCroukamp, Operations Manager at Low Wood Bay Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 28 December 2011

Dear Guest, thank you for such a rewarding review, I am pleased you enjoyed your break at the hotel and that you were impressed with the room, the food and the staff. I will ensure all your comments are passed onto the leisure club team in particular. You may be interested to know that all Trip-advisor reviews are conveyed to the team and our directors. We look forward to seeing you again in the future. Kind Regards, Michelle Croukamp, Operations Manager

Reviewed 4 December 2011

Stayed at Low Wood Bay for 2 days. My experience of Lake District accommodation tends to be grand houses or chintzy b&b's. This place was a complete surprise! Very modern, clean and slick with a boutique edge. Bright airy reception, a number of different lounges with comfy seating and a modern bar that had an Italian feel about it. One of the lounges had a real fire in it which was lit from 9 am in the morning, this was great because the weather had turned while we were there. The dining room is huge and could feel a bit cavernous but the lighting and christmas decorations cosied it up a bit. I ate from the set menu (£26 for 2 courses, £29 for 3, both include a small glass of wine). The Fisherman's Pie was the best ever, so good that I didn't want my husband to talk to me while I was eating it! My husband ate from the al la carte and had venison, he thought it was good but a bit pricey at £24. Breakfast is served in the dining room, it's a self-service buffet, the food was good and reasonably priced at £12 continental, £15 cooked. We upgraded to a standard lake room view (£25 per night). Room 272 was nice and reasonably sized, the bed was huge and the view was beautiful, although you can't sit at the window to enjoy it, so I'm not sure if I would upgrade again. All lake views are at the front of the hotel by the road and there was a bit of traffic noise.

The gym is the best gym I've ever used. State of the art equipment, nearly everything you could possibly need to work out and it looks all new, just fantastic! The pool was a nice size, the water was warm and there was a powerful jacuzzi! The only negative for me was the lack of disabled changing facilities for the pool - although we were allowed to use the disabled toilet, there's no disabled/communal shower or locker facilities and you have to cross reception to get to and from the pool - I was tying myself up in knots trying to make it work for my husband - but hey ho!

The staff (from the reception to the gym to the restaurant) were possibly the best I've ever come across - polite, courteous, friendly, professional, attentive. Honestly there's a number of hotels who could really learn from this place. We so enjoyed our stay there that we're going back again, which is unusual for us.

We took the bus into Ambleside one evening - it's about a 10 minute journey and costs approx £3.35 return. But a word of warning - there's no bus stop, you stand where the pavement starts just down and across from the hotel and it's pitch black - you just hope the bus will see you, so take a torch and wear high-vis gear! We took a bus home - and another word of warning - there are very few buses in winter and our bus left the main bus stop in Ambleside 5 minutes early!

Another night we got a taxi from the Queens Head Troutbeck back to Low Wood and, last and final warning, a 4 mile journey at 5 pm cost us £12! Apparently the taxis can charge a call out fee because they're travelling from Windermere to get to you. But if you tell them you're from Low Wood and you've been advised there's no call out, they may not charge - we found out after.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest, thank you for a rewarding review, I am pleased you enjoyed your break at the hotel and in particular the décor in the hotel and the log fires. I will pass on your comments to the chef and his team regarding the fish pie, it does prove to be a popular dish, I will also pass on your comments to the leisure club team regarding the gym, again thank you for your comments. You may be interested to know that all Trip-advisor reviews are conveyed to the team and our directors. We look forward to seeing you again in the future. Kind Regards, Michelle Croukamp, Operations Manager