“FANTASTIC HOTEL”

Low Wood Bay Resort & Spa
Ranked #12 of 20 Hotels in Windermere
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 8 May 2012

Just got back from this lovely hotel and really enjoyed our stay. Our room was excellent with beautiful views over the lake. The room was well equipped with a large bed which was very comfortable. There was plenty of storage space with tea and coffee facilities including a teapot and coffee pot which was a nice touch. The bathroom was lovely with very nice toiletries and large fluffy white towels. The leisure facilities were also very good and although it was a bank holiday was not overcrowded enabling us to use steam room, sauna and jacuzzi. We ate at the restaurant and found the food very good with very attentive staff. The breakfast the next morning was excellent with lots of choice. Would definitely visit again.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank sdmNewcastleUponTyne
MichelleCroukamp, Operations Manager at Low Wood Bay Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2012

Dear Guest, thank you for your recent review. You may be interested to know that all Trip-advisor reviews are conveyed to the team and our directors. Thank you for sharing your comments with all trip advisor users. We look forward to seeing you again in the future. Kind Regards, Michelle Croukamp, Operations Manager

Reviewed 26 April 2012

Stayed mast weekend and overal was a good stay. The bar let the whole evening down.

I was happy to see a cocktail list on the bar so ordered my favourite cocktail a dry gin martinni.

What a disaster. The bartender had no idea how to make one and had to refer to the cocktail menu when making it.

The only thing he got right was serving it in a martinni glass. Never have I had such a horrid drink which was swimming in crushed ice which is not a martinni. You could not taste the gin due to the amout of vermouth put it.

I could have understood it if I had asked for something strange but a martinni is a classic and there is no excuse for not knowing how to make one especially when it's on the "menu"

Didn't bother to have another so went onto gin and tonic which was not what I really wanted.

Training re cocktail making needs carrying out if you are to offer them.

Stayed: April 2012
2  Thank Michael S
MichelleCroukamp, Operations Manager at Low Wood Bay Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 6 May 2012

Dear Guest, thank you for your recent review, I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay at the hotel although I would like to sincerely apologise that we were unable to provide you with your favorite cocktail as it should be served. I can assure you that training has been reviewed and actioned and your comments have been discussed with the team. We hope to see you again in the near future where we will be only to happy to provide you with a complementary Gin Martini. Kind Regards, Michelle Croukamp, Operations Manager

Reviewed 23 April 2012

Lovely hotel, with outstanding Dining Room and breakfast. Beautiful views of Lake Windermere from the front of the hotel. We got this stay on a Groupon Voucher 2 nights with Breakfast £129 Standard Room.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank LesleyinCITY

Dear Guest, thank you so much for the fantastic review - I was delighted to read that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay. You may be interested to know that all Trip-advisor reviews are conveyed to the team and our directors. I do hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Low Wood Bay in the near future. Kind Regards, Michelle Croukamp, Operations Manager

Reviewed 17 April 2012

Have just returned from a one night stay at Low Wood it exceeded my expectations. The photos on the website do not show how beautiful it is inside and out. The surroundings are stunning and the inside of the hotel is beautiful. On arrival staff were very friendly and helpful, we were showed to our room which was a lake view feature room, absolutely gorgeous. The decor is every girls dream of a perfect room! Massive windows with a view of the lake, huge comfy bed, bathroom was big with a shower and jacuzzi bath! Bottle of champage, chocolates and welcome card a lovely surprise!

The hotel restaurant is very grand and traditional, it is spaced out very well. We only had the pleasure of having breakfast which was plentiful and self service. Waiting staff were attentive and the breakfast was very nice, lots of choice.

We went on a lake cruise which we caught from a short distance away from the hotel it was amazing. Such a beautiful place. Many people have mentioned the noise from the road...it is a main road and of course you are going to hear the cars but it is not that bad that you cannot sleep. If you are going for a sleep fest take ear plugs but it didn't bother us, yes the windows are old but it is a listed building so they cannot fill it with horrible plastic windows, it would take away the charm.

We didnt get to use the leisure facilities but did have a look around and it is lovely, especially gutted I didn;t get to use the outdoor hot tub!

I would recommend this hotel.

Absolutely loved this hotel cannot wait to return. We have booked our wedding reception there for next year and I am confident all my guests will want to stay at such a lovely quaint hotel.

A massive thankyou to wedding co-ordinator Gemma and to Dawid and Michelle who all made our stay so lovely. Can't wait for the wedding!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Shelly P
MichelleCroukamp, Operations Manager at Low Wood Bay Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 19 April 2012

Dear Guest, thank you so much for the fantastic review - I was delighted to read that you thoroughly enjoyed all aspects of your stay. I am glad that you have chosen the hotel to be the venue for your very special day. On behalf Dawid, Gemma and the team we hope you enjoy the preparations for your forthcoming wedding and If we can be of any assistant please do not hesitate to contact us. You may be interested to know that we are attending the National Wedding show at the NEC in October 2012 as well as hosting our 4th annual wedding show at Low Wood Bay on 27th January 2013. We look forward to seeing you at the hotel for your next visit, hopefully in the not to distant future. Kind Regards, Michelle Croukamp, Operations Manager

Reviewed 8 April 2012

Had a fantastic stay at the Low Wood. Stayed here many times and always enjoy ourselves. We made good use of the swimming pool, hot tub and spa facilities. My husband arranged flowers for my birthday to be in our room on arrival which were beautiful - they lasted the 5 days of out stay and I even brought them home! We ate in the restaurant for the 4 evenings and would like to say a big thank you to Filipe for the wonderful service he provided. Nothing was too much trouble, he made sure we had everything we needed and suggested wines to accompany our meals. Filipe has excellent customer service skills and would like to ensure he is recognised. Food quality and taste was excellent. We even had a special lasagne made by the chef at our request. Thanks to all the staff for a very enjoyable stay. We hope to be back soon.

• Stayed: March 2012
2  Thank RuthieSilver

Dear regular guest, thank you for such a rewarding review I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your birthday celebrations at the hotel, I will pass your comments on to our florist that your flowers lasted long. It was also wonderful to read that you enjoyed so much the dining experience in our Windermere Restaurant, I have passed on your comments to Filip our Assistant Restaurant Manager and nominated him for a +1 award which is the company recognition program for staff who work hard to exceed our guest expectations. You may be interested to know that all reviews are conveyed to the team and our directors. Once again thank you for sharing your comments with all trip advisor users. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel once again in the future. Kind Regards, Michelle Croukamp, Operations Manager

Reviewed 8 April 2012

Stayed for a weekend birthday treat, hotel is ok but looking worn in parts. I was dissapointed as The room we were allocated was nothing like the rooms advertised on the hotels website and was very dark dingy and dated. I asked reception to change the room and had to pay £25 per night to change to a nicer room. We ate at the restaurant one night and found the food ok but nothing special. The second night we ate at Jatinta Thai which was highly recommended. You need to drive or take a taxi to the bars and restaurants.

Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank happytraveller1234

Dear Guest, Firstly I would like to thank you for your recent comments regarding your stay at Low Wood Bay, I hope that overall you enjoyed your birthday celebrations. I was however sorry to read that you felt the hotel was ok but nothing fantastic. In terms of the rooms advertised on the internet we are only able to offer in photo format one picture of each room type, therefore we chose a room that best represent each room type. The hotel has 111 bedrooms that in most cases are all very individual so we are unfortunaly unable to show each room. Rooms are allocated based on the room type booked with room upgrades available as you say at an additional charge, If a guest is not happy with the particular room a room move is offered in the same room type free of charge, only when a guest chooses to upgrade they are charged. Once again thank you for your comments and I hope we do have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future. Kind Regards Michelle Croukamp, Operations Manager.

Reviewed 8 April 2012

One night stay on my 65th birthday, recommended by my son and daughter who had both been here in the past. Reception well organised and very friendly greeting. Had a standard twin room with usual en suite and tea/coffee facilities. Decor ok and beds comfy but knowing that upgrades were available I suspect there were more attractive rooms to be had.
Dining room had a lovely ambience for evening dinner and breakfast was fine with varied menu. All the staff were pleasant and helpful. Located by the lake but was also on the A591 although being at the rear we found it very quiet through the night. Shower not very powerful on hot setting and bath slow to fill.

Room Tip: Lake views would be lovely.