“Hit & Miss”

Low Wood Bay Resort & Spa
Ranked #12 of 20 Hotels in Windermere
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 16 July 2012

My girlfriend & I (both 24) visited Low Wood via a KGB Deals offer for a chilled few days, and overall we had a pretty amazing stay.

Hit: Stunning location, easy to get pretty much everywhere by bus, leisuire club next door for some gym/swim, service was friendly the whole time we were there. Breakfast spreads are pretty insane - toast, cereal, fruit, fry-ups

Miss: Rooms were less elegant than the decor of the lobby/bar/restaurant - but still clean, cosy & nice enough. Food in the restaurant was priced like a top-end London restayrant, but has to be said the food was distinctly average. So treat this as a hotel, wouldn't recommend the dinner! Try Hooked in Windermere!

Room Tip: We had room 504, up at the back of the hotel - very cosy & quiet but one small window!
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
MichelleCroukamp, Operations Manager at Low Wood Bay Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2012

Dear Guest, thank you for your recent review. You may be interested to know that all Trip-advisor reviews are conveyed to the team and our directors. We hope to see you again in the future. Kind Regards, Michelle Croukamp, Operations Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,811)

Reviewed 16 July 2012

Before we came we had a phone call checking that we knew it was the Great North Swim – and we did because we were competing. I felt that they were making sure we knew it would be busy so pre visit customer care very good.

I therrefore realised that it would be busy but I was very concerned that there were no quiet areas for my disabled parents to sit when we arrived. I had requested that their room be made a priority to be ready a little early, and before we arrived and the staff had said that that should be possible.

When I mentioned it on arrival I received a curt that that would not be possible. Additionally the receptionist told my mother that their room did not have a lake view although I had requested one. She said that they could upgrade but for an extra £50. Later when they eventually got into the room there was a clear lake view albeit from the side.

My parents spent 3 hours in a cold, because the doors were all open, lounge area and were very uncomfortable. No one explained that the quiet lounge would not be available – neither was the dining area.

The spa excerience was lovely and the setting of the hotel very picturesque.

The evening meal was a positive experience but the breakfast was not. We came down at about 9 and the cooked breakfast was piled high. The food was inedible – hard fried eggs, cold bacon and overcooked sausages that had dried out.

The weekend was very expensive – especially my parents’ room – and what we experienced was a hotel with no facilities in the afternoon for the hotel guests, a curt and quite rude receptionist, misinformation re the room’s facilities, and a breakfast – one of the worst I have ever experienced on a hotel. Like another reviewer - I have feed this back to the hotel but have had no response or even an acknowledgement.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Pam W

Dear Guest

Please accept my most sincere apologies that your have not received a reply to your review. I would firstly like to express my most sincere apologies that you felt your recent stay whilst taking part in the Great North Swim was not to the standard you expected. We did have the request for the early check in for your parents but unfortunaly as the hotel plays host to the event and its organisers we could not guarantee this, we do not guarantee our rooms until 3pm as per the company policy which is always included in the confirmation letter, although when possible we try to check guest in early, due to the large number of rooms departing that day this request was not able to be met.

With regard to the lake view we have a clear policy that unless the room has a forward facing view of the lake we are unable to sell this as a lake view, with the aim of not misleading our guest. Room 44 (your parents room) does as you say have a lake view from the side window, this should have perhaps been explained to you on arrival as apposed to you being given the option of a upgrade at an additional charge – I will ensure that the receptionist that checked you in is aware of the point you made.

The event as I am sure you are aware brings up to 15,000 people each day to the resort through either the swimmers themselves or the supporters they bring with them, the hotel although large and spacious is pushed to its maximum capacity on the weekend of the Great North Swim, we do try where possible to cater for all our guest needs that weekend whether it be hotel guest, non residential swimmers or the 1000’s of people who wish to watch the event, therefore we are unable to keep areas reserved or available within the hotel. I am sorry that you were unable to find somewhere comfortable to sit in the main area of the hotel.

Throughout the year the Windermere Restaurant is only open for residents at Breakfast and for A La Carte Dinner service of an evening and does not open to the public in the day for lunch or snacks unless pre booked, therefore it would not have been open if the swim were not taking place. We do normally run a lounge menu between 10.00am – 8.00pm each day excluding Christmas day and the Great North Swim weekend, the reason for not serving food on the swim weekend from our lounge menu is because we would be unable to cater for the numbers to our normal high standards so we choose to offer all food at the event site on the hotels lawns, I apologise this was not explained to you. Café del Lago our other restaurant (attached to the leisure club) was however open and serving hot food throughout the day.

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your evening meal in the Windermere Restaurant, I was however sorry to read that you did not enjoy your breakfast. Our team at the hotel are very proactive in dealing with the very few complaints we receive and I am sure that if these issues would have been bought to our attention during your stay or on departure we would have been able to rectify them where possible or at least do our best to help make you and your parents feel comfortable and taken care of, or as requested offered some form of compensation prior to departure. I can assure you I will pass on all of your comments to the team.

I would once again like to convey my most sincere apologies for the shortfalls in hotel services that you deserve, the swim is an extremely busy weekend for us, however I do appreciate that greater communication could have helped alleviate some of your concerns, we will learn from this.

Kindest Regards

Michelle Croukamp
Operations Manager - Low Wood Bay Resort Hotel and Marina

Reviewed 13 July 2012 via mobile

Me and my fiancé stayed here for 2 nights for his 30th birthday. The hotel is perfectly situated and getting around was easy by either car or bus (the bus stop is right in front of the hotel). The room was very clean and spacious with amazing views of lake windermere, breathtaking!!! We ate in the restaurant the first evening and the service and food was perfect. Breakfast was nice and plenty of choice. Staff we polite and friendly- the young man on reception was particularly helpful and provided us with info and bus times etc. unfortunatley we didnt use the pool or spa facilities but we were staying in this part of the hotel and the pool area was lovely and clean and staff always available on the desk. Highly recommended we had a fab time and we would definatly stay here again!

• Stayed: July 2012

Dear Guest, thank you so much for your rewarding review – I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay and in particular the room as well as breakfast and dinner in the Windermere Restaurant, I will ensure your comments regarding our team are passed on to them. I hope that your Fiancé had an enjoyable 30th Birthday. Once again thank you for your review. We hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future for another enjoyable break. Michelle Croukamp, Operations Manager

Reviewed 11 July 2012

excellent service, food and location staff were very friendly and helpful. the hotel is clean and well presented with a great atmosphere. and the spa/health club while being a bit small is packed with features. we will be returning

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
MichelleCroukamp, Operations Manager at Low Wood Bay Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 26 July 2012

Dear Guest, thank you so much for the fantastic review - I was delighted to read that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay. You may be interested to know that all Trip-advisor reviews are conveyed to the team and our directors. I do hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Low Wood Bay in the near future. Kind Regards, Michelle Croukamp, Operations Manager

Reviewed 10 July 2012

Attended a wedding this weekend, booked into the hotel as it made sense. Good rate and the room was clean and tidy with all mod cons, what was good was the ample tea coffee and milk facilities.

The wedding dinner was surprisingly good, first class soup, nice chicken main and outstanding sticky toffee put to finish.

Now the poor bit! The evening function room had a very small bar, the soft drinks were large bottled , most of which were flat and spoilt and drink when used as a mixer, my elder sisters all expert drinkers felt the spirits were watered down, I checked myself and yes the alcohol content was not an acceptable standard to such a degree I feel a trading standards referral is due. A glass of wine is extortionately expensive at over £6. greedy greedy greedy as the family was not paying enough for the trouble.

Finally myself and many of those staying at the hotel but part of the wedding party were refused service at the hotel bar! As far as I am concerned I may be part of the wedding party, but I have also paid for the facility of using the hotels full priveledges. 48 hrs later my request for contact from the hotels general manager has resulted in no call to explain this nonsense. Before the management rebutt this by blaming some bar person, not correct this was a managers decision, apparently hotel policy as wedding parties can be noisy, we as a police officer all I saw was polite family members enjoying them selves. I wait in anticipation from a call that I feel will not come.

Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank andymc1136r
MichelleCroukamp, Operation Manager at Low Wood Bay Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2012

Dear Wedding guest, I would first of all like to take this opportunity to thank you for the wonderful comments regarding the room you stayed in and for your comments regarding the wedding reception meal, we are very proud of the food and service we provide in the hotel.

I was however confused to read that you and other members of the party felt that the spirits were watered down, this is in fact an illegal practice that we would certainly not engage in, and with such an accusation I would willing invite trading standards and authorities regulated under the Licensing Act to visit the hotel, whereby they will confirm this is not the case.

Our bar prices are considered by most guests as reasonable with a regular 125ml glass of wine priced from £3.00 and a large 250ml glass of wine priced from £5.75. I would also like to comment that we do not refuse to serve wedding guest in the main hotel bar however we prefer the wedding guest to gather in the areas that have been requested by the Bride and Groom as they would obviously wish for there party to remain together to enjoy the celebrations which of an evening are always held in the function suite not in the main hotel, during the day we will happily serve guests in the main hotel bar.

Regarding your request for contact form the General Manager, neither myself or Nevil Jeffery, General Manager are aware that you have requested to be contacted regarding this, the first time we have been made aware of your concerns are via this review on trip advisor, we would however welcome the opportunity of discussing your review with you in detail, please feel free to contact us as we do not have your personal details as we can not obtain from Trip Advisor your full name. Kind regards Michelle Croukamp, Operations Manager

Reviewed 10 July 2012

arrived on friday 29th june, large carpark to rear of hotel. reception was excelent very friendly and helpful. room was on first floor looking onto the lake, loved the view and the room. restaurant was large with very friendly staff. leisure faclities were great, small sauna and steam room with indoor and outdoor hot tubs. staff could not do enough for us and had a great weekend will be back.

Room Tip: rooms on first floor over looking the lake have a busy road just outside, but was not a problem at n...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest, thank you for your excellent review and congratulations once again on your recent wedding anniversary. You may be interested to know that all Trip-advisor reviews are conveyed to the team and our directors. Thank you for sharing your comments with all trip advisor users. We look forward to seeing you again in the future. Kind Regards, Michelle Croukamp, Operations Manager

Reviewed 9 July 2012

My husband and I stayed in this hotel with our two children (aged 4 and 7) and it was a lovely hotel with a spectacular view over the lake. Our room which was on the first floor directly above the reception and office was very large with plenty of room for us to move about with the children's beds in their own area with their own tv. The children's packs left on the bed was a nice touch.

The only down side of our stay was the late night noise from the night staff in the office below our room, we could hear loud conversation on the telephone with the receivers dropped down, and doors opening and shutting the whole night. If we had stayed away from this it would have been a perfect stay.

The spa and pool area were great for us and the kids.

• Stayed: May 2012

Dear Guest, thank you for your recent review. You may be interested to know that all Trip-advisor reviews are conveyed to the team and our directors. Thank you for sharing your comments with all trip advisor users. We look forward to seeing you again in the future. Kind Regards, Michelle Croukamp, Operations Manager