“Great food and great service” 4 of 5 bubbles

Low Wood Bay
Ranked #12 of 20 Hotels in Windermere
GreenLeadersGold level
Leicester
“Great food and great service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2012

We stayed for one night (midweek) but have stayed several times before, including one Christmas break a couple of years back. As a family destination, this is an excellent hotel. It provides really great food, has comfy lounge and communal areas for us to relax, play games and so on. We have always found the staff to be friendly, professional and helpful. This time we had a lake view room which was large, clean and by far the best we have had. The view over the lake is magnificent.

The only faults that the hotel has, and I can see reflected in some of the other reviews is that some of the corridors are starting to look like they need some TLC. One or two of the rooms we have had have been a bit small but that tends to be reflected in the pricing.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
MichelleCroukamp, Operations Manager at Low Wood Bay, responded to this review, 31 July 2012
Dear Regular guest, many thanks for taking the time to post your recent review about your recent stay with us. I am pleased that, overall, you enjoyed your stay with us, especially in terms of the amazing views and friendliness and helpfulness of our team.

As you will note form the various rooms you have previously stayed in and through previous trip advisor reviews and responses we are undergoing a refurbishment programme through out our rooms, the aim is to upgrade the few rooms that we believe are in need of upgrading, It is pleasing to read that you feel this is reflected in the price of the rooms, this is certainly our intention.

Once again, many thanks for the review and I hope to see you again soon. When you next decide to visit Low Wood Bay please do not hesitate to contact me personally and I will try to ensure you have another enjoyable stay. Kind regards Michelle Croukamp, Operations Manager.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (492)
  • Thai first
Leeds, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2012

This was our fourth visit and although we enjoyed our stay, we were disappointed with certain aspects. There was some confusion on arrival with the rooms we had booked but a very helpful receptionist ensured that this was sorted out. However, we did feel that for a four star hotel the rooms were beginning to look rather tired and certain areas like the ladies' toilets downstairs and the restaurant were looking decidedly shabby.

We had dinner in the restaurant for the two nights of our stay and although I enjoyed both my meals, my husband and our two friends were disappointed with their steaks and felt they didn't represent value for money. Added to this, there was a wedding in the hotel on Saturday which we felt resulted in a shortage of staff in the restaurant: we had a very long wait between courses. More staff should be taken on at busy times and guests should not be bearing the brunt of staff being overstretched.

We took advantage of the watersports centre across the road from the hotel and enjoyed our time on the lake at a discounted price because we were hotel guests. However, we were disappointed in the hotel swimming pool as it is quite small and a large group were playing ball games. A very small area was roped off for swimmers but the ball kept going into the area and players kept intruding to retrieve the ball, bumping into swimmers. A swimming pool should be just that.

On the positive side, the staff are very friendly and do their best.

Room Tip: The rooms at the back tend to be larger than those at the front, in the main part of the hotel, unle...
1 Thank Violet006
Dear Regular guest, I would first of all like to take this opportunity to sincerely apologise for not meeting with your expectations on this occasion. I would also like to thank you for taking the time to bring these issues to our attention. Guest feedback is very important to us and your points will be discussed and actioned by myself and the team.

I was saddened to read that you felt the wedding taking place in the hotel stretched the staffing, I can assure you that each and every area of the hotel is given the same consideration regarding staffing as all of our guest deserve the same levels of service, I am once again sorry that you felt this was not the case. I would like to thank you for the kind comments you made with regards the friendliness of our team, we are very proud of them.

As a valued guest of Low Wood Bay I would very much like the opportunity to restore your faith in the hotel and ensure that this stay does not overshadow all the other stays you have previously enjoyed, therefore I welcome the opportunity to discuss this with you, where I will be only to happy to ensure your next stay is enjoyable and that you receive the level of service that you deserve, please do not hesitate to contact me personally.

Thank you once again for your review, and I do hope you will give us the chance to welcome you back to Low Wood Bay in the near future, Kind regards Michelle Croukamp, Operations Manager
Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2012

We had a three night break courtesy of a kgb deal. I happened to mention when booking that we were celebrating my partner's birthday and was amazed to find a balloon and chocolates on the bed when we arrived - an absolutely lovely touch. The room was in the house part of the hotel with views of the hills to the side and no sound at all of the traffic to the front.
We were warmly welcomed and had our luggage carried to our room; we asked at reception for change so we could give a tip but were told this was not necessary.
In addition to the usual tea/coffee making facilities in the room was a cafetiere and ground coffee, Earl Grey tea, hot chocolate and biscuits and a tub of mints!
Breakfast was an excellent spread and nothing was too much trouble. We didn't have dinner at the hotel as we were on a budget but the menu looked very good.
The spa is also a wonderful included facility and we made full use of the hot tub outside!

3 Thank grandma1111
MichelleCroukamp, Operations Manager at Low Wood Bay, responded to this review, 26 July 2012
Dear guest, thank you for your recent wonderful review – I was delighted to read that you enjoyed the benefits of the recent KGB offer and I would like to thank you for your comments, I was pleased to read that you liked the balloon and chocolates that we put in your room to help celebrate your partners birthday. I was also very pleased to read that you enjoyed the room, the views and the tea / coffee making facilities as well as the breakfast in the Windermere Restaurant. I will ensure your comments are passed onto the team. I very much hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future for another enjoyable break. Kind Regards, Michelle Croukamp, Operations Manager
Chester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2012

The Low Wood Bay Hotel in Windemere is a really great location, its a little out of the towns and provides a wonderful view of the lake itself, especially if have a lake facing room like we did ourselves. We visited for a birthday celebration and upon arrival found that the room of which we had been given was not really up to scratch, especially with it being a "feature room", we found it a little dirty and just not as nice as was suggested on the website, however upon speaking to the front desk and a very helpful young lady who could not do enough for us we were then transferred to a forward lake facing room which was fantastic, it had a lovely bathroom and and lovely comfortable bed, the only downside to it was that when the window was open the road outside made it a little noisy, haowever at night this quitened down significantly. The breakfast and the evening meal were excellent and the service in the restaurant was excellent too. Overall me and my partner were very impressed with this hotel and would recommend it to other couples who would like a romantic getaway.

Room Tip: Rooms on the front side are noisier but the views are stunning so sometiumes a compromise has to be...
1 Thank gazzadanazza
Dear guest, thank you for your recent review – I was delighted to read that you enjoyed the benefits of the recent KGB offer and I would like to thank you for your comments, especially regarding the manner in which your room move was handled. I hope that you enjoyed the birthday celebrations. Thank you for your comments regarding breakfast and dinner in the Windermere restaurant I will ensure your comments are passed onto the team. I very much hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future for another enjoyable romantic break. Kind Regards, Michelle Croukamp, Operations Manager
Preston, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2012

Me and my girlfriend stayed here on New Years Day and it was wonderful. We stayed in a room overlooking the lake with the most amazing water bed ever!!!!! The restaurant was exceptional offering a wide range of food catering for all tastes...my girlfriend had venison for the first time and said it was delicious.

We went for a swim whilst we were staying in the hotel, which was relaxing once the kids had disappeared, and was pleasantly surprised when we stumbled across the outdoor hot tub. As it was January and about 2oc you had the contrast of the breeze on your shoulders and the warmth in the hot tub - highly recommended!

At night we had cocktails in the lounge and there is a variety of games to play, ie classics like connect 4, chess, scrabble. This was fun and obviously i lost to the girlfriend haa.

Highly recommended, would definately suggest asking for the waterbed.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
MichelleCroukamp, Operations Manager at Low Wood Bay, responded to this review, 25 July 2012
Dear New Years Guest, thank you for your excellent review regarding your stay at the hotel on New Years day. I am pleased that you enjoyed your lake view room and the comfortable waterbed. It was also pleasing to read that not only did you enjoy your dinner in the Windermere Restaurant your girlfriend was able to try Venison for the first time and find it to be delicious.

It was also great to read that you enjoyed the outdoor hot tub (even in 2oc temperatures), cocktails in the Langdale bar and that although you lost you still had fun with the games on offer in the bar. Once again thank you for your review. We hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future or for another for another enjoyable New Year break. Michelle Croukamp, Operations Manager
Bradford, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2012

We held our wedding at Low Wood Bay they gave us the best day we could have hoped for.

My husband was happy as he got to fire Low Wood Bay’s very own cannon.

The location of the hotel is great – it’s a short drive or bus ride to Windermere and Ambleside. The views from the hotel are amazing, there is a road between the hotel and the lake but this does not distract from the view. It would be helpful if there was a crossing there.

The service we received from start to finish was exceptional – a big thanks Gemma and Rea for all their help throughout the planning of the wedding and on the day. We stayed there a couple of times before the wedding and obviously the weekend of the wedding and on all of these occasions every member of staff were excellent – nothing was too much trouble. What sets this hotel apart from others is the little touches – we stayed on for a couple of days after the wedding and ordered breakfast in bed, they had put our cake toppers on the tray which was a lovely touch.

The food was excellent - we loved the Windermere restaurant for both dinner and breakfast. The bar for lunch was also good but please can you bring back the burger on the lunch menu!!! Our guests also commented on the quality of the food.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone – it’s probably the best we have stayed in in this country. We will certainly be back soon.

Room Tip: I would pay the extra and get a lake view - it's worth it for the spectacular view
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Katy M
Dear Newlyweds, thank you for your review and the fantastic comments about the hotel and the team. It was a pleasure to host your wedding and welcome your family and friends to enjoy with you your special day. I am glad your husband enjoyed firing the Low Wood Bay’s canon over Lake Windermere.

I will pass on your comments to Gemma and Rea our wedding coordinator’s and to the team, we do pride ourselves on our team and comments such as yours are greatly appreciated. You may also be interested to know that all Trip-advisor reviews are conveyed to our directors. We very much look forward to welcoming you both back to the hotel to enjoy your first wedding anniversary in 2013. Once again congratulations. Kind Regards, Michelle Croukamp, Operations Manager
east yorkshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2012

Last minute desision to stay here booked a couple of days before went, wow had 2 rooms 45 & 47 with water beds never tried before! | slept like a log, the husband didnt, but to be fair he often doesnt in a strange bed well at the best of times, room was spotless, coffee, tea, biscuits, hot choc, large jar of mints. Toiletries in bathroom, really well planned and lovley room.

Stayed for bed, breakfast & evening meal, evening meal was briliant, large selection of tasty starters, mains and desserts, couldnt fault it. Lovley varied breakfast help yourself again excellent.

Staff, this is where the hotel has it right, staff where outstanding, nothing was too much trouble, polite, efficient and went the extra mile,

we ill definately stop here agin, well worth a stay.

Room Tip: 45 did over look the lake views lovley, when window was open there was traffic noise, but when windo...
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Dear Guest, thank you so much for your fantastic review – I was delighted to read that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay at the hotel. I am glad that you slept well on the Waterbed and that you liked the toiletries, we do spend a lot of time when choosing products to place in guest bedrooms and aim to ensure that the guest receives excellent products that they can enjoy and remember. Thank you also for your comments regarding the breakfast and dinner in the Windermere Restaurant, I will ensure your comments are passed on to the team through out the hotel and it is gratifying to read that you felt they went the extra mile for you. Once again thank you for your review. We hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future for another enjoyable break. Michelle Croukamp, Operations Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Windermere
Applegarth Villa and Restaurant
Waterhead Hotel
Waterhead Hotel
#1 of 12 in Ambleside
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,600 reviews

Been to Low Wood Bay? Share your experiences!