“Lovely wedding venue, disabled facilities could be better”

Low Wood Bay Resort & Spa
Ranked #12 of 20 Hotels in Windermere
GreenLeadersGold level
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“Lovely wedding venue, disabled facilities could be better”
Reviewed 17 August 2012

i recently stayed at the lowood hotel, my brother and his new wife had thier wedding there. i found everything about the hotel really lovely, the staff were all very helpful and the hotel was a really good standard. the cost of the stay was a bit pricey for bed and breakfast though, and the way the floors are set out it can be quite a struggle for disabled guests. this would not stop me from going back if i could get a better deal.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
MichelleCroukamp, Operations Manager at Low Wood Bay Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 9 September 2012
Dear Guest, thank you for your recent review. I was pleased to read that your brother and his new wife had a wonderful day. With regards to disabled guest we do have disabled rooms as well as disabled facilities and two lifts which operate throughout the building ensuring all our guest can access each part of the hotel. Should you wish to return to the hotel in the near future you can often find amazing offers on our on website. Thank you for sharing your comments. We hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future. Kind Regards, Michelle Croukamp, Operations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (507)
  • Thai first
Blackpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 August 2012

We got married here earlier this year and i do not have a bad word to say about the place or the amazing team who made our day so perfect. Nothing was too much trouble, they made us and our guests feel so welcome and special. We looked around a few hotels around this area and it was so sad to see so many run down hotels relying on their location to get them business. This is not the case with Low Wood, they have clearly spent time and money making this into a high standard modern yet cosy venue with the added bonus of a beautiful location. The superior rooms are all slightly different and have been done up with beauty and comfort in mind. The food is also very much worth a mention, especially their famous sticky toffee which our friends and family are still raving about! We will certainly be going back time after time.

Room Tip: If you like french shabby chic it has to be room 15!!
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sarah998
MichelleCroukamp, Operations Manager at Low Wood Bay Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 18 August 2012
Dear Guests, thank you for your review and the fantastic comments about the hotel and the team. It was a pleasure to host your wedding and welcome your family and friends to enjoy with you your special day. I will pass on your comments to Gemma and Rea our wedding coordinators and to the team, we do pride ourselves on our team and comments such as yours are greatly appreciated. You may also be interested to know that all Trip-advisor reviews are conveyed to our directors. We very much look forward to welcoming you both back to the hotel to enjoy your first wedding anniversary in 2013. Once again congratulations. Kind Regards, Michelle Croukamp, Operations Manager.
Barnsley
Reviewed 13 August 2012

Now 19, i have been staying at the low wood since i was about 15. Neville has always made sure our stay is an unforgettable one. Any problems we may have encountered (always minor) are dealt with as quickly and effienctly as possible, and the staff go well out of their way to help ensure you are happy with everything! I last stayed on the 10th August 2012, until the 12th. On arrival the staff were extremely friendly and after heading up to the room, i just wanted to stay there forever! The room was decorated to perfection, very clean, and although the intial design of the room remains traditional, there are a few modern touches which just finish everything off. I stayed in room 272 with my younger sister and we were blown away by the view from our window!

The first night we ate in the restaurant, where the head of the restaurant was absolutely outstanding with his manners and his service, constantly making sure we were all happy and always asking if there was anything he could do for us. The food was top quality, the menu has something for everyone on it, and the treacle tart for dessert was to die for!

The second night we ate in Cafe del Lago, the food there is just as delicious! We all had giant pizzas with chips and wedges. The only downside was that food was served till 9, we went in at 8 and then had starter, main and attempted to have desserts at 10 past 9 only to be told that the crepe machine was turned off! surely if last service is at 9 someone who has been there since 8 should be able to have a dessert after 9?

Another downside was the lack of pram acces for the side of the hotel that we stayed in. After our meal in the bistro we tried to gain acces to our rooms which were just at the top of the stairs in the leisure centre. The door we tried to get through was a fire door, but it was locked! We were informed the door got locked at 10pm, but shouldn't fire doors be left open?! Luckily one of the staff had a key and let us through, so the problem got resolved but it was still a little bit shocking to see the fire door locked!

All in all the trip to Low Wood Bay has been amazing as usual, every member of staff there is amazing, and even though we didn't see Neville, thanks again to you for sorting everything out for us!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the front of the hotel, great views!
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Dear guest, many thanks for taking the time to post your review about your recent stay with us. I was delighted to read that you and your sister enjoyed room 272, it was also great to read that your enjoyed your dining experience in the Windermere Restaurant as well as that of Café Del Lagos (I will discuss with them the issue with desserts thank you for brining that to our attention). As you know we are very proud of our team and I will ensure that your comments are passed on to them.

Just a little note about the fire exit, it is only locked on one side to stop people getting in to the club after a certain time, this is not locked entirely and is in good working order in case of an emergency. So Once again, many thanks for the review and I look forward to seeing you again soon for another enjoyable stay. Kind regards Michelle Croukamp, Operations Manager.
Reviewed 11 August 2012

We stayed at the Low Wood Hotel recently , optimistically anticipating a lovely country type hotel on the lake shore. The building exterior is impressive and is set off very well in the marketing photos with the marina and the lake in the foreground .

Please be aware that the hotel was originally an old Coaching Inn on a quaint country road over 100 years ago unfortunately it has now inevitably evolved into the A591.

It is VERY busy with several hundreds of vehicles per hour including Artic lorries , passing right across the front of the hotel . The road isn't very wide and theres no pavement so the traffic roars past within about 5 feet of the building . Seriously we waited several minutes for a safe gap in the flow to allow us to run across to go and have a look at the lake.

There's a little cafe on the front of the hotel , Cafe De Lago with a very small outdoor area . Again unfortunately right on the roadside.

I know this can't be helped , they can't move the hotel , but naturally it's not something that they mentioned in the marketing. Which is why I'm writing this review.

It's nicely presented in the foyer, dining room, lounge and bar but our room could have done with a refurb and was looking a bit tired. We actually didn't eat there after looking at the menu prices and went into Bowness instead.
Overall I was disappointed for the money and we've since identified nicer locations to stay in Windermere.
Sadly we won't be going back.

Room Tip: Probably at the side or the back overlooking the carpark.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank dolphinhappy
Dear Guest, I am sorry that, unlike the vast majority of our guests and online reviewers, you didn't enjoy your stay with us due to the location of the hotel and the road that runs along the front of the hotel. Guest feedback is very important to us and your points will be discussed and reviewed by myself and the team, I will ensure the point you made regarding the road is highlighted to our marketing team.

I read with concern that you said you will not be willing to stay at the hotel again, should you change your mind about this please do not hesitate to contact me. Kind Regards Michelle Croukamp, Operations Manager.
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 August 2012

Just returned from a 2 night stay at this hotel in total there was 5 of us and 4 dogs, if you are travelling with dogs the hotel is well catered and you get a nice blanket and a dog bone which is a nice touch. It is handy that there is a grassed area where you can take dogs across the rd, this is a busy rd tho, but takes you to a small marina and a watersport centre.
Check is was very quick and a nice reception area, rooms were ready at 2pm all our cases were taken to our rooms, I went to the spa on the first night which was ok, the outside spa made it.
We had a meal in the hotel it was lovely, one of the starters I ordered I did not like without any question it was changed, the service was also very good.
The next day went into the small town and hired a boat £35 for an hour really good fun on the lake,the beds are two bed pushed together but they are bigger that two single beds.
This hotel is nice for a nice relaxing holiday, if you want that, but on the doorstep of the watersports,walking, and just a few miles from the town.
Would I go again ALREADY BOOKED

Room Tip: The lake Windermere view rooms are lovely,
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Dear Guest, thank you for your review and the great comments about hotel regarding your recent two night stay. I am glad you bought your dogs along, it sounds like they enjoyed their stay as well, hope they enjoyed their doggy treats. It was also pleasing to read that you enjoyed the hotels leisure facilities and the Windermere Restaurant.

You may be interested to know that all Trip-advisor reviews are conveyed to the team and our directors. Thank you for sharing your comments with all trip advisor users. We look forward to seeing you again in the future Kind Regards, Michelle Croukamp, Operations Manager
Durham
Reviewed 7 August 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed here for one night recently. It was a last minute reservation as the hotel we had wanted to stay in was fully booked. This hotel was recommended to us so we thought we would give it a try!

We upgraded from a standard room to a bigger room - I have to say the room we were give was huge! Which was great, however a king size bed might have been a nicer touch rather than two single beds pushed together. The bathroom was a good size, if not a little dated. We had no view at all from the room (understandbly you pay more for the lake views).

Out majour problem was the Wedding Party that was going on right outside of our room. Every song was pounding which went on till 1am! This may not have been such as issue if we had been told on arrival, as we could have made plans to stay out later. Instead our nice relaxing evening in the hotel was not so relaxing!! We did raise this issue with reception staff at departure, and were refunded some of the price for the room! So cant complain really.

The breakfast was outstanding...couldnt have wanted more! And filled me up for the day ahead...what more can you want!

We also used the hotel facilities, the pool and the outside hot tub which was a nice touch! Again I think the facilities are a little dated, but a really nice luxury added to our stay!

Overall a good hotel in the heart of the lakes with a wicked breakfast!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
MichelleCroukamp, Operations Manager at Low Wood Bay Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 11 August 2012
Dear Guest, thank you so much for your rewarding review – I was delighted to read that you were recommended the hotel and that you enjoyed the room you were allocated as well as the ‘wicked’ breakfast in the Windermere Restaurant and the leisure facilities.

I was disappointed to read that you were kept awake by music from the wedding celebration that was taking place, All wedding evening functions take place in a self contained function facility, I am not aware that we have previously had any issues relating to noise carrying through to the main part of the hotel so I can assure you will look into this in detail.

I hope the unfortunate issue of the noise will not deter you form visiting the hotel again in the future therefore should you wish to discuss a future stay please do not hesitate to contact me where I will ensure you are looked after. Once again thank you for your review and I will ensure your comments are passed on to the team. Kind Regards, Michelle Croukamp, Operations Manager
Hartlebury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 August 2012

I have just come away from low wood bay as me and my wife had our 1st wedding anniversary there, the hotel itself was great and very upmarket as u would expect and staff were very nice to, our room was fantastic, the problem we found was our bedroom was great but the bed was two singles pushed together. boy is my back feeling it now so that was disappointing, my wife is 20 week pregnant and we were 2 storeys up but we didn't mind so much. the main complaint and biggest disappointment was the road, if you see any picture on web site etc, it does NOT show it out the front. It will show you it's brilliant facilities, views and gardens, but no where did they show the main road out the front. it looks like on the pics that the garden is joint directly to the hotel but the marina/garden is across the a very busy main road. and when u sit in the garden you expect to here the water of the lake and the sound of birds on a sunny day , Take Your Ear muffs , the road is busy all day long , if I new this I would NOT have booked this hotel. if they showed the road then it wouldn't have been such a shock and I would have knew what to expect. I live in Worcestershire, I have never been there before, the pictures are deceiving, I understand the need to promote the assets of the hotel, but the leisure and beautiful decor would be good enough without leaving the main road out, the lakeviews are stunning, I wish they would have made us more aware of this noisy road which also after booking a feature lakeview room we were unable to have the windows open as the noise was too much. This was to be a romantic 1st anniversary. I must add though thankfully your reception and bar staff were so courteous and helpful, they helped us to enjoy this stay. Sad to say we won't be returning to the hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest, Many thanks for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us. I would first like to take this opportunity to congratulate you on your recent 1st Anniversary celebrations. I was pleased to read in your review that you liked the hotel, our staff and your room.

I was however sorry to read that you didn’t sleep well, zip and link beds are a common feature in hotels as they provide flexibility for guests and their individual needs, however when these beds are required to be made into a king size bed we place a mattress topper on the bed to ensure that the guest does not feel any difference, it does appear that on this occasion that we may have failed to do this, thank you for bringing it to our attention.

With regards to the road running between the hotel and the marina lawns I do appreciate this may be frustrating, we do have lawns that have a lake view on the hotel side of the road which all guest are welcome to enjoy, I will ensure your comments are discussed with our marketing team and given great consideration.

Once again thank you for your constructive review and I hope one day you may visit us again. Kind Regards, Michelle Croukamp Operations Manager.