“The best Hotel on the Lakes”

Low Wood Bay Resort & Spa
Ranked #12 of 20 Hotels in Windermere
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 2 September 2012

We had visited this Hotel before so we knew the standard to expect? And they hadn't dropped they had exceeded them. The Hotel itself is located opposite Lake Widermere with superb views over the lake. The rooms were spotless we'll kept and clean. Nice BIG cup and saucer for tea or coffee in your room along with a healthy choice of tea.The Hotel staff are very friendly welcoming and very at tentative to your needs nothing is a problem if you have a problem it is dealt with straight away! The food is superb and very special. Cooked to perfection this was not just my thoughts but over hearing other tables nearby complimenting how excellently cooked the food was.
I will be staying at the Hotel again in the near future and will recommend it to all my friends

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
MichelleCroukamp, Operations Manager at Low Wood Bay Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 9 September 2012

Dear regular guest, once again thank you so much for your wonderful review – It is always good to receive feedback from our guest but even better when it is returning guests who continue to enjoy the hotel stay after stay. I was pleased to read about your stay especially regarding the food in our Windermere Restaurant. Again thank you for your review and I very much look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future for another enjoyable break, why not bring your friends next time. Kind Regards, Michelle Croukamp, Operations Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,841)

Reviewed 1 September 2012

This hotel deserves a good write up and believe me I would tell you if it were off the mark. 10/10 for location. The room was lovely and spacious, even with a child's bed. Our room was at the rear of the hotel but we still got a lake view! Abundant parking at the rear, beautiful grounds and public areas plus free internet. We got a special rate however this did not alter the level of service received. All staff - room service, maids, reception, beauticians and sports club staff were friendly, helpful and seemed to enjoy working there. We used the spa facilities often during the 3 days and were impressed. It's years since we stayed here (over 10years ago as a childless couple) but we definitely won't leave it so long next time. Take the water taxi to Ambleside, a lovely quick ride there and more leisurely 30 minutes back, making 2 stops. We ate in the sports cafe at the hotel and had the tastiest meal ever! The lady serving us was genuinely grateful for the feedback as they were trying a new menu - grilled chicken in crepes with green leaves, parmesan and sun dried toms....try it, you won't be disappointed!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank teecee_2009

Dear guest, many thanks for taking the time to post your wonderful review about your recent stay with us. It sounds like you had a wonderful stay and used the time here to enjoy all of the hotels facilities, It was also pleasing to read that you made use of and enjoyed the hotels free waterbus facilities going to Ambleside, I hope the weather was good, I am glad that you did provide feedback whilst having your meal in the Bistro as without our guest feedback we would not be able to ensure we provided the best product and service available, I know the team appreciated it. Once again, many thanks for the review and I look forward to seeing you again soon for another enjoyable stay. Kind regards Michelle Croukamp, Operations Manager.

Reviewed 30 August 2012 via mobile

Beautiful location!! Excellent service by the staffs !! I must say the Water sports club ,which is associated is plus point to the hotel !! The hotel spa facilities was very welcoming and relaxing,after long day at lakes ,it was so pleasant to soak yourself in Hot tub with your partner,before the nightout believe me is very refreshing!! However even though we enjoyed our 2 nights stay at low wood bay !! We have few have disapointments we booked for double but we stuck with was 2 twin bed stick together and the head board were keep falling wasn't properly attached!! If you're a couple your privacy is in question !! Because the people passing through curidor can hear you clearly,as well your next door neigbor!! The supply for tea/coffee were various choice and then again we found the cup wasnt properly washed!!! The breakfast buffet was good then again not very well organised things were eveywhere !!the tables&chair not positioned properly so annoying ,that I have move my chair back n forth about 100 times, when someone passes through. !! Such night building,lots of characters!! Full of potential !! Need tidying up !! My overall rate 3/5.

• Stayed: August 2012

• Dear Guest, thank you for the review posted on Trip Advisor. I was pleased to read that you enjoyed the location, service by our team, the Watersports and leisure centers. I was however disappointed to read that you would only rate us 3/5. Unfortunaly twin beds pushed together (zip and link beds) are a common feature in larger hotels as it give the guest flexibility in terms of booking requirements, however in order to combat the feeling of these being two beds pushed together we should always put a ‘mattress topper’ over the bed, it may be that on this occasion we failed to do this and for that I apologise.

The other points made in your review will be discussed with the team in detail and action taken where necessary. We are as a team very proactive in dealing with the few complaints that we receive, therefore should you wish to visit us again in the future I would be only too happy to deal with your booking personally and allocate to you the best room available in the main part of the hotel. Kind Regards Michelle Croukamp, Operations Manager.

Reviewed 29 August 2012

LOCATION
When we arrived at Low Wood we were pleased to see that the hotel was situated right opposite Lake Windermere which looked amazing. There was a large car park and we were then greeted by a very friendly receptionist to check us in. There is a road between the hotel and the lake which at times could take some time to cross but nevertheless the location is great with a lawn area oppposite the hotel overlooking the lake.
ROOM
Our room at first glance was lovely, the bathroom was very clean and the bed was huge (two put together). We had plenty of tea/coffee/hot chocolate that was replenished daily and there was also a huge tub of mints which was a nice touch. The only downside to our room/stay was it needed a good dust!
FOOD
We went to the cafe next door for one meal and the hotel restaurant for a treat...the food was amazing! And the portion sizes were very good. On the third night we chose to go into Windermere where we also had a lovely meal.
SPA
We used the gym (not too small like some are) and the pool and loved the outdoor hot tub!
This was a kgb deal and our first time to the Lake District...we'll definitely be going back sometime!

1  Thank Debbie2003

Dear guest, thank you for your recent wonderful review – I was delighted to read that you enjoyed the benefits of the recent KGB offer and I would like to thank you for your comments, I was pleased to read that enjoyed the room, the views and the food in both Café Del Lagos and the Windermere Restauarnt. I will ensure your comments are passed onto the team. I very much hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future for another enjoyable break. Kind Regards, Michelle Croukamp, Operations Manager

Reviewed 27 August 2012

My partner and I spend 2 nights at the hotel and greatly enjoyed it. We had been down south visiting family and chose to make a pit stop in the lake district as neither of us had visited the area since we were much younger. There were no issues with booking, all went smoothly and our room was lovely. Enough size for the two of us and a good enough tv to catch up on the Olympics! There was a wedding reception on during our first night, but there were no issues with noise at all! Overall a lovely hotel and the leisure facilities are great too!

Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Becky C

Dear Guest, thank you for your recent wonderful review. I am pleased that you chose Low Wood as the place to do your “pit stop” I hope you enjoyed the Lake District as much as you remembered from previous years. It was pleasing to read that you also took the opportunity to enjoy some of the very successful summer Olympics whilst at the hotel. Thank you for sharing your comments. Kind Regards, Michelle Croukamp, Operations Manager

Reviewed 27 August 2012

We have stayed at one of the other hotels in the English Lakes group (The Waterhead at Ambleside) and loved it. We tried to book there again but there was no availability for the weekend. We were confident we could book there without disappointment as we thought the service would be consistent across the two.
The room we were initially allocated seemed rather dated and the paint work needed touching up but the real problem was the connecting door with the next room. It offered no sound insulation and we could clearly hear the conversation between the party in the next room, as well as their dog crying. We immediately felt we had to speak in whispers. We asked to be moved and the only other room was the accessible room for disabled customers. We took it, even though it was six feet from the main road betweem Ambleside and Windemere because we felt at least we'd have some privacy, if not peace and quiet. We slept terribly the first night but bought earplugs the next day and slept a little better the next night.
We had dinner in the hotel on the second night and it was excellent. Great service, even though the were busy and the food was good and generously portioned.
The fitness centre had good cardio machines and was excellent really. The pool and jacuzzi looked good but I didn't use them. If your staying in the hotel and just want a workout without the pool area, avoid the changing rooms at the health centre altogether. They are just ridiculously small. It put me off using the pool facilities.
On balance, we wouldn't stay there again, not because it was terrible but because we know there is far better, room-wise, at the Waterhead and if they were unavailable, we'd reschedule our weekend.

Room Tip: I wish we could have worked out how to do this
1  Thank Sl0BHAN

Dear Guest, I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for the comments made on your recent review. With reference to the décor and quality of the rooms we do have an ongoing refurbishment schedule in place which aims to upgrade the few rooms that we believe are in need of upgrading. I would like to extend my sincere apologise to you that we were not on this occasion able to meet your expectations. Guest feedback is very important to us and your points will be discussed and actioned by myself and the team.

I would also like to thank you for your lovely comments regarding dinner in the Windermere Restaurant. Should you wish to stay at the hotel in the future please do not hesitate to contact me in person whereby I will be only too happy ensure you are given the best room type available and in one of our newly upgraded rooms, Kind Regards Michelle Croukamp, Operations Manager

Reviewed 24 August 2012

I stoped here for a week the hotel food was very good and plenty to eat. The room was standard the bed was soft and the tv had most channels to what you would expect to have. The shower was very good and plenty of pressure and was hot all the time. The tea and coffee was in the room and kept topped up each day and maid did her job and the room was kept clean and she tidy up each day good service. The fitness jim was OK i used it each day and the pool was just the right for the amount of people there and the saurner and steam room was OK and the indoor and outdoor Hot tubs were great. The WI-FI was free in the hotel and when got on worked fine but the coverage in the hotel was patchy and did not work in my room but in the receiption and corridors and part of the resturant it worked ok. The area was great plenty to do for free and things to do which cost a lot but this is the lak distric.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family

Dear guest, many thanks for taking the time to post your review about your recent week long stay with us. I am pleased that you were able to enjoy the food, the leisure facilities and the room for the week your were here. Should you wish to visit us again for another break please do not hesitate to contact me direct about our special offers. As per the previous TA review I will ensure your points regarding the WiFi are passed onto our IT team who I know are already looking at improving the service we provide. Once again, many thanks for the review and I look forward to seeing you again soon for another enjoyable stay. Kind regards Michelle Croukamp, Operations Manager.