“Friendly staff.. Relaxing stay”

Low Wood Bay Resort & Spa
Ranked #12 of 20 Hotels in Windermere
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 1 August 2013

Our second stay at low wood and didn't disappoint. Excellent location.. V friendly staff who are always willing to help. The food is excellent and v good value for money! We had a lake view which made our trip. Excellent stay and will definitely return in the future.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
MichelleCroukamp, Operations Manager at Low Wood Bay Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 23 August 2013

Dear Guest, thank you for your review and the lovely comments about hotel I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay. You may be interested to know that all Trip-advisor reviews are conveyed to the team and our directors. I do hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Low Wood Bay in the near future. Kind Regards, Michelle Croukamp, Operations Manager

Reviewed 1 August 2013

From the moment we arrived the staff made our special trip memorable. All of the staff were extremely friendly and went out of their way to ensure we were made to feel welcome, the generosity shown by the hotel was stunning.

The decor was lovely, especially in the dining room which was stylish and modern. We had dinner which was superb - my fillet steak was perfectly cooked and came with amazing chips in a wire basket. We thoroughly enjoyed all the food and had absolutely no complaints at all. The service was efficient with plenty of helpful and smiley staff.

In the feature rooms it may feature a waterbed. Although I liked it my wife wasn't so keen so I expect you will either love or hate it. But the view was stunning - we sat in the window and watched the sun set over Windermere.

In summary it's a wonderful hotel and the staff were the best I've ever seen in my 40+ years of visiting hotels. The location alone makes it stunning but the whole experience isn't to be forgotten. I whole-heartedly recommend the hotel.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
MichelleCroukamp, Operations Manager at Low Wood Bay Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 3 August 2013

Dear guest, many thanks for taking the time to post your wonderful review about your recent stay at Low Wood Bay. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed all aspects of your stay especially the fillet steak in the Windermere restaurant. I am also pleased that you did like the waterbed, I am sorry however that your wife didn’t!

Thank you once again for the wonderful comments regarding our team, to know that they are the best you have encountered in +40 is wonderful to read. I will ensure your comments are passed onto the team of whom we are very proud. Once again thanks for the wonderful review and we hope to be able to welcome you to the hotel again in the future, Kind regards Michelle Croukamp, Operations Manager.

Reviewed 30 July 2013

Well we were at Low wood a year ago for our honeymoon and vowed to return and bring the family - well here we are exactly a year later and we returned and brought our 2 children for our 1 year anniversary.
Firstly.. The staff were fantastic with my children. They gave my 3 year old a Sams club goodie bag and left my 3 month old a nappy gift bag in her travel cot! Everyone was so kind and accommodating. She left her teddy in the room on check out and the hotel rang me to say they would post it as they know how important it is to a little girl!
The room: A family room - there was a downstairs section for my eldest and a generous sized mezzanine for us and the baby. Everything was clean and tidy and well stocked. All i would say (minor criticism) is that the roof had velux windows and the blinds were rubbish... With summer light starting early and finishing late at night getting the kids to sleep well was next to impossible! I would have thought in a family room that black out blnds are a must?!
Food/Drink - The breakfasts as always were 5 * and my little girl was amazed at the selection. The staff were wonderful! We ate lunch in the bistro attached to the pool - the staff were fantastic again and the food was ok - a little expensive perhaps but was enjoyed on the whole.
We are already talking about making it a yearly event.... This hotel will forever hold a special place in my heart i hope....

Room Tip: Room 305 - Family room with Mezzanine
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family

Dear Guest, thank you so much for the fantastic review - I was delighted to read that you and your family enjoyed your anniversary stay and that you felt the hotel was child friendly, I hope the children had chance to make the most of the Sams club activities and became members, i am also pleased we were able to return the teddy.

It was also great to read that you thoroughly enjoyed the room as well as the food in our restaurants. You may be interested to know that all Trip-advisor reviews are conveyed to the team and our directors. I look forward to welcoming you and your family back to Low Wood Bay in the near future. Kind Regards, Michelle Croukamp, Operations Manager

Reviewed 30 July 2013

Had a two night stay over the weekend . Lovely hotel , very good staff . Plenty to see and do in the area . Hit s cheaper price online than direct booking at the hotel . Breakfast was very good , good range off food

• Stayed: July 2013

Dear Guest, thank you for your review and the lovely comments about hotel I am pleased that you enjoyed your romantic stay. You may be interested to know that all Trip-advisor reviews are conveyed to the team and our directors. I do hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Low Wood Bay in the near future. Kind Regards, Michelle Croukamp, Operations Manager

Reviewed 29 July 2013

We took advantage of a groupon offer for the spa which was for 3 treatments and a light lunch. The treatments lasted 1hr 30mins and included a full body salt scrub, a facial, a full body massage and seaweed moisturiser. Sandwiches, tea, strawberries and cream were served in the cafe with lovely views of lake Windermere. This was the perfect end to a relaxing weekend break. Very good value, and experienced beauticians

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
MichelleCroukamp, Operations Manager at Low Wood Bay Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2013

Dear guest, thank you for your recent wonderful review regarding the leisure club and the treatments you received, I am glad you were able to take advantage of the Groupon offer and that you enjoyed the lunch that came with it. I will ensure your review is passed on to the Leisure Club Manager and her team. I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you to the club and the hotel in the near future. Kind Regards, Michelle Croukamp, Operations Manager.

Reviewed 27 July 2013

My husband and I booked a two night break at the Low Wood Bay for a Saturday and Sunday 20th - 22 July. We had a lovely stay there apart from a couple of snags. The bed was comfortable but the room clearly needs some TLC lavished on it. The en-suite brought back memories of when we stayed in caravans in the 80's and 90's with there being barely enough room to turn around in. There was a small towel ring for a towel but no where to put anything else unless you put it on the toilet lid. Even with the ceiling light and the light over the mirror it wasn't conducive to putting make-up on. In the room there was a lovely variety of tea and coffee supplied. What a view we had from our window! Our room overlooked the Lake and Marina and although there is a busy road between the hotel and lake we were not bothered by the noise at all. The other snag was the fact that it was only when we went for dinner that we were told that my husband had to wear trousers in the dining room? The reason for the '?' Is because i honestly dont see a problem with people using the dining room in their shorts. It was extremely hot and people were wearing all sorts. Unfortunately my husband only had shorts with him so we were asked if we would eat in the Bar area, which for us was not a problem but I imagine that it can and does cause problems at times. It was only when we looked through the hotel information folder in our room did we see the request for smart dress in the restaurant. But I have to say that it was handled extremely well by the Restaurant staff. In fact the staff were fantastic from when we first arrived until we left and they helped make our break very enjoyable. When were eating in the Bar they were very attentive and made sure that everything was ok for us. The restaurant staff came down several times to make sure that we were fine and being looked after, which we were. The Bar staff were worth their weight in gold. Extremely pleasant and helpful and on the ball with everything. The food was lovely too and my pork dinner was delicious. The breakfast menu was fabulous with absolutely everything you could ask for. There was such a variety of foods for all tastes which was self service, but there was also a menu for cooked to order foods which was available on every table. The only problem I had was with the toasters, there weren't easy to use although there was another toaster available the other end of the table which I didn't find until I had finished. How anyone can complain about the food at Low Wood Bay is beyond me to be honest. Is there something in the air in the Lake District that means that staff up there are the best? We have stayed at several places in the Lake District and the staff have been some of the best we've encountered anywhere. We've stayed in Kendal, Penrith and now Windermere, not once have we had a complaint about the staff. So although I've had a little moan about the en-suite I would definitely stay there again and so would my husband.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you very much for your wonderful review regarding your recent stay at Low Wood Bay and for your comments about the faultless staff. It was great to read that you enjoyed the comfy bed and the wonderful views of Lake Windermere from your room; we have recognised that some of our rooms do need a little TLC and the room in which you stayed is one of them, thank you for your valuable feedback regarding this.

I am pleased that you very much enjoyed the food served from the Windermere restaurant in the Lounge and bar, we are sorry that it was not until you read the guest information folder that the dress policy was highlighted to you. We have taken this on board and placed a sign on reception to highlight this to guests in the warm weather, we do unfortunaly have to be quite strict with the dress policy in the restaurant with it being a formal dining area, thank you for your understanding with this and I am glad it did not affect your stay and that you felt it was handled in a professional manner!

I will ensure your wonderful comments about our staff being the best are passed onto the team in the hotel and leisure club. Once again thanks for the review and we hope to be able to welcome you to the hotel again in the future. Michelle Croukamp, Operations Manager

Reviewed 26 July 2013

My friend and I stayed at The Low Wood for two nights mid wee and we had a lovely time. We visited the spa and had treatments which were very nice and relaxing. We had the evening meal each night which was delicious and the breakfasts were excellent too. All the staff were amazing, friendly helpful and seemed to care very much about each guest, lovely people. The only down side to it was our room. We were in the block at the rear of the hotel on the top/attic floor and due to the wonderful weather we are having (not the hotles fault at all) the room was sweltering. The window was very small and high up so no real view and the breeze didnt blow thru but it was clean and tidy and had everything we needed. I would definately stay again but I would request a different room, preferably in the hotel building itself.

Room Tip: Try to get a room in the main hotel.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest, many thanks for choosing the hotel as somewhere to stay whilst visiting the area for a break with your friend. I was delighted to read that that you enjoyed your stay, especially the relaxing treatments you enjoyed in the leisure club, the food and the service from out team. It is pleasing to read that you will definitely be back to visit us, when you next book out team will be more than happy to discuss the specific rooms types with you to ensure you get the room that you will best enjoy. Once again thanks for the review and we hope to be able to welcome you to the hotel again in the future, Kind regards Michelle Croukamp, Operations Manager.