“Great place,great location”

GreenLeadersGold level
Chorley, United Kingdom
“Great place,great location”
Reviewed 5 August 2013

The Low wood is a fantastic hotel right on the side of Lake Windermere. Looking after their guests is their main focus. Nothing is too much trouble.Rooms are extremely comfortable and after staying here on a number of occasions i can confirm this. The Low wood water sports centre is a great place to try various water sports.

Room Tip: I stayed in room 271 this visit and it has a great lake view. Considering it is at the front of the...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
MichelleCroukamp, Operations Manager at Low Wood Bay Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 23 August 2013
Dear regular guest, thank you so much for your wonderful review, I am pleased that you enjoyed your recent stay. It was great to read that you found the hotel to be fantastic and that you enjoyed the Watersports facilities. It was also very encouraging that you recognize that looking after guests is our main focus. We are very proud of our team and I will ensure your comments are passed on to them.

Again thank you for your review and I very much look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future for another enjoyable break. Kind Regards, Michelle Croukamp, Operations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (504)
  • Thai first
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 August 2013

This hotel is in dire need of redecorating. The public areas are really nice (bar,lobby & restaurant), but our room was crying out for a new carpet and a coat of paint. The room was large, but considering we paid £124 for a night, I'd expect the rooms to be a lot nicer.

The hotel is situated right on the lake, but there isn't really anything else within short walking distance. We wanted to go for a few drinks in a local pub or two, but there isn't anything close. We had to drive into Bowness which has a lot of bars/pubs/restaurants etc.

We are sorry we didn't stay in Bowness now.

Also, this hotel is like a black hole. No mobile phone signal or 3G anywhere close (free wifi in the lobby though)

Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank andyw785
Dear Guest, thank you so much for taking the time to write a review following your recent stay with us at Low Wood Bay, I am delighted that you like the hotel public areas, as you may have noted from other reviews and responses we are undergoing a refurbishment programme through out our rooms, the aim is to upgrade the few rooms that we believe are in need of upgrading.

Unfortunately due to the stunning mountains and hills that the surround the hotel we do struggle with network coverage (Vodafone seems to be ok) which also limits the 3G access although I believe this is being looked at in the area but is not under our control. I hope your recent experience at Low Wood Bay will not deter you from visiting the hotel I the near future. Once again that you for your review, Kind regards, Michelle Croukamp, Operations Manager
Bracknell, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 August 2013

Paying extra for the lakeside rooms was well worth it even though you are right next to the road. Very comfortable and clean rooms. We used the restaurant which was a little disappointing but it did not spoil our stay. The lake bus stops at the hotel pier and if we stay again we may consider hiring a boat from the marina opposite.

• Stayed July 2013
Dear Guest, I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for the comments made on your recent review with particular mention of the wonderful lake views, I am sorry that you did not enjoy your food in the Windermere Restaurant, I would love the opportunity to talk to you regarding this should you wish. On a lighter note I am pleased, that you would come back to the hotel and whilst here use the facilities in the Marina, Kind Regards Michelle Croukamp, Operations Manager
Yorkshire
Reviewed 4 August 2013

I stayed here for my birthday with my Mum and daughter, we had a family room which was very nice. However, the beds were extremely un comfy, we asked for another duvet to be placed on the camp styled bed so the camp bed would be made a little more bearable. That said, unfortunatly it did not work!!! We all left the Low wood with either a crank in our necks our a sore back.
On departure we explained this to one of the many helpful staff who asked if we would like to speak to the duty Manager, we did this to no avail as she was dis-interested and asked why we hadn't appraoched her earlier.

I like the Low wood and may stay there again as the facilities and location are great when you are travelling with children. However, the sister hotel down the road has a better dining area and food.

All in all we enjoyed our stay even though the weather was horrific.

We visited Wordsworths house in Grassmere which is worth a visit.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
Dear Guest, I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for the comments made on your recent review, and for visiting the hotel to celebrate your birthday with your mum and your daughter. However I was disappointed to read that you did not find the beds comfortable and that you and your party left with cranks in your neck or bad backs. I was also upset to read that the Duty Manager was not very sympathetic towards your concerns. I can assure you that all comments or feedback from guest is taken seriously and that we are passionate about rectifying the few complaints that we receive.

It was encouraging to read that you would consider staying at the hotel again in the future, should this be the case please contact myself direct where I will be more than happy to ensure you are personally looked after. Kind Regards Michelle Croukamp, Operations Manager
Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 August 2013

Our second stay at low wood and didn't disappoint. Excellent location.. V friendly staff who are always willing to help. The food is excellent and v good value for money! We had a lake view which made our trip. Excellent stay and will definitely return in the future.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Dear Guest, thank you for your review and the lovely comments about hotel I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay. You may be interested to know that all Trip-advisor reviews are conveyed to the team and our directors. I do hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Low Wood Bay in the near future. Kind Regards, Michelle Croukamp, Operations Manager
UK North West
Reviewed 1 August 2013

From the moment we arrived the staff made our special trip memorable. All of the staff were extremely friendly and went out of their way to ensure we were made to feel welcome, the generosity shown by the hotel was stunning.

The decor was lovely, especially in the dining room which was stylish and modern. We had dinner which was superb - my fillet steak was perfectly cooked and came with amazing chips in a wire basket. We thoroughly enjoyed all the food and had absolutely no complaints at all. The service was efficient with plenty of helpful and smiley staff.

In the feature rooms it may feature a waterbed. Although I liked it my wife wasn't so keen so I expect you will either love or hate it. But the view was stunning - we sat in the window and watched the sun set over Windermere.

In summary it's a wonderful hotel and the staff were the best I've ever seen in my 40+ years of visiting hotels. The location alone makes it stunning but the whole experience isn't to be forgotten. I whole-heartedly recommend the hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
MichelleCroukamp, Operations Manager at Low Wood Bay Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 3 August 2013
Dear guest, many thanks for taking the time to post your wonderful review about your recent stay at Low Wood Bay. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed all aspects of your stay especially the fillet steak in the Windermere restaurant. I am also pleased that you did like the waterbed, I am sorry however that your wife didn’t!

Thank you once again for the wonderful comments regarding our team, to know that they are the best you have encountered in +40 is wonderful to read. I will ensure your comments are passed onto the team of whom we are very proud. Once again thanks for the wonderful review and we hope to be able to welcome you to the hotel again in the future, Kind regards Michelle Croukamp, Operations Manager.
Lytham St Anne's, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 July 2013

Well we were at Low wood a year ago for our honeymoon and vowed to return and bring the family - well here we are exactly a year later and we returned and brought our 2 children for our 1 year anniversary.
Firstly.. The staff were fantastic with my children. They gave my 3 year old a Sams club goodie bag and left my 3 month old a nappy gift bag in her travel cot! Everyone was so kind and accommodating. She left her teddy in the room on check out and the hotel rang me to say they would post it as they know how important it is to a little girl!
The room: A family room - there was a downstairs section for my eldest and a generous sized mezzanine for us and the baby. Everything was clean and tidy and well stocked. All i would say (minor criticism) is that the roof had velux windows and the blinds were rubbish... With summer light starting early and finishing late at night getting the kids to sleep well was next to impossible! I would have thought in a family room that black out blnds are a must?!
Food/Drink - The breakfasts as always were 5 * and my little girl was amazed at the selection. The staff were wonderful! We ate lunch in the bistro attached to the pool - the staff were fantastic again and the food was ok - a little expensive perhaps but was enjoyed on the whole.
We are already talking about making it a yearly event.... This hotel will forever hold a special place in my heart i hope....

Room Tip: Room 305 - Family room with Mezzanine
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Dear Guest, thank you so much for the fantastic review - I was delighted to read that you and your family enjoyed your anniversary stay and that you felt the hotel was child friendly, I hope the children had chance to make the most of the Sams club activities and became members, i am also pleased we were able to return the teddy.

It was also great to read that you thoroughly enjoyed the room as well as the food in our restaurants. You may be interested to know that all Trip-advisor reviews are conveyed to the team and our directors. I look forward to welcoming you and your family back to Low Wood Bay in the near future. Kind Regards, Michelle Croukamp, Operations Manager