“A Brilliant find!”

GreenLeadersGold level
Blackburn Lancs
“A Brilliant find!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2014

We visited the hotel as my hubby was talking at a conference being held there. We have stayed in and around the area but were pleasantly surprised by this lovely hotel. We stayed two nights and the staff were very welcoming. The restaurant is fab and the food is out of this world-congrats to the chef and the team! The lounge is very nice (except for the guests who watched footie loudly on an I pad totally inconsiderate of other guests!!!).
The leisure facilities are brilliant-good pool and steam and sauna PLUS an outdoor hot tub which was lovely to relax in after a busy day. We will definitely return to the hotel and are so please to have discovered it. Thanks to all the staff for their help and attention to detail.

Room Tip: We believe the lakeside views are the better rooms and we would like to try one on our next visit. O...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
James W, Guest Relations Manager at Low Wood Bay Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 1 March 2014
Dear Guest, thank you so much for your review about our hotel. I am pleased to here that you enjoyed your recent stay. I hope that your hubby found time to relax after speaking at a conference being held here. It’s great to read that you thought the food at the hotel was out of this world, I will pass your comments on to the team of chefs here at the Low Wood. Our leisure facilities are very popular with guests and I am glad that you had the opportunity to use these whilst you were here. Once again thank you for your comments and I do hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to The Low Wood Bay in the near future. Kind Regards, James Wilkinson

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (496)
  • Thai first
Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2014

we booked in for 2 nights for my daughters half term. excellent food, kid friendly hotel with enough things to occupy the kids . our room felt a bit crowded but as it was facing the lake so it was a compensation. wi-fi was a bit of an issue but i assume it is best to keep away from gadgets on ho;iday. would recommend having both breakfast and dinner at the hotel.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Dear Guest, Thank you for your recent review about your stay at our hotel. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed the food in the hotel and found that there were enough activities to keep your daughter occupied. You may be interested to know that all Trip-advisor reviews are conveyed to the team and our directors. We hope to welcome you back to the hotel again in the future Kind Regards, James Wilkinson
Essex
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2014 via mobile

My partner booked this hotel as a surprise for my birthday.

We arrived late on Friday night with a warm welcome from the lady on reception.

Our room (511) was not one of the refurbished rooms at the front of the hotel but was spacious and had a very comfortable bed. I was pleased that this room also afforded us a partial view of the beautiful lake.

On Friday we slept very well and on Saturday we dined at the Windermere restaurant for breakfast which was very tasty. The staff in the restaurant were also very friendly and chatty - and also efficient - fixing our wobbly table without being prompted.

On Saturday we were joined by my partners young son who loved the additional items in the room which were especially for him :)

Sadly, that night we were kept awake by some kind of mechanical machinery type noise from below us, which also woke us again in the morning earlier than we would've liked at around 7am. I am not sure what caused this but it detracted from a pleasurable nights sleep which is why I have deducted a star!

Also of note perhaps to the hotel staff and management (which we forgot to mention at check out) was that on Sunday morning we received a note under our door apologising for the inconvenience of the fire alarm the night before. However, we were not aware of any fire alarm sounding (and we were awake!) - although we did hear guests gathered outside in the car park (which we assumed to be wedding guests being noisy when they were leaving).

Overall the staff were fantastic and we enjoyed our stay, sadly we had to cut it slightly short owing to me falling ill with a sickness bug which meant I was unable to enjoy breakfast on our second day (which had already been paid for) but this was not the fault of the hotel obviously.

Stayed February 2014
Dear Guest, thank you so much for you recent review about our hotel. I am pleased to hear the majority of your stay was good. I am glad that you enjoyed the food and found our staff to be friendly and attentive. Its good to hear that your partners young son also enjoyed the experience. My apologies with regards to the second nights disturbed sleep, our team will investigate this issue to ensure that this does not happen again in the future.

The letter left under your door was a generic letter to all guests to apologise for any disturbance with the fire alarms. Once again thank you for your comments and I do hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to The Low Wood Bay in the near future. Kind Regards, James Wilkinson
Irby, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2014

Spent 3 nights at Low Wood wih 2 kids (8&10). They were well catered for with a brilliant arrival pack of activity book, etc to keep them occupied in the restaurant etc, and a good sized swimming pool which we used 4 times and almost empty on all but 3 of those visits. Had a twim room with a guest bed put up and enough room for the 3 of us to move around. In the new build at the back so views of hills and plenty of rabbits running around to entertain the kids ! Had breakfast and dinner at the restaurant with good quality and wide range of food, even for daughter who is a picky eater. Main bar had wide range of drinks but generally a bit too busy to get a seat overlooking the lake. Staff were great, really friendly and professsional, and very attentive. Been here before on a conference but totally different experience bringing the kids. Would definately recommend for a family

Room Tip: If you've got the cash go for a room overlooking the lake, alternatively rooms at the back looki...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Dear Guest, thank you so much for you recent review about our hotel. It was great to read that you enjoyed your recent stay at the hotel. Its good to hear that you found our great staff to be friendly and attentive. its great that your children enjoyed the whole experience especially the swimming pool and the activity book. Its also good to hear that you enjoyed the food in the hotel at diner and breakfast and found that we had a good range of food. Once again thank you for your comments and I do hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to The Low Wood Bay in the near future. Kind Regards, James Wilkinson
London
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2014 via mobile

We just returned from a few days in the Lake District where we spent a couple of day at the waterhead hotel which is the sister hotel to the low wood. As they were fully booked for the Friday we decided to move to the low wood thinking it belongs to the same people so should be similar. Sadly as good as the waterhead is,the low wood is poor.
We had the family room (room 6). As I had an important business call, I needed internet to access my files on my computer. We were told that the hotel had internet access but I had read on tripadvisor that other guests had complained about spotty internet access. Given people had complained about this issue, the hotel feigned surprise about not having internet in the room. The hotel has poor 3G reception so I had to do my call from the bar area which was noisy.
Whilst the waterhead, classic room had 2 largeTVs in the classic room where the children could get some DVDs to keep them occupied. The low wood had a single TV which was smaller than my computer monitor and no DVD player which after some complaining the hotel supplied. The wash basin in the bath room had issues with water in that the cold water was a trickle as was the hot water till a torrent of boiling hot water came. The decor of the room was showing its age in that some of the wallpaper was soiled. The curtains in the children's half were coming of the railings.
Finally, at the waterhead we normally ordered deserts after 9pm which we could get delivered to our room but at the low wood that was not possible after 9pm. As a sign of good will the hotel reduced out bill by £39 which was pretty poor. I suppose the only redeeming feature of this hotel was that the beds are very comfortable but that's about it.
The staff at the Low wood could learn a lot from the Waterheads staff.

All in all a disappointment.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Barnoldswick, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2014

I spent two days at Low Wood. There are no negatives at all to report. The location is excellent with wonderful views. All of the things required for a comfortable and pleasant stay were present. The rooms were pleasant with a lovely comfortable bed, the staff were pleasant and helpful and the food was good.

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Dear Guest, Thank you for your recent review about your stay at the hotel. We are pleased to hear that you had a comfortable stay and we left you with a positive impression. You may be interested to know that all Trip-advisor reviews are conveyed to the team and our directors. We hope to welcome you back to the hotel again in the future Kind Regards, James Wilkinson
Wigan, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2014

Just returned from a 2 night stay.(21st -23rd feb). We have been before for the xmas party, however on this occassion my 12 year old daughter joined us.

What a place.... It was half term and the hotel was alive, all the staff from the moment we registered to the time of checking out were polite, friendly and went about their work with a smile. James and Erin on reception were very helpful and Jade behind the bar gave a warm welcome. This hotel has huge facilities and various places to sit and eat great food, all of which are of a high standard. The Windermere Restaurant offers a sophisticated eating experience. The menu suited my daughter who felt very grown up having the chance to order a cocktail (Non alcoholic of course).The breakfasts are to die for. What choices. My advice is to park the car for the weekend in the huge secure car park and enjoy all that the Low Wood has to offer.

The spa pool and hot tub are fantastic to relax in after a day walking, with the pool being ample sized catering for that family break to please all members. Whether it is a little time alone in the steam room/ sauna to sitting out in the rain while in a HOT tub overlooking Windermere, life doesnt get much better!

The rooms we had were interconnecting as my daughter is at the age where she wants her own privacy. They were dressed to a high standard and were lake view room which had a fantastic view of the lake, which is second to none. What can I say about the beds ? WOW.... What comfort. A great nights sleep. With the inclusion of WI-FI in your room, there isnt much missing from this experience. I just wished the weekend hadn't gone by so fast.
Even during an unexpected fire alarm activation, the staff were very courteous whilst directing guests to a check point and then even provided umberellas to shield us from the rain whilst we waited for the Fire Brigade to arrive and de-activate the alarms. False alarm may I add!

I will be returning to this hotel and would like to recommend the xmas parties which are excellent value for money if your looking for that little bit extra for your work colleagues. Make the enquiry for the cost for the party night. I gaurantee you will not be disappointed. This will be our works 6th Xmas party at the Low wood. However my first time leaving a review for it on tripadvisor. We had a fab time!
Brian Johnston.

Room Tip: On each visit all if the rooms we have been allocated have been of a high standard. However for the...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Dear Guest, thank you so much for your wonderful review about our hotel. It was great to read that you enjoyed your recent stay at the hotel. I am pleased to read that you found the staff to be polite and working with a smile. I will pass your comment on to James, Erin and Jade in particular. I’m glad that you had chance to dine in our Windermere restaurant and found the food to be of a good standard.

Its also good to hear that your daughter enjoyed the whole experience especially the non alcoholic cocktails. The leisure club is very popular with out guests and it’s great that you had the opportunity to use the facilities.

Our apologies again for the situation with the fire alarms, our guest safety is paramount which is why evacuation was necessary at that point. I hope that this was not too much inconvenience, but I am pleased that you though the experience was well managed and we even provided you with an umbrella. Once again thank you for your comments I hope we shall see you again for this years Christmas celebrations if not before at the Low Wood Bay Hotel. Kind Regards, James Wilkinson