We could not stay at our first choice hotel and they recommended this one. It looked lovely on the website, had good facilities and a great write-up on here, so we booked for a two night stay.
The food was good, especially the breakfasts where there were 2 buffets (hot and cold), both with a good choice and other items available on request from the kitchens. The service in the dining room was excellent.
The views were absolutely stunning as the lake is right outside and the gardens are well kept.
I had mentioned when booking that we had recently had an anniversary and there was a balloon, chocolates and a card for us when we arrived - a lovely touch.
I was very tired the second night and retired early, before I had eaten. The dining room staff sent a selection of cheeses, crackers, etc. to my room for me, at no extra charge. I can't fault the staff in the dining room, where nothing was too much trouble.
Not so good:
When asked about the beautician facilities (prices, treatments available, etc.) the reception staff said they did not know, but did not offer to find out for me. Easy enough for them to ring through the following morning for me, but not as easy for me to go and ask as I am a wheelchair user and had no internal access, having to leave the hotel by a side door, go through a car park and re-enter through a back entrance to access other facilities, and it was cold and wet that morning. A little thing, but it would have been nice.
After eating alone then settling me in our room the second night my husband went to the bar. It was 10:40 p.m. on a Monday evening and he was told they had shut! He asked could he have just the one drink and was told the tills had been locked. There was nowhere else he could get a drink. He was not happy!
The thing that was really disappointing though was the bedroom. We had taken a virtual tour on line and seen many photographs of rooms, both on the hotel website and on here. They looked lovely. They said they had the one room with disabled facilities, wet-room, etc. and this is the one we booked. Unfortunately, it did not look anything like the ones in the illustrations when we got there! Although there were two of us it was not really big enough, more like a single than a double. There was a wooden vanity unit, with mirror and a straight backed chair and 1 small armchair. That was it apart from two single beds with only a few inches between them, small bedside tables and a shelf containing a kettle, cups, etc. Okay, I use a wheelchair, but I did not want to sit in it all of the time! Two armchairs for two guests does not seem unreasonable, though there was very little space. The walk-in closet was fine, containing a small chest of drawers and some hanging space, along with a hairdryer, trouser press, iron and ironing board. It was also big enough to store the wheelchair. But everything was very worn and shabby. The wallpaper was coming loose in places, much of the paint was cracked and peeling, the grab bars in the wet room were rusting and the whole wing smelled fusty, the smell getting worse the nearer to our room (room 3) we went. The valance on one bed had different coloured patches (spilled bleach?) down one side, one of the hand towels had rather a large hole in it, getting the picture?
I would certainly not class this as a four star establishment, simply because of the room. Shame, because some of the staff (Thanks, Daniel) tried so hard. It was so disappointing. We won't be back.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- In a most spectacular location on the shores of Windermere, Low Wood Bay Resort & Spa offers luxurious 4-star accommodation and a range of resort leisure facilities to suit all ages and abilities. Blue Smoke is a contemporary dining experience that offers British produce cooked on our South American wood-fired grill, or dine in the more traditional Windermere Restaurant. Langdale Lounge and Bar also gives the opportunity to eat throughout the day with views over the lake. Relax in The Spa and pamper yourself with a range of treatments designed to restore and energise. Swimming pool, sauna, steam room, and an outdoor hot tub with unrivalled views over the lake. The fitness suite boasts state of the equipment, a dance studio, squash court and personalised trainers. For the adventurous, the Watersports Centre offers instruction in water-skiing, canoeing, paddle-boarding and much more. Low Wood Bay is in the process of upgrading and will be reopening in 3 phases, as detailed below: 1st phase: Hotel re-opens 12 April. Guests can enjoy the complete refurbishment of all the previous hotel bedrooms, ‘The Windermere’ restaurant, 'Langdale Lounge' and Health Club facilities opens in May. New improved road entrance. 2nd phase: Opens July. The Spa, a new restaurant ‘Blue Smoke,’ additional outdoor leisure facilities and a new atrium space. Final phase: Opens October. All new block of ‘Club House’ rooms and suites. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with TripOnline SA, Odigeo, Booking.com, Superbreak UK, Priceline, Agoda, Traveltool, S.L.U., Cancelon and Evoline ltd so you can book your Low Wood Bay Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Low Wood Bay Hotel Windermere
- Low Wood Windermere
- Hotel Low Wood
- Low Wood Hotel Windermere
- Low Wood Bay Resort & Spa Windermere, Lake District