“Superb hotel with great staff”

Low Wood Bay Resort & Spa
Ranked #12 of 20 Hotels in Windermere
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 31 March 2014

We stayed here for our honeymoon and the hotel was faultless. The staff were all very attentive and nothing was too much trouble for them. The room 275 was lovely light and airy and was very modern. The view across the lake was sublime to wake up to. The room was in the spa part of the hotel which at first was a bit of a worry to us not being in the main building but there was no need the room was ideal. The restaurant food was nothing short of perfect both for breakfast and dinner. The spa facilities were great and the outdoor hot tub is a must looking over the lake. Location being in between Windemere and Ambleside is ideal. If you wish there is an open top bus service that stops right outside the hotel that takes you to both places. All in all a fantastic experience that I would definately recomend to anyone. Will definitely be returning soon.

• Stayed: March 2014
James W, Guest Relations Manager at Low Wood Bay Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 11 April 2014

Dear Guest, Congratulations on your recent wedding and I am pleased that you enjoyed your Honey moon here at the hotel and thank you for such a rewarding review. I am pleased to hear that you had the opportunity to stay in on of our lake view rooms and woke up to the wonderful scenery first thing in the mornings. I am also pleased to hear that you found the staff at the Low Wood to be attentive and friendly.

The team of chefs will be pleased to hear that you found the food at both dinner and breakfast to be perfect; I will forward your comments onto them. It’s good that you got the opportunity to use the outdoor hot tub over at the leisure facilities it is very popular with the guests staying at the hotel. Thank you for sharing your comments with all trip advisor users. We look forward to seeing you again in the near future, perhaps for one of your wedding anniversaries. Kind Regards, James Wilkinson

There are newer reviews for Low Wood Bay Resort & Spa

Reviewed 30 March 2014

Just spent a couple of pamper days at the low wood. As usual not disappointed ! The dinner, bed and breakfast package is excellent value for money. Fabulous views of the lakes and mountain from our room. The staff are helpful and friendly. I was not happy with the first room I was given, but after speaking to the receptionists she gave me keys to view five other rooms to take my pick. I will be returning very soon.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Yvonne W
James W, Guest Relations Manager at Low Wood Bay Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 1 April 2014

Dear Guest, thank you so much for your review about our hotel. It was great to read that you enjoyed your recent pamper stay at the hotel and that we did not disappoint. I am glad that the staff was friendly and helpful throughout your stay.

I am sorry that you did not like the first room that you were allocated, but glad the duty receptionist arranged a better room for you with views of the lakes and mountains. Once again thank you for your comments and I do hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to The Low Wood Bay in the near future. Kind Regards, James Wilkinson

Reviewed 30 March 2014

Great hotel! Polite, well trained staff, excellent rooms and leisure club clean and warm. Recommend highly. Dinner in the restaurant was delicious - good range of dishes, beautifully presented and friendly service.

Room Tip: We had a classic room which had a side view of the lake. Lake view rooms could be noisy as main road...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest, thank you so much for your review about our hotel. It was great to read that you enjoyed your recent stay at the hotel. I am glad to read that you thought our staff was polite and well trained. It also good to hear that you thought the rooms and the leisure club were both excellent. The team of chefs here at the Low wood will be happy to hear that you thought their food was delicious and well presented; I will pass your comments onto them. Once again thank you for your comments and I do hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to The Low Wood Bay in the near future. Kind Regards, James Wilkinson

Reviewed 29 March 2014

Spent 2 nights at this hotel which is well located for Ambleside and Windermere. The dinner, bed and breakfast package represents good value - the food and service in the Windermere restaurant were very good. In general, hotel staff were friendly and helpful. Fabulous view of the lake and mountains from our room; this compensated somewhat for the rather compact size of the room (my main reason for not giving this hotel a higher rating). Due to its' proximity to the road, we experienced some traffic noise in our 'classic lake view' room. The road does quieten down at night so there wasn't really an issue in being able to sleep. Other positive features were the external hot tub with partial views of the lake and full size toiletries in the en suite bathroom (a nice touch as the usual hotel miniatures invariably run out and are also, no doubt, bad for the environment).

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest, thank you so much for your review about our hotel. I am pleased to hear that you selected the Low Wood as a base to tour the Lake District. It’s good to hear that you thought our staff was friendly and helpful especially at dinner service in the Windermere restaurant. It’s also good to here that you had the opportunity to use the leisure facilities over at the leisure club, especially the Out Door Hot tub. This is a popular facility over at the club.

Unfortunately the hotel lies on the A591 so the Lake view rooms will be nearer to the road. As you say some traffic noise will be heard throughout the day but will get quieter during the evenings. I am glad that this did not disturb your nights sleep. Once again thank you for your comments and I do hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to The Low Wood Bay in the near future. Kind Regards, James Wilkinson

Reviewed 29 March 2014

We decided to stay at The Low Wood as part of celebrating my wife's birthday and as a Mini Break. Our stay was perfect...when we arrived there was a lovely welcoming card on the table for us. Our room was spectacular overlooking the jetty in Low Wood Bay. From our arrival the staff were very helpful and pleasant...even towards our pet Cocker Spanial Bracken. We are in the main Restaurant the first night and the bar the second. Both meals were absolutely scrumptious and well presented. Our stay at The Low Wood was just what we wanted...we cannot wait for our next mini break there :-)

• Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank Garymills21

Dear Guest, thank you so much for your wonderful review about our hotel. I am pleased to hear that you all had a perfect stay celebrating your wife’s birthday. It’s good to hear that you and Bracken the Cocker Spaniel thought our staff was friendly and helpful.

I am sure that the team of chefs will be happy to hear that you thought our food was scrumptious; I will pass your comments on. Once again thank you for your comments and I do hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to The Low Wood Bay in the near future. Kind Regards, James Wilkinson

Reviewed 25 March 2014

We could not stay at our first choice hotel and they recommended this one. It looked lovely on the website, had good facilities and a great write-up on here, so we booked for a two night stay.

Positives:
The food was good, especially the breakfasts where there were 2 buffets (hot and cold), both with a good choice and other items available on request from the kitchens. The service in the dining room was excellent.

The views were absolutely stunning as the lake is right outside and the gardens are well kept.

I had mentioned when booking that we had recently had an anniversary and there was a balloon, chocolates and a card for us when we arrived - a lovely touch.

I was very tired the second night and retired early, before I had eaten. The dining room staff sent a selection of cheeses, crackers, etc. to my room for me, at no extra charge. I can't fault the staff in the dining room, where nothing was too much trouble.

Not so good:
When asked about the beautician facilities (prices, treatments available, etc.) the reception staff said they did not know, but did not offer to find out for me. Easy enough for them to ring through the following morning for me, but not as easy for me to go and ask as I am a wheelchair user and had no internal access, having to leave the hotel by a side door, go through a car park and re-enter through a back entrance to access other facilities, and it was cold and wet that morning. A little thing, but it would have been nice.

After eating alone then settling me in our room the second night my husband went to the bar. It was 10:40 p.m. on a Monday evening and he was told they had shut! He asked could he have just the one drink and was told the tills had been locked. There was nowhere else he could get a drink. He was not happy!

The thing that was really disappointing though was the bedroom. We had taken a virtual tour on line and seen many photographs of rooms, both on the hotel website and on here. They looked lovely. They said they had the one room with disabled facilities, wet-room, etc. and this is the one we booked. Unfortunately, it did not look anything like the ones in the illustrations when we got there! Although there were two of us it was not really big enough, more like a single than a double. There was a wooden vanity unit, with mirror and a straight backed chair and 1 small armchair. That was it apart from two single beds with only a few inches between them, small bedside tables and a shelf containing a kettle, cups, etc. Okay, I use a wheelchair, but I did not want to sit in it all of the time! Two armchairs for two guests does not seem unreasonable, though there was very little space. The walk-in closet was fine, containing a small chest of drawers and some hanging space, along with a hairdryer, trouser press, iron and ironing board. It was also big enough to store the wheelchair. But everything was very worn and shabby. The wallpaper was coming loose in places, much of the paint was cracked and peeling, the grab bars in the wet room were rusting and the whole wing smelled fusty, the smell getting worse the nearer to our room (room 3) we went. The valance on one bed had different coloured patches (spilled bleach?) down one side, one of the hand towels had rather a large hole in it, getting the picture?

I would certainly not class this as a four star establishment, simply because of the room. Shame, because some of the staff (Thanks, Daniel) tried so hard. It was so disappointing. We won't be back.

Room Tip: Rooms 1 - 3 are on the fusty corridor. Room 3 has traffic noise and is in need of redecoration and...
1  Thank Jan C
NevilJeffery, General Manager at Low Wood Bay Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 28 March 2014

I am sorry to learn that on your recent visit to the Low Wood Bay Resort you encountered several shortfalls in our normal standards of service and accommodation. However I am very pleased I took steps to contact you, which ensured we had the opportunity to discuss these in more detail over the phone today. As outlined, both the team and myself feel we have let ourselves down on this occasion and more importantly you and your individual needs had not being met on this occasion to which I apologies. I am only sorry we did not or had not been given the opportunity of discussed these in person whilst you had been staying with us. However as agreed you will be receiving in due course recompense for these obvious shortfalls in our normal service standards.
Kind Regards Nevil Jeffery

Reviewed 25 March 2014

Stayed for a relaxing weekend and loved everything about the Hotel, could not find one fault. Clean comfortable room, excellent and friendly service from all staff. Perfect setting overlooking the Lake with stunning views of the snow-topped hills. Cant wait to return!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
James W, Guest Relations Manager at Low Wood Bay Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 26 March 2014

Dear Guest, Thank you for your recent review about your stay at the hotel. Its good to read that you thought the hotel is set in a good location, I have to agree the views we have from the hotel are amazing no matter what time of year. I’m pleased to hear that you though all our staff at the hotel was helpful and that your room was clean and comfortable. You may be interested to know that all Trip-advisor reviews are conveyed to the team and our directors. We hope to welcome you back to the hotel again in the future Kind Regards, James Wilkinson