“Excellent hotel to explore Lake Windermere Area”

Low Wood Bay Resort & Spa
Ranked #12 of 20 Hotels in Windermere
GreenLeadersGold level
Binfield, UK
“Excellent hotel to explore Lake Windermere Area”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014

Having tried to book a long weekend for my husband's birthday I researched many hotels and found Low Wood Bay to have the key criteria I was looking for; mainly a lake view, bars and restaurant and a spa. The location of this hotel is perfect, right on the shores of Windemere, the only disappointment was in finding the road ran between the hotel and the lake - not visibly from their photos. however, it is only busy during the day and not an issue at night. On booking I was asked if we were staying for a special occasion to which I replied "my husband's birthday", on checking into our room there was a helium balloon anchored with a small box of chocolates - a really nice touch. Our room had stunning views over the lake and a jacuzzi bath. Our room was certainly one of the better ones in terms of decor and size. We ate in the restaurant on our first and second night - the Maitre de' was delightful and ensure we had a window seat (another criteria!) and the views over the lake were stunning. we both had steak and they were cooked according to our instructions and were 'melt in the mouth'. Breakfast was ample, continental and cooked. The hotel staff are helpful and professional, thank you for a lovely stay.

Room Tip: do ask for a lake view room! We were in room 21.
2 Thank Janie30
James W, Guest Relations Manager at Low Wood Bay Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 30 July 2014
Dear Janie30, thank you so much for your wonderful review about hotel. It was great to read that you enjoyed your recent long weekend celebrating your husband’s birthday. I am pleased to read that you though the Low Wood had all the key criteria required making it a lovely weekend. Its also pleasing to read that you though the room was good. I am glad that the Maitre de gave you a window table to enjoy your mouth watering steaks. Once again thank you for your comments and I do hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to The Low Bay in the near future. Kind Regards, James Wilkinson

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (497)
  • Thai first
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2014

We booked in advance a suite described as "Luxury". We were highly disappointed on arrival. Whilst the reception and bar areas have been modernised and are fine and the location and old part of the building are lovely, there is a large newer extension to the rear which has a soulless conference centre feel. Our booked room was in that part and was very tired and of basic quality. It could not truthfully be described as "Luxury". We were offered another room in the old part overlooking the Lake but again it was tired and basic. We therefore moved to the Waterhead a sister hotel up the road which is lovely and was of much higher standard. It was worth paying a little extra for. The Low Wood rooms really need major refurbishment to be described as Luxury and are overpriced in their present condition in our view.

Room Tip: Go elsewhere and get better value
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank SByrne119
NevilJeffery, General Manager at Low Wood Bay Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 5 July 2014
SByrne119 I am sorry to learn we scored a very disappointing 2 out of five after cut short stay at Low Wood Bay, certainly influenced by being allocated one of the though remaining rooms still to be refurbished under our ongoing refurbishment programme. I am however pleased to report once our reception team had been made aware your individual expectation had not been met. They did everything to ensure alternative accommodation had been made available at our sister hotel just down the road, which has undergone a full refurbishment programme. For those reading and visiting for the first time we in no way market ourselves as Luxury but we do market ourselves are offering great accommodation, friendly staff throughout all neatly placed within the heart of the South Lakes at affordable prices.
East Peckham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2014

This hotel is a must stay if your planning a trip to the lakes.

The staff are so professional and nothing is too much trouble, it's impeccably clean everywhere... True service with a smile.

It was my hen weekend... I wanted a relaxing weekend, good food and a lovely hotel...I got all that and more...I arrived with a friend on Friday evening and from then until we left the staff at Low Wood were amazing, polite, attentive and nothing was too much for any of us in the party, and always with a smile. The room I had was also impeccably clean and spacious and the beds are so comfy

I would especially like to thank the girls at your Spa, who went the extra mile to make this a special day not just for me but for all my guests. They were wonderful and every single one of us commented on how lovely, polite and professional the girls were and made us all very relaxed. It was exactly how I would have imagined it to be and more.

I would also like to personally thank, Jordan one of the many waiters for everything he did on Saturday evening. He was our waiter for the evening and he was so fantastic. He certainly made the evening special for us all and in all our opinions he is a asset to Low Wood. The food was excellent, the service faultless .

This is not just my opinion it was shared by all 14 of us in our party. I will certainly be visiting again.
Claire Spedding
Room 404.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
James W, Guest Relations Manager at Low Wood Bay Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 1 July 2014
Dear Claire S, thank you so much for your wonderful review about the hotel. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your special weekend with the girls. It’s also good to hear that you thought the staff was amazing in both the hotel and the leisure facilities. I will pass your comments onto the girls at the leisure club and Jordan in the restaurant. I hope that your big day is a success and I hope that we will see you again in the future maybe for a special anniversary.

All Trip advisor comments are passed onto management and directors. Once again thank you for your comments and I do hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to The Low Wood Bay in the near future. Kind Regards, James Wilkinson
Churchtown uk
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2014 via mobile

An expensive hotel when booked early. Tired rooms, indifferent breakfast, all relying on a good location
Stayed with our American friends on a small tour. I was embarrassed as I had recommended following advice from a friend who had stayed ten years before
Over priced, needs some work. Don't pay more than £100 for the location

Stayed June 2014
1 Thank Churchtownlad
Mr Churdownlad, I am sorry to learn we scored a very disappointing 2 out of five after your recent stay at Low Wood Bay, certainly influenced by by being allocated one of the though remaining rooms still to be refurbished under our ongoing refurbishment programme. Please be assured your observations and experiences will be discussed with the team and learning opportunities looked for to ensure upon your next visit we can greatly improve on the overall score awarded on this occasion.
Clitheroe, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014

We've stayed here 2 years running now as my wife participated in the Great North Swim. I'd highly recommend this hotel, although it's not a modern hotel, it certainly is to a high standard which each room having it's own individual design, particularly in the main building. We've been lucky enough to have a lake view on both occasions which certainly improved our stay. Food was good with options in both the main restaurant and the leisure club to suit all budgets.

Room Tip: Ask for a lake view on check in!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Jason T, thank you for your rewarding review, I hope your wife enjoyed doing the great north swim, I think it takes a lot of courage and not sure it’s something I could do myself. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay at the Low Wood, and thought everything was executed to a high standard. The Great North Swim was a great success and we look forward to hosting the event again next year, we hope to see you there. You may be interested to know that all Trip-advisor reviews are conveyed to the team and the board of directors. Kind Regards, James Wilkinson
scotland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2014

Lovely place to stay, been here many times. Very relaxing, great breakfast & lovely staff. Rooms are nice & the place is lovely & airy. Evening meal was a bit disappointing. Hellish trying to turn right out of the car park.

Room Tip: Lake view rooms are fab but a bit expensive we usually go for the rooms at the back as they are chea...
1 Thank lou7777
Dear Lou7777, Thank you for your recent review about your stay at the hotel. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed all aspects of your stay. You may be interested to know that all Trip-advisor reviews are conveyed to the team and our directors. We hope to welcome you back to the hotel again in the future Kind Regards, James Wilkinson
Oldham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2014

i would highly recommend this hotel. its very well laid out. great facilities.3 choices to eat in the windermere restaurant is really nice. the hotel is in a great location about 2 miles to ambleside & 3 miles to windermere. great views of the lake & small marina where you can hire boats from, the even provide free boat crossing to ambleside. we stayed in room 510 which was a large comfortable room.we really loved the room even though it overlooked the car park..the leisure center was good,clean plenty to do the pool was a nice size and clean open from 7am. the staff are good & friendly make you feel welcome. they also do weddings which i can see would be a good choice to consider as a venue. we loved our stay would definitely stay again.

4 Thank gary c
Dear Gary C, thank you so much for your review about our hotel. It was great to read that you enjoyed your recent stay. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed all aspects of your stay from the welcoming staff to the Watersports and leisure facilities. Once again thank you for your comments and I do hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to The Low Wood Bay in the near future. Kind Regards, James Wilkinson