“Dads Birthday Weekend”

Low Wood Bay Resort & Spa
Ranked #12 of 20 Hotels in Windermere
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Just returned from a great weekend at this lovely hotel. 10 of us stayed for my Dads 80th birthday, including kids ranging from 6 - 10 years old. The location right by the lake was fab, and we didn't find the busy road intrusive at all. The hotel is great for families - it is a nice standard of hotel but not too fussy, so we all felt relaxed enough to let the kids have fun without being worried about glares from other guests. There was a nice atmosphere throughout the hotel, and all the staff were pleasant and helpful.
We had two interconnecting rooms ( 315 and 316 ) which were a good size and nicely decorated. They had everything you need - my onlyvery small gripe being that the tray the kettle, etc was on was a cheap yellow floral one that did not fit with the standard of everything else. Please change!
Staff were very accommodating on reception and in the restaurant with regards to a special cake we had organised. The food was great. The only disappointment was the meal on the second night, which was my dads actual birthday, was not the same standard as the previous night. Steaks were overcooked, venison not as nice. It seemed as though a different chef had cooked?? We wondered if it was anything to do with the fact there was a wedding going on, so the team were also involved in this?
However, this did not detract at all from what was a hugely enjoyable trip for all of us and I would definitely recommend the hotel for anyone else wanting a family trip away. The kids were already saying they want to come away for Nannas birthday in September!
Thanks Low Wood for helping to make my Dads birthday very special.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
James W, Guest Relations Manager at Low Wood Bay Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2014

Dear Sarahcam2014, thank you so much for your wonderful review about hotel. I am please to hear that you enjoyed your stay celebrating your dad’s birthday and we helped to make it special. It was good to hear that all ages in your party had a good time and were made to feel comfortable. I hope that your dad enjoyed his birthday cake.

I am sorry to hear that the meal to celebrate your dad’s birthday was not at a similar standard to the previous evening but I am pleased to hear that this did not put a dampener on the whole weekend. Once again thank you for your comments and I do hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to The Low Wood Bay in September for Nan’s birthday. Kind Regards, James Wilkinson

Write a ReviewReviews (1,869)

Reviewed 7 July 2014

Just returned from a fabulous weekend with the girls. We were upgraded to a Lake View and boy what A VIEW !!! It was amazing. Room was modern and spotless as was the bathroom. The fan in the room was a nice touch as we were lucky to have fabulous weather for 2 days!! We had dinner in the restaurant and were not disappointed it was really yummy as was the breakfast the next morning. Staff were all very welcoming and friendly.

The hotel is in an ideal location overlooking the lake and marina and is a lovely spot to just sit and have a glass of wine and nibbles - as we did!! We could have been anywhere in the world it was just perfect. About a 5 minute drive to the Waters Edge which is another perfect spot to just sit and watch the world go by and 10 minutes into the livelier Ambleside with its many shops and restaurants.

There is also a lovely pool and spa area, was a bit busy on our stay with children, but it did not bother us we just sat in the outdoor jacuzzi and chilled.

All in all a fabulous time was had by all and we cannot wait to go back. I would not hesitate in recommending this hotel - book it you will not be disappointed!!!

Room Tip: We had a free upgrade to a Lake View but if this is not available I would definitely pay the extra.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Sandyshambles

Dear Sandyshambles, thank you so much for your wonderful review about hotel. It was great to read that you enjoyed your recent weekend away with the girls. I am also pleased to read that you liked your complimentary room upgrade with a lake view and found it to be modern and spotless. Our leisure facilities are very popular and I am pleased to hear that you had the chance to use these whilst you were here. Once again thank you for your comments and I do hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to The Low Wood Bay in the near future. Kind Regards, James Wilkinson

Reviewed 6 July 2014

I've stay here a few times on business. On this particular visit I enjoyed two lunches and one evening meal. The service was very good as was all the food I ordered.
The hotel has a nice bar area and we were looked after by Jade who was a credit to the place.
It has a great location looking over Lake Windermere half way between Windermere and Ambleside, I was lucky enough to get a lake view that was fantastic.
The room was clean, comfortable and well appointed.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
James W, Guest Relations Manager at Low Wood Bay Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2014

Dear Shanghai_Sam, Once again thank you so much for your review – It is always good to receive feedback from our guest but even better when it is returning guests. It was great to read that you enjoyed two lunches and a dinner here at the Low Wood and enjoyed a clean and comfortable room.. It’s also good to hear that you were well looked after by Jade in the bar. I will pass your comments onto Jade and I am sure she will be pleased to hear them. Once again thank you for your comments and I do hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to The Low Wood Bay in the near future. Kind Regards James Wilkinson

Reviewed 3 July 2014

My husband and I had the pleasure of getting married at Low Wood Bay in March this year and I cannot rate it highly enough. We had the most perfect day of our lives in our dream wedding venue. The hotel in itself is beautiful, then you take into account its location and you really couldn't get any better. The staff are fantastic, nothing is too much trouble and this is something that was commented on by all of our wedding guests. The food is absolutely out of this world and the kitchen staff were very accommodating to any specific dietary requirements. The wedding coordinators, Rea and Gemma, were fantastic and were with us for every step of the way during the planning of the wedding. I have heard nothing but positive reviews from our guests and those that stayed over at the hotel loved it. Low Wood Bay is somewhere that will always have a special place in our hearts and we cant wait to return in the near future.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Beckityboo, thank you for your amazing review about your recent wedding day at Low Wood Bay. I am so pleased that you chose Low Wood Bay for your special day. It was certainly a pleasure to host your wedding and welcome your family and friends to enjoy with you your special day. I know Gemma, Rea and the team will read your review, and on behalf of the team thank you. I am pleased that you enjoyed all aspect of your wedding day at the hotel. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel for your first wedding anniversary in 2014. Once again congratulations. Kind Regards, James Wilkinson

Reviewed 2 July 2014

Huge car park. Staff friendly helpful & professional. Pool & Cafe excellent. Food - yummy & plenty of it, especially breaky & the pizzas in the cafe. Sparkling clean bathroom, family room large very clean & comfy but in no way toddler proof - little one could open the door to escape even with the lock on, the sockets weren't covered, nowhere to put kettle/tea tray out of reach. There was a rubber ducky waiting for our little girl with a complimentary bag of nappies & bags which was a lovely unexpected touch however we would have preferred some sort of mattress and bedding for the cot. We were provided with a bath towel and a small pram sized cellular blanket which did not cover her. We decided to stay another night as everything else was brilliant so we went out and got a decent blanket, luckily we had pre-empted there being no mattress so already had our own, I think this is the only thing that really needs to be addressed - the last premier inn we stayed in provided these.
We would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: The ice machine is right outside the door of room 7 (a 'luxury room' avec midnight visits fr...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Dear SarahB, thank you so much for your review about hotel. It was great to read that you enjoyed your recent stay at the hotel. I am pleased to hear that you particularly enjoyed the leisure facilities and Café del Lago. I am also pleased that you found your room to be of good size and clean.

I am however sorry to hear that you thought we had some safety issues at the hotel. I will ensure that your comments are passed onto the relevant departments to address and rectify these matters. Once again thank you for your comments, your comments are passed onto the general manager and directors of the company,and I do hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to The Low Wood Bay in the near future. Kind Regards, James Wilkinson

Reviewed 1 July 2014

Having tried to book a long weekend for my husband's birthday I researched many hotels and found Low Wood Bay to have the key criteria I was looking for; mainly a lake view, bars and restaurant and a spa. The location of this hotel is perfect, right on the shores of Windemere, the only disappointment was in finding the road ran between the hotel and the lake - not visibly from their photos. however, it is only busy during the day and not an issue at night. On booking I was asked if we were staying for a special occasion to which I replied "my husband's birthday", on checking into our room there was a helium balloon anchored with a small box of chocolates - a really nice touch. Our room had stunning views over the lake and a jacuzzi bath. Our room was certainly one of the better ones in terms of decor and size. We ate in the restaurant on our first and second night - the Maitre de' was delightful and ensure we had a window seat (another criteria!) and the views over the lake were stunning. we both had steak and they were cooked according to our instructions and were 'melt in the mouth'. Breakfast was ample, continental and cooked. The hotel staff are helpful and professional, thank you for a lovely stay.

Room Tip: do ask for a lake view room! We were in room 21.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Janie30

Dear Janie30, thank you so much for your wonderful review about hotel. It was great to read that you enjoyed your recent long weekend celebrating your husband’s birthday. I am pleased to read that you though the Low Wood had all the key criteria required making it a lovely weekend. Its also pleasing to read that you though the room was good. I am glad that the Maitre de gave you a window table to enjoy your mouth watering steaks. Once again thank you for your comments and I do hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to The Low Bay in the near future. Kind Regards, James Wilkinson

Reviewed 30 June 2014

We booked in advance a suite described as "Luxury". We were highly disappointed on arrival. Whilst the reception and bar areas have been modernised and are fine and the location and old part of the building are lovely, there is a large newer extension to the rear which has a soulless conference centre feel. Our booked room was in that part and was very tired and of basic quality. It could not truthfully be described as "Luxury". We were offered another room in the old part overlooking the Lake but again it was tired and basic. We therefore moved to the Waterhead a sister hotel up the road which is lovely and was of much higher standard. It was worth paying a little extra for. The Low Wood rooms really need major refurbishment to be described as Luxury and are overpriced in their present condition in our view.

Room Tip: Go elsewhere and get better value
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank SByrne119
NevilJeffery, General Manager at Low Wood Bay Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 5 July 2014

SByrne119 I am sorry to learn we scored a very disappointing 2 out of five after cut short stay at Low Wood Bay, certainly influenced by being allocated one of the though remaining rooms still to be refurbished under our ongoing refurbishment programme. I am however pleased to report once our reception team had been made aware your individual expectation had not been met. They did everything to ensure alternative accommodation had been made available at our sister hotel just down the road, which has undergone a full refurbishment programme. For those reading and visiting for the first time we in no way market ourselves as Luxury but we do market ourselves are offering great accommodation, friendly staff throughout all neatly placed within the heart of the South Lakes at affordable prices.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Windermere
Applegarth Villa and Restaurant
Ambleside Salutation Hotel, BW Premier Collection
Langdale Chase Hotel
Langdale Chase Hotel
#10 of 20 in Windermere

Been to Low Wood Bay Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!