“Poor quality of customer service & not worth the money.”

Low Wood Bay Resort & Spa
Ranked #12 of 20 Hotels in Windermere
GreenLeadersGold level
“Poor quality of customer service & not worth the money.”
Reviewed 12 August 2014

My partner booked this room as a birthday present for me. I had no idea how much he paid for the room but considering what we were told, I was a bit disappointed. There was one window which constituted as a lake view and this was screwed shut. There were holes in the bed sheets, when I went to run a bath, there was a lot of black slimy sludge coming out of the taps so had to drain the bath, clear out the taps with a tissue and re run the bath. The toilet had a black rim of mould n slime in it. I am pregnant so my internal thermostat is all over the place and as you may well know July was a very hot month and I couldn't open the window to let a breeze in as I said because the only window in the room was screwed shut!! I didn't want to complain because as I said it was a gift. I then found out just before leaving, my partner had paid £400 for 2 nights in this room. That's when I saw red!! I went to reception and asked to speak to a manager and was told none were available. They took my number and stated someone would ring me (I'm still waiting). I rang them myself 2 days after departing and was told again there was no manager available. I put forward my complaint again and yet still no call. The following week I sent an email and still nothing. I would NOT recommend this hotel. Especially when there are so many other beautiful hotels in Windermere with such wonderful service and value for money. Poor customer service and rooms not up to standard.

• Stayed July 2014
3 Thank Kel8778

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (507)
  • Thai first
Todmorden, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 August 2014

We booked a 3 night Dinner, Bed and Breakfast stay arriving on the 1st of August unfortunately we picked a very wet weekend to visit, but it wouldn't be a trip to the lakes if it didn't rain.
We arrived around 2 pm and where quickly checked in and given our room key and booked a table for dinner, the staff at reception offered to have our bags taken to our room we declined the offer as we only had 1 small suitcase. Our room was only a basic one but it was bigger than I expected it was comfortable and clean with a good size bathroom my only issues was there seemed to be a little two much furniture in the room which made it feel slightly cluttered. The restaurant staff were really polite and friendly there was a great choice of food on the menu so we had a hard time choosing what to have. When the food arrived the starter was huge and tasted amazing the mains and deserts where just as good if not better.
We used the leisure club a few times during our stay I really like the fact they provide towels and the facilities were well maintained and I loved the outdoor hot tub it was great to sit in the warm water watching the world pass by.
All in all I would recommend a stay hear to anyone It was a perfect place to spend our 1st anniversary.

1 Thank James G
James W, Guest Relations Manager at Low Wood Bay Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 13 August 2014
Dear James G, thank you so much for your wonderful review about hotel and congratulations on celebrating you 1st anniversary. It was great to read that you enjoyed your recent break at the hotel; I am pleased to hear that you found your room bigger than you expected and that it was clean and comfortable.

I am pleased to read that you thought our staff was polite and friendly. It was great to read that you liked the choice of menu we have to offer in our Windermere Restaurant and found the food to be of an amazing standard; I will pass you comments on to the team of chefs here at the Low Wood. Once again thank you for your comments and I do hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to The Low Wood Bay in the near future. Kind Regards, James Wilkinson
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 August 2014

I came with my son for a 4 day break for some fishing. When we arrived, there was a pile of information printed out for us about where to fish, permits and other information along with a personal letter from Martha in the office, offering further help. There were several other individual and personal touches in our room.
We found the staff to be friendly and helpful throughout the hotel and also patient. There were some particularly aggressive and difficult guests at check out when we were leaving and the staff showed them more respect and patience than they deserved.
We will certainly return.
Stephen West

Room Tip: Book early to get a room with a view of the lake
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Dear Stephen W, thank you so much for your wonderful review about hotel. It was great to read that you enjoyed your recent fishing break at the hotel; I am pleased to hear that you found our fishing information useful to you. I am pleased to read that you thought our staff were wonderful and stayed professional even when dealing with challenging guests. Once again thank you for your comments and I do hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to The Low Wood Bay in the near future. Kind Regards, James Wilkinson
Holmes Chapel, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 August 2014

For the last 11 years I have been staying at the Low Wood Hotel. The last 4 years have been with my husband. We love coming as we love the location. We are always welcomed with a smiley face and helpful service. The food is consistently excellent and very varied. It is very reasuring to see that the staff come to stay at the hotel as their holiday. I think that is always a sign of a good hotel. We will definitely be returning. Thank you for recharging our batteries.

Room Tip: All the rooms are excellent.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Alexandra S, thank you so much for your review about hotel, it was great that you enjoyed your return stay, we must be doing something right if you have been coming back to see us for over 11 years and you have now been coming here with your husband for the past 4 years. It was also very pleasing to read that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay especially the room, the team at the hotel and the food. Once again thank you and I do hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to The Low Wood Bay in the near future. Kind Regards, James Wilkinson
Reviewed 8 August 2014

Me and my partner stayed here for our friend's wedding in May this year. We were looking forward to our stay as we had paid £150 for a one night stay and were expecting a large room with lovely furniture, a big bed and a bit of a view. What we actually got resembled a less modern travel lodge or premier inn. We were very disappointed with the room and feel that the hotel is very over priced for what we got. Still in shock that we paid that much money for a tiny room with old furniture. I do think the rooms need renovating to reflect value for money. I shall not be staying there again and wouldn't recommend it to anyone else. There are much better hotels in the area at better prices.

• Stayed May 2014
2 Thank seasideshaw
Dear Seasideshaw, thank you for your review, I hope that you enjoyed the recent wedding that you attended at the hotel. I am sorry to hear that you thought your room was small and outdated. We are on a rolling refurbishment programme and some of the rooms are being addressed. It is always a pleasure to receive feedback, not only from the bride and groom but from their friends and family. Once again thank you for your review I hope you will give us the chance to rectify your above comments and we hope to see you again in the near future. Kind Regards, James Wilkinson
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 August 2014

This hotel has some good points. Staff are super friendly, spa and breakfast good. Our bathroom had been revamped and the tea tray well supplied.
On the down side lots of areas are shabby, the corridors and parts of the outside in-particular.
The room we were given ,163 , had the lake view we requested, but it was so close to the main road that it was like sleeping next to a motorway, the road runs in front of the hotel. The window was filthy so it was hard to appreciate the lake view through the grime. The room was £185 a night and it was really tiny.
The pizza in the cafe was simply dreadful lots of really thick tomato sauce and not much else on top, and the desert crepe when it finally came was stone cold, thick, and the pale consistency of a white rubber sheet. I didn't eat it.
In all, for the one night cost of nearly £300 I have had a much better experience elsewhere.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Hannah A
Dear Guest, thank you so much for your recent review regarding your recent break. It was a pleasure to read that you liked room with the lake view an thought that our super friendly and you liked the facilities occross at the leisure club . I was however disappointed to learn that we failed to meet your expectations in relation food in café del Lago and the cleanliness of the windows and you felt that certain areas of the hotel were shabby.

We will address the issues you highlighted with Café del Lago and the hotel team. It was great to read that you enjoyed the breakfast each morning. I do hope that you give us the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel in the future, Once again thank you for your review. Kind Regards, James Wilkinson
Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 August 2014

Very large hotel overlooking Lake Windermere. Short walk from Waterhead, Ambleside. Spent one night there. Room ok, dinner was reasonable too. Not much more to add. Prefer the smaller country hotels in the Lakes but there is nothing wrong with this one if you go in for large hotels. Has a good leidure centre. Good selection at breakfast with some dishes being cooked to order. Staff were busy as the hotel was practically full.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
James W, Guest Relations Manager at Low Wood Bay Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 7 August 2014
Dear Bec011, Thank you for your recent review about your stay at the hotel. You may be interested to know that all Trip-advisor reviews are conveyed to the team and our directors. We hope to welcome you back to the hotel again in the future Kind Regards, James Wilkinson