“Friendly Staff, Excellent Facilities and great food.”

Low Wood Bay Resort & Spa
Ranked #12 of 20 Hotels in Windermere
GreenLeadersGold level
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Friendly Staff, Excellent Facilities and great food.”
Reviewed 13 August 2014 via mobile

We arrived with a little Cocker Spaniel, staff on reception were very informative, polite and lovely. They confirmed to us that Buster our little dog was not allowed in the restaurant, we explained that he was a pup and we didn't want to leave him in the room therefore they reserved us a table by the fire in the sitting room and served us diner there, it was lovely - we did have the manager to thank for that as he totally understood our dilemma and was very helpful. The hotel is very clean, extremely comfortable, beautiful setting and food was delicious - we will certainly return.

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank Angela T
MichelleCroukamp, Opperations Manager at Low Wood Bay Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 25 August 2014
Dear Guest, thank you for your review and comments about hotel, the food, and the service from our team. I am glad you bought your puppy along, it sounds like he enjoyed his stay as much as you (hope he enjoyed his doggy treats in the room and the walking suggestions)

Once again thank you for sharing your comments with all trip advisor users. We look forward to seeing you all again in the future. Kind Regards, Michelle Croukamp, Operations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (497)
  • Thai first
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 August 2014

We had our wedding here in June and the Low Wood team were brilliant from start to finish. Everything was very relaxed and just how we wanted. They couldn't have been more helpful and the day was perfect.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Newlyweds, thank you for your review regarding your recent wedding day at Low Wood Bay. I am so pleased that you chose Low Wood Bay for your special day.

It was certainly a pleasure to host your wedding and welcome your family and friends to enjoy with you your special day. I know Gemma, Rea and the team will read your review, and on behalf of the team thank you. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel for your first wedding anniversary in 2014. Once again congratulations. Kind Regards, Michelle Croukamp, Operations Manager.
Horwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 August 2014

My son and his fiancé got married at this hotel 27th July 2014. I cannot praise all the staff enough, they went above and beyond all expectations. Our bedroom was beautiful with superb lake views and the comfiest bed we have ever slept in. Our grandsons loved the swimming pool which they used the day after the wedding. The food was excellent and the following mornings breakfast was delicious. We will certainly be staying there again on our next trip to the Lake District

Room Tip: My husband and I stayed in room 163 with an excellent lake view.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
James W, Guest Relations Manager at Low Wood Bay Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 13 August 2014
Dear June I, thank you for your review, I am pleased that you enjoyed your sons wedding here at the Low Wood. I am pleased to hear that you loved the room you were allocated and your grandson’s loved the pool at the leisure club. It is always a pleasure to host weddings and even better to receive wonderful feedback, not only from the bride and groom but from their friends and family. Once again thank you for your review and we hope to see you all again in the near future. Kind Regards, James Wilkinson
Reviewed 12 August 2014

My partner booked this room as a birthday present for me. I had no idea how much he paid for the room but considering what we were told, I was a bit disappointed. There was one window which constituted as a lake view and this was screwed shut. There were holes in the bed sheets, when I went to run a bath, there was a lot of black slimy sludge coming out of the taps so had to drain the bath, clear out the taps with a tissue and re run the bath. The toilet had a black rim of mould n slime in it. I am pregnant so my internal thermostat is all over the place and as you may well know July was a very hot month and I couldn't open the window to let a breeze in as I said because the only window in the room was screwed shut!! I didn't want to complain because as I said it was a gift. I then found out just before leaving, my partner had paid £400 for 2 nights in this room. That's when I saw red!! I went to reception and asked to speak to a manager and was told none were available. They took my number and stated someone would ring me (I'm still waiting). I rang them myself 2 days after departing and was told again there was no manager available. I put forward my complaint again and yet still no call. The following week I sent an email and still nothing. I would NOT recommend this hotel. Especially when there are so many other beautiful hotels in Windermere with such wonderful service and value for money. Poor customer service and rooms not up to standard.

• Stayed July 2014
3 Thank Kel8778
Todmorden, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 August 2014

We booked a 3 night Dinner, Bed and Breakfast stay arriving on the 1st of August unfortunately we picked a very wet weekend to visit, but it wouldn't be a trip to the lakes if it didn't rain.
We arrived around 2 pm and where quickly checked in and given our room key and booked a table for dinner, the staff at reception offered to have our bags taken to our room we declined the offer as we only had 1 small suitcase. Our room was only a basic one but it was bigger than I expected it was comfortable and clean with a good size bathroom my only issues was there seemed to be a little two much furniture in the room which made it feel slightly cluttered. The restaurant staff were really polite and friendly there was a great choice of food on the menu so we had a hard time choosing what to have. When the food arrived the starter was huge and tasted amazing the mains and deserts where just as good if not better.
We used the leisure club a few times during our stay I really like the fact they provide towels and the facilities were well maintained and I loved the outdoor hot tub it was great to sit in the warm water watching the world pass by.
All in all I would recommend a stay hear to anyone It was a perfect place to spend our 1st anniversary.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank James G
Dear James G, thank you so much for your wonderful review about hotel and congratulations on celebrating you 1st anniversary. It was great to read that you enjoyed your recent break at the hotel; I am pleased to hear that you found your room bigger than you expected and that it was clean and comfortable.

I am pleased to read that you thought our staff was polite and friendly. It was great to read that you liked the choice of menu we have to offer in our Windermere Restaurant and found the food to be of an amazing standard; I will pass you comments on to the team of chefs here at the Low Wood. Once again thank you for your comments and I do hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to The Low Wood Bay in the near future. Kind Regards, James Wilkinson
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 August 2014

I came with my son for a 4 day break for some fishing. When we arrived, there was a pile of information printed out for us about where to fish, permits and other information along with a personal letter from Martha in the office, offering further help. There were several other individual and personal touches in our room.
We found the staff to be friendly and helpful throughout the hotel and also patient. There were some particularly aggressive and difficult guests at check out when we were leaving and the staff showed them more respect and patience than they deserved.
We will certainly return.
Stephen West

Room Tip: Book early to get a room with a view of the lake
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Dear Stephen W, thank you so much for your wonderful review about hotel. It was great to read that you enjoyed your recent fishing break at the hotel; I am pleased to hear that you found our fishing information useful to you. I am pleased to read that you thought our staff were wonderful and stayed professional even when dealing with challenging guests. Once again thank you for your comments and I do hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to The Low Wood Bay in the near future. Kind Regards, James Wilkinson
Holmes Chapel, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 August 2014

For the last 11 years I have been staying at the Low Wood Hotel. The last 4 years have been with my husband. We love coming as we love the location. We are always welcomed with a smiley face and helpful service. The food is consistently excellent and very varied. It is very reasuring to see that the staff come to stay at the hotel as their holiday. I think that is always a sign of a good hotel. We will definitely be returning. Thank you for recharging our batteries.

Room Tip: All the rooms are excellent.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Alexandra S, thank you so much for your review about hotel, it was great that you enjoyed your return stay, we must be doing something right if you have been coming back to see us for over 11 years and you have now been coming here with your husband for the past 4 years. It was also very pleasing to read that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay especially the room, the team at the hotel and the food. Once again thank you and I do hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to The Low Wood Bay in the near future. Kind Regards, James Wilkinson