“Amazing very friendly and excellant service”

Low Wood Bay Resort & Spa
Ranked #12 of 20 Hotels in Windermere
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 13 August 2009

We had a great stay. Everyone was so polite and very welcoming. Very clean hotel and great surroundings and excellent facilities. I would definatly recommend anyone to visit. We loved it so much we have booked to go again.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
GeneralManagerLWH, General Manager at Low Wood Bay Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2009

Dear anniKent, Thanks so much for the fantastic review - I was delighted to read that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay, and you found all the staff friendly and polite. I am so pleased you have booked a return visit. Best regards Nevil Jeffery

Reviewed 29 July 2009

Our family of four stayed for two nights in two rooms in separate sections of the hotel. My lake-view room was pleasantly decorated and homely, perhaps a touch small for the price. The bathroom was also small, but the power shower made up for this! As other reviews have noted, there is a busy road between the hotel and the lake, but this didn't disturb us particularly, and there's really not much that can be done about it! The wooden furniture needed attention - squeaky bed and sticky runners in the chest of drawers. The wardrobe was bizarre - a normal double size but with the rail running front- to-back, so that the first item hid all of the others!
Our children's room was in the annexe - not much of a view but larger and with a bath. It was much blander but they were quite happy there.
Breakfasts were excellent, and the staff very courteous and helpful. We ate dinner in the "Cafe del Lago" in the leisure complex - basically a pizzeria, but the food was fine.
The gym is outstanding - high quality machines that looked brand new. The pool was a bit on the small side, but ok, the sauna and steam room small but in excellent order, and the outdoor hot tub a real bonus.
Given the terrible weather, the Low Wood was a real find. We sailed during the one day's respite from the rain (good value boat hire), and used the leisure centre intensively while it bucketed down! Without all of the facilities we would have had a pretty miserable time.
We were there on a 50% discount, which made it pretty good value; I'd blanch at paying the full rate.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank Dorset46

Dear Dorset46, Thanks so much for the constructive review – I read with interest your comments relating to the furniture needing a little attention, maybe you would consider contacting me directly and giving me the room number this relates to, so I can ensure something is done about it. We are delighted you enjoyed the leisure facilities especially our new gym, which as you point out is a real benefit to all guests.
I am pleased you took advantage of our online booking system, which makes booking fast and will ensure the best rate available bar none. Hope to see you again in the near future, kind regards Nevil Jeffery.

Reviewed 26 July 2009

I have had several excellent stays at the Low Wood over the last, say, five years & have never been disappointed by any aspect of the hotel, from the staff, food, amenities or decor, especially since the hotel had a mini make over last year. I have used a different number of rooms, all extremely comfortable with good bathrooms, some with spa baths.
I particularly enjoy a pint of Real Ale, & there is always a tasty local brew available at the bar. My only criticism of last years changes to the Reception & bar areas is that the old 'snug ' is no more - a cosy winters venue!
I don't think you will be disappointed, as you will get what you pay for, but don't confuse this location with city centre 4 star hotels with vastly reduced weekend rates - they don't need to do that here, & remember, you're in some of the most wonderful countryside in the world.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled solo
2  Thank Jonny-Bramhall

Dear Jonny-Bramhall, Firstly, thank you so much for a rewarding review. As a respected and frequent visitor to the Low Wood, I along with the team are pleased you have appreciated the work and commitment we strive to improve the quality of the hotel both with regards to service and facilities. Hope to welcome you back soon in the near future, kind regards Nevil Jeffery.

Reviewed 26 July 2009

I found all the staff I dealt with so friendly and helpful during my stay at Low Wood. All small problems were sorted promptly and with a smile. The public areas have been renovated sympathetically, the location is great and when the shabby bedrooms and corridors have been modernised the hotel should be worthy of 4 stars. However, until then I feel prices are far too high.
The Leisure facilities are especially good for families but they also need updating, looked like an old council run swimming pool!
Restaurant staff were attentive and both breakfast and dinner were of a good quality.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank WhitleyBayLesley

Dear WhitleyBayLesley, Firstly, thank you so much for recognizing our friendly approach to service, a smile always goes a long way.
We are pleased you favor the ground floor refurbishment and as you say our location is very favorable.
I am sorry your did find one or two aspect of the hotel a little disappointing and we take these comments on board.
We hope to welcome you back soon, Best regards Nevil Jeffery

Reviewed 16 July 2009

The web site looks great for this hotel, but like a couple of UK hotels I've stayed in now, it promises style but beyond the reception, bar and restaurant delivers drabness .
Photo's on the web site of the outside,location and facilities are certainly taken with artistic licience.
Check in, great. Reception area beautiful and stylish. Staff welcoming.
Room...well, I couldn't quite believe it and so had to call reception to check how much I was paying (£146 per night, B&B 2 adults, 1 child with dinner one night). The room was no bigger than a travel lodge. The bathroom was tiny. The view from the window was a bank of grass. I was told I was on a 50% discount. I was confused, I asked how they had achieved their four stars and was told it was to do with the facilities. Well, being less than impressed I was offered a lake view room and went to view it. It was smaller than rm 311 and it was late so I accepted a reduced rate.
If your considering staying here, accept that the four stars are not well deserved by the amenities.
Room: no fridge, double bed made of two singles zipped together, pillows rubbish, decor old
Good points are that it was clean although the bathroom had mold in the grout and a crack in the basin.
Be aware that there are a lot of dog owners who stayed here and if you have allergies then you may want to mention that at reservation as I'm not that sensitive, but was beginning to sense mine flare up whilst in the room.
Amenities : We only went to the pool once, even though this had been a priority for me on booking. Smaller than pictures. Changing area drab and needs swilling out more than it perhaps had. Pool temp, not the warmest. Showers, old
Restaurant and Food : Breakfast great, dinner great and sufficient. Staff friendly and helpful and the best thing about this establishment.
Overall....disappointed in everything except the staff... I feel let down. Instead of repainting the reception area and bar, which was happening whilst we were there...paint some rooms, freshen the decor, update update update

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank ascouse

Dear Alisonfay, thank you for your constructive comments and taking the time to write this review. I along with the team thank you for recognizing there approach to friendly service.
I am sorry your found certain aspects of your bedroom and hotel a little disappointing and we take these comments on board, you maybe interested to know all comments are reviewed by directors.
Best regards Nevil Jeffery

Reviewed 16 July 2009

Low Wood was classified as a 4* on the AA/ RAC. This certainly not a true reality of the hotel. In reality it should only be a 2*. I felt absolutely conned by the offer - the room I checked into the bath room was filled with mould and the bed was soggy. I am amazed how the management of the hotel group could get away with its 4* classifications and charges by even allowing such low standard of hygiene to be let out to guests. I was looking forward to pampering myself but it was all conned. For the price of 321 pounds for 4 nights - I am better off staying at the broadoaks country house up the hill. The service standard befitting of a 4* was non-existence! Definitely not recommended.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled solo
4  Thank PrincessLilyLondon

Dear PrincessLilyLondon. Firstly, I would like to take this opportunity to apologise on behalf of the team at the hotel for the hotel not meeting with your expectations on this occasion. I am pleased we have been able to discuss your comments in more detail and I am only sorry as discussed you only made us aware of these issues on day three of your stay.

I am pleased we have reach a compromise and I will have the opportunity of welcoming you back in the near future, kind regards Nevil

Reviewed 5 July 2009

I have stayed at the Low Wood on several occasions, both with my young children and on a relaxing get away with my husband and I have never been disappointed. When travelling with children, especially babies, the hotel was wonderful. The staff were extremely accomodating and thought nothing of warming and bringing a bottle of baby milk up to my room in the middle of the night. The pool is also great for children, the lounge has a range of games and some books and the bistro is great for really relaxed dining. The staff are also very welcoming towards children and genuinely appear to like having them in the hotel (this is not always the case at other hotels that I have visited).

I will be returning again next month for a couple of nights, as the Low Wood make taking the kids away so easy.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank familytraveller16
GeneralManagerLWH, General Manager at Low Wood Bay Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2009

Dear frequent user, thank you for a rewarding review after your visit with the family. I read you are planning a return visit next month, please ensure you introduce yourself. kind regards Nevil Jeffery.