“Below standard rooms”

GreenLeadersGold level
North Yorkshire
“Below standard rooms”
Reviewed 4 April 2010

We recently decided to have a relaxing break in the Lakes after I had just had a baby on Christmas Eve. We had previously stayed in their sister hotel The Lancaster and thought it to be a lovely hotel and of a very good standard, so expectations for this hotel were high. All public areas were excellent and were definately of a 4 star standard. Unfortunately that could not be said for the rooms. We have 3 children so booked into a large family room which was on 2 floors. When we arrived the room was cold but upstairs was so hot the velux windows had to be opened this in turn made it colder downstairs were the children slept. (It was minus conditions at the time). On a night as the windows were open all we could here was the noise from the kitchens. The rooms decore was dated and grubby including the bathroom and evevn though clean it looked dirty. The rooms really let this hotel down and I would of rated them as that of a 2 star hotel. Unfortunately won't be staying at this hotel again unless the rooms are refurbished. Staff were excellent though.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank SaraBelle_10
MichelleCroukamp, Deputy Manager at Low Wood Bay Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 8 April 2010
Dear Guest, I would like to take this opportunity to congratulate you on the birth of your new baby and to thank you for the comments made on your recent review. It was gratifying to read that you found the staff excellent as well as the public areas of the hotel, both of which we are very proud of.

With reference to the décor we do have an ongoing refurbishment schedule in place which commences throughout the hotel this month, we have never experienced an issue with the heating in room 304 and in light of your review I will ensure this is looked into thoroughly. You may be interested to know that all Trip-advisor reviews are conveyed to the team and our directors.

I hope we do have the opportunity to welcome you and your family back to the hotel in the near future. Kind Regards, Michelle Croukamp, Deputy Manager.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (501)
  • Thai first
London
Reviewed 3 April 2010

I read reviews on this hotel, and like a couple of others, I began to think twice after I had booked it. I chose this hotel because of the location and the amenities it provided which lots of other hotels didn't. I needn't have worried as it was better than I'd hoped - it simply exceeded my expectations!

All the staff we spoke to very helpful and friendly. My partner is Coeliac so he can't eat wheat or gluten - and the staff noted this when we made reservations for dinner and they catered for his needs without being reminded. (so I had a very satisfied partner indeed)

The room was one of the best high lights to our stay. We booked a 'Featured double' - the bed was comfy and spacious. We fell fast asleep as soon as we hit the pillows, and you don't realise you're sharing a bed till you wake up for breakfast - the extra cost for the Featured Double was well worth it. I read a review that stated the beds were uncomfortable - it couldn't have been more the opposite (getting up for breakfast was particularly hard as you wanted to live in it!). The bathroom was plush with a bath that can fit 2 very comfortably.

I only have one criticism which was for cleanliness for the room; the wall behind the shower could've done with some Cif for the limescale that coloured the grouting (orangey), and a quick dusting over the TV, the stand and the mugs that were prepared for us to use. However we did arrive much earlier so they may have rushed this. I will admit that the room was so great that we overlooked these little things.

The leisure facilities were plentiful. There is a well equipped gym, a swimming pool (though the chlorine level is stronger than usual; so take goggles if you wish to do 'lengths'!) a sauna, steam room, an outdoor HOT TUB - even when it was raining we used it; it was sheer bliss!

The food on offer for the buffet style breakfast was so vast you fill yourself up till mid afternoon - I haven't seen such a great variety for breakfast in years. The dinner was lovely too, and the atmosphere was perfect for couples and families alike. I recommend to try the Duck Rilletes over red cabbage and do try the English Lakes ice cream whenever you can. The staff for breakfast and dinner were always looking after us without interrupting our meal. We noticed that every waiter/ress had seperate responsibilities they attended to; it's a tightly run ship, and it worked well.

Overall, the stay was fantastic, and I'm already looking forward to going back. If we could've, we would've stayed another night just to enjoy the hotel more.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank cokey55
Dear Guest, thank you so much for the fantastic review - I was delighted to read that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay. The company’s mission statement is to “Exceed our guest’s expectations” and I am glad from the review that you have posted that we did in fact achieve our objective.

We are always happy to read any reviews from our guests on trip advisor as feedback is essential be it positive or negative. I will pass on your comments to the team especially the Food and Beverage team who were able to assist your partner with their dietary requirements.

I am glad you enjoyed the leisure facilities the breakfast buffet and dinner menus. I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future for another enjoyable break. Once again thank you for your review. Kind Regards, Michelle Croukamp, Deputy Manager
England
Reviewed 12 March 2010

Stayed at The Low Wood in February for 70th Birthday treat with family consisting of 14, aged from 4 years to 78 years. All had a wonderful time, the staff could not have been more helpful and the food and accommodation was brilliant. In particular, the children's menu was exceptional, my grandson said it was the best fish pie in the world!
Can really recommend this hotel to anyone, nothing is too much trouble for the staff. The leisure facilities were exceptionally clean as indeed was the entire hotel.
We will be back!!

The Schofields

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with family
MichelleCroukamp, Deputy Manager at Low Wood Bay Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 21 March 2010
Dear Scofield family, Thank you for your review and the fantastic comments about the team here at the hotel, and the excellent service you received. I have passed on your comments to chef who is very pleased your Grandson enjoyed the fish pie so much! You may be interested to know that all Trip-advisor reviews are conveyed to the team and our directors. Thank you for sharing your comments with all trip advisor users. We hope you enjoyed your family celebrations. Kind Regards, Michelle Croukamp, Deputy Manager
Yorkshire
Reviewed 11 March 2010

We were welcomed to this beautiful hotel late friday evening by the reception staff. After given the key we were then escorted to our room, which we booked for a family of four, The room was amazing with a huge kingsize bed and two smaller beds for the kids. The room I have to say was extremely perfect clean fresh with lots of coffee tea milk hot chocolate biscuits and plenty of extra's..The kids were not forgotten as they were given two play packs to keep them both busy. We did not waist anytime and went straight to the Spa which was very relaxing and offered swimming pool indoor hot tub, outside hot tub along with roman bath which had warm shower, cold plunger, sauna and a steam room. I Particularly like the fact that there was no need for you to bring towels, as they give these out on the Spa reception, and when finished after each session you put them in the wash bin. The reception staff were very helpful in advising on local walk with children in mind and giving a map. The breakfast was fantastic and the variety was superb. The last day of our family trip was sat in the hot tub outside staring at the snowed top mountains of windermere which I dont think I will ever forget. As a family we have decided to make this hotel our Lake District Favourite.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled on business
Dear Guest, thank you so much for the fantastic review - I was delighted to read that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay and that the children enjoyed their Sams Club packs. I am glad you enjoyed the leisure facilities and the amazing view offered from the hot tub of the snow topped mountains, they are equally as breathtaking through out the year. I hope we will get the pleasure of welcoming you back to witness this. You may be interested to know that all Trip-advisor reviews are conveyed to the team and our directors. I look forward to welcoming you and your family back to The Low Wood Hotel in the near future. Kind Regards, Michelle Croukamp, Deputy Manager
Dorset
Reviewed 1 March 2010

We checked into Low Wood as the hotel I had booked for my husband's 40th birthday "relaxing week away" feel foul of the November floods last year and remains unopen. The hotel downstairs is modern, clean and more importantly run by superb staff - very wecoming, very accommodating, professional and friendly - in particular the bar, reception and restaurant staff.
The staff put a birthday card, balloon and chocolates in our room to greet us and wish my husband a happy borthday - very nice touch and much appreciated.
The bedrooms fall short in terms of decor and our room was quite dusty in places and hot water was a bit "hit & miss" - but the view, which I was keen on getting, was superb and was really what I wanted! Its funny how after a day or so we settled into the room and forgot to "see" the imperfections and I stopped looking at the dust!!! Perhaps a sign that I was relaxing!
The hotel has a "Spa" - which comprises of a pool, indoor and outdoor hot tubs, gym, sauna and steam room - all of which looked fab and we would have enjoyed so much more if they were not run pretty much like a public swimming baths - we accept that families and children should enjoy the facilities as much as anyone else - but we had no time at all using the facilites when it was easy to either swim or relax without being over run with children - and adults that largely didnt seem to care what the kids were up to! The changing rooms are poor and not as we would have expected for a 4 star hotel - and the staff here pretty much matched the rest of our impression of this part of the hotel.
That said, I cannot stress how impressed we were with the rest of the staff at Low Wood - they make everything else acceptable.
The hotel is not cheap - either to stay or eat/drink - you will need to budget for this if you are planning to stay in!
All in all - it delivered what we wanted - but largely because of the staff and the location rather than the room itself and the spa!!!!

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
GeneralManagerLWH, General Manager at Low Wood Bay Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 5 March 2010
Dear Guest Thanks so much for your rewarding and valued comments- I am delighted to read that you both thoroughly enjoyed your stay especially your husband, congratulations on your 40th celebration, I can confirm life begins at 40.

I read with disappointment, the dust issues in your room, the housekeeping team work hard, but obviously on this occasion we got it wrong, sorry. Please be assured the team do read all responses and I am positive this will be corrected today.

I will discuss with the leisure club manager, your comments relating to our Leisure Club. I can confirm children are not permitted after 8pm, giving adults the chance to enjoy the facilities in more relaxing times. I can confirm, work has and will continue on improving the facilities which also includes the changing rooms.

I will ensure, all team members read the rewarding comments you write on the hotel staff and levels of service you received, I thank you personally for illustrating our strongest assets, the staff. Once again, thank you and I hope to have the pleasure of your both returning in the near future, Nevil Jeffery.
Flyingchunk
Reviewed 27 February 2010

We visited the Low Wood Hotel to get away from it all after some bad news.

The reviews on here made me think twice to start with.

When we got there it was clear we chose the right place.

There was a slight hitch with the room we booked which they rectified quickly proffesionally and to more than our satisfaction. I would hoever reccomend the room at the front with the huge double doors. The view is fantastic.

The staff were ALL lovely without exception, and made an effort and had a personal touch.

The breakfast was lovely as was the dinner. The hotel is imacculate and well looked after.

Yes it's on a main road, but it;s not the end of the world. Some of the worlds best hotels are on a main road. Just ask for a room at the back if you don't want views.

Location is great to get anywhere.

The spa and pool are lovely and really nice and clean and well looked after.

I work in the travel industry, so can be quite critical (see my review of the Grand in Brighton!). But I can't reccomemd this hotel enough.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest Thanks so much for your rewarding review.

I must make comment, firstly, when looking at trip-advisor reviews, please if you are reading this; select the venue and list in date order. Doing this you will see we have made significant changes to the hotel and its facilities and travelers and visits make comments on this. Presently we are running at 88% for satisfaction 2010, and last year we maintained for the 12 month period 84% an improvement of the 73% recorded by trip advisor in 2008. It’s a shame it takes 5 positive responses to increase the displayed 63% and only one bad to decrease trip advisors scoring, it’s a shame the scoring is not made on the last 18 months rather than the last 6 years, when we have made significant investment and improved services. Sorry you only commented “made me think twice”.

Overall you enjoyed your stay and I am pleased the staff as always made your stay even more enjoyable. We have worked hard over the past 12 months to improve breakfast, especially when it comes to quality of the raw products through to consistent preparation. We are presently also pleased with the response and feed back on the new greatly enhanced dinner menu, offering a wide selection with locally sourced products, which may cost that little bit more, but we can’t compromise on quality.

Thank you for understanding, yes there is a main road, the only road through Cumbria, excluding the M6. However this road was voted best road in England to drive, and Clarkson always gets it right.

Again thank you for your constructive comments, sorry I waffled on at the start, but hopefully you and fellow readers understand we have and are investing, it’s a shame the system dictates a lower rating, well six years history, lots do change for the better.
Kind regards Nevil Jeffery.
Newcastle
Reviewed 9 February 2010

We chose Low Wood for a few-day break after viewing the Hotel's web site and comparing it with two other Hotel web sites (one of which was a personal recommendation). Our choice was based on the photographs which showed a modern, chic hotel, while the others seemed a little old fashioned, as well as the fact that there were leisure facilities.

We would entirely agree with the other reviewers who have praised the staff for their friendliness and helpfulness. Philippe and his fellow dining staff were delightful and are a wonderful asset to the hotel, as are the reception and bar staff. We can't praise them too highly.

We ate at the hotel each night and the food was great. Perhaps, if we'd been there any longer we would have been a little bored with the selection, as there is no 'chef's special' or equivalent to help ring the changes. Having said that, the selection is broad and varied, and we thoroughly enjoyed every meal.

But, what's with the decor? Shabby, tired pieces of furniture sit sadly on landings or in alcoves along corridors. Disjointed carpet designs - with exposed threads, cheap-looking timber signage, the MFI serving tables in the dining room, which looked particularly out of place, scuffed furniture in the bedrooms and endless lemon coloured corridors.

In my opinion, an overhaul of the decor for the entire hotel is long overdue and would go a long way to enhance the quality of service offered - and perhaps justify the four stars and £183.00 per night charge, as advertised here!

We're in two minds about whether we would return to Low Wood; it's a good location for seeing the Lake District but we would look elsewhere first to try and get better value for money. Perhaps, we'll keep an eye out for any deals being offered and take it from there!

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mitcher56
MichelleCroukamp, Deputy Manager at Low Wood Bay Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 10 February 2010
Dear Guest, I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for the comments made on your recent review. It was gratifying to read that you found the staff friendly and helpful. The dinner menu was infact changed at the beginning of this week to include more variety and chef specials, which I hope you will enjoy should you visit us again. With reference to the décor we do have an ongoing refurbishment schedule in place; however some of the furniture in the corridors is Antique and has been at the hotel for a length of time. I hope we do have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future. Kind Regards, Michelle Croukamp, Deputy Manager.