“A much overpriced and overrated hotel”

Low Wood Bay Resort & Spa
Ranked #12 of 20 Hotels in Windermere
GreenLeadersGold level
Lancashire
“A much overpriced and overrated hotel”
Reviewed 4 May 2010

We stayed here for a friends wedding. The B&B price was high, but the hotel was the wedding venue, so we didn't shop around. It's in a beautiful spot; right on the shore of Windermere. I've no idea how this gets 4 stars. The rooms are like an average 3 star lodge - cramped, badly laid out, jaded and with a pretty uncomfortable bed. The walk from reception to the room was so long and tricky that I really could have done with a map. The staff were disinterested - the bar charges were so high that you'd have thought a bottle of rose may have come with an ice bucket, but no! Breakfast was like a world war II battle scene. The staff couldn't care less and the choice was just passable. This place seems to rely on the foreign tourists being brought by coach and it has an air of complacency.

1 Thank handif
GeneralManagerLWH, General Manager at Low Wood Bay Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 20 May 2010
Dear guest, thank you for taking the time to post this review, I am very sorry we did not have the opportunity of discussing the above in person during your stay. We have a senior duty manager on duty 24 hours a day and they along with myself are more than happy to resolve issues or indeed offer advise on local attractions. I can but only apologise on this occasion if we did not meet up to your expectations when it comes to room standards. On an annual audit the AA review all aspect of the operation and reward the Low Wood Hotel with 4 star status, these visits are completely unannounced.

I am concerned greatly by the comment relating to staff attitude, we pride ourselves on be a friendly team, I am sorry you experienced the shortfalls in service and staff attitude. I would welcome the chance of discussing this matter in more detail. Please do not hesitate in contacting the hotel direct and ask for Nevil Jeffery.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (500)
  • Thai first
Godalming, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 April 2010

We called on this hotel without a reservation and were offerred a lakeside view room for £98. The room was very comfortable with excellent bed. The only downside of the lakeside room was that it was also on the road and the traffic was a bit noisy.
The food in the restaurant was really excellent and the staff pleasant polite and helpful. Really good leisure centre with pool, spa etc

1 Thank chartseven
MichelleCroukamp, Deputy Manager at Low Wood Bay Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 30 April 2010
Dear Guest, thank you for a rewarding review especially regarding the helpfulness of our team, the food in the restaurant and the leisure club. You may be interested to know that all Trip-advisor reviews are conveyed to the team and our directors. Thank you for sharing your comments with all trip advisor users. We look forward to seeing you again in the future. Kind Regards, Michelle Croukamp, Deputy Manager
South Shields, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 April 2010

Stayed for 2 nights during the Easter holidays. Booked day before we left and website said the price was at a discount, when we got there we found it was just normal rate but it was a reasonable rate for 2 plus 5 year old. The room we were in was a bit in need of an update but was clean and comfortable. We booked this hotel as it had leisure facilities and we were impressed with them even though we picked a very busy time to go. The outdoor hot tub was great! Breakfast was plentiful and varied, everything you could ask for was there. The staff were helpful and friendly especially Billy on reception who quickly dealt with a couple of queries we had. Overall we enjoyed our stay and will book again for a short break.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with family
Dear Guest, thank you for your recent review. I thank you for your comments regarding the leisure facilities, staff and the breakfast in the Windermere Restaurant, and although the room you stayed in was in need of an update we appreciate your comments that is was clean and comfortable, we do take on board all feedback and having looked into your reservation details I can confirm that the room you recently stayed in is booked in for a refurbishment.

You may also be interested to know that all Trip-advisor reviews are conveyed to the team and our directors. Thank you once again for taking the time to share your experience and we look forward to seeing you again in the future Kind Regards, Michelle Croukamp, Deputy Manager
South Shields
Reviewed 9 April 2010

We have driven passed this hotel many times on our trips to the Lakes, and always fancied staying there. What a disappointment. I would rate Low Wood as an average 3 star Hotel.
Our room was tired and dated, little better than a good travel lodge.

The leisure centre is also very dated and a little bit grubby in places.

Certainly wont be staying again.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank JohnandSharon62
MichelleCroukamp, Deputy Manager at Low Wood Bay Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 12 April 2010
Dear Guest,
I was very sorry to read that you did not enjoy your recent stay with us here at the Low Wood Hotel. Customer feedback is very important to us and your points will be discussed and actioned by myself and the team.

The team at the hotel are very proactive in dealing with the few complaints that we receive, I am sorry you did not bring your concerns to our attention sooner I am sure that we would have been able to rectify them if we were given the opportunity.

Kind Regards Michelle Croukamp, Deputy Manager.
North Yorkshire
Reviewed 4 April 2010

We recently decided to have a relaxing break in the Lakes after I had just had a baby on Christmas Eve. We had previously stayed in their sister hotel The Lancaster and thought it to be a lovely hotel and of a very good standard, so expectations for this hotel were high. All public areas were excellent and were definately of a 4 star standard. Unfortunately that could not be said for the rooms. We have 3 children so booked into a large family room which was on 2 floors. When we arrived the room was cold but upstairs was so hot the velux windows had to be opened this in turn made it colder downstairs were the children slept. (It was minus conditions at the time). On a night as the windows were open all we could here was the noise from the kitchens. The rooms decore was dated and grubby including the bathroom and evevn though clean it looked dirty. The rooms really let this hotel down and I would of rated them as that of a 2 star hotel. Unfortunately won't be staying at this hotel again unless the rooms are refurbished. Staff were excellent though.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank SaraBelle_10
MichelleCroukamp, Deputy Manager at Low Wood Bay Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 8 April 2010
Dear Guest, I would like to take this opportunity to congratulate you on the birth of your new baby and to thank you for the comments made on your recent review. It was gratifying to read that you found the staff excellent as well as the public areas of the hotel, both of which we are very proud of.

With reference to the décor we do have an ongoing refurbishment schedule in place which commences throughout the hotel this month, we have never experienced an issue with the heating in room 304 and in light of your review I will ensure this is looked into thoroughly. You may be interested to know that all Trip-advisor reviews are conveyed to the team and our directors.

I hope we do have the opportunity to welcome you and your family back to the hotel in the near future. Kind Regards, Michelle Croukamp, Deputy Manager.
London
Reviewed 3 April 2010

I read reviews on this hotel, and like a couple of others, I began to think twice after I had booked it. I chose this hotel because of the location and the amenities it provided which lots of other hotels didn't. I needn't have worried as it was better than I'd hoped - it simply exceeded my expectations!

All the staff we spoke to very helpful and friendly. My partner is Coeliac so he can't eat wheat or gluten - and the staff noted this when we made reservations for dinner and they catered for his needs without being reminded. (so I had a very satisfied partner indeed)

The room was one of the best high lights to our stay. We booked a 'Featured double' - the bed was comfy and spacious. We fell fast asleep as soon as we hit the pillows, and you don't realise you're sharing a bed till you wake up for breakfast - the extra cost for the Featured Double was well worth it. I read a review that stated the beds were uncomfortable - it couldn't have been more the opposite (getting up for breakfast was particularly hard as you wanted to live in it!). The bathroom was plush with a bath that can fit 2 very comfortably.

I only have one criticism which was for cleanliness for the room; the wall behind the shower could've done with some Cif for the limescale that coloured the grouting (orangey), and a quick dusting over the TV, the stand and the mugs that were prepared for us to use. However we did arrive much earlier so they may have rushed this. I will admit that the room was so great that we overlooked these little things.

The leisure facilities were plentiful. There is a well equipped gym, a swimming pool (though the chlorine level is stronger than usual; so take goggles if you wish to do 'lengths'!) a sauna, steam room, an outdoor HOT TUB - even when it was raining we used it; it was sheer bliss!

The food on offer for the buffet style breakfast was so vast you fill yourself up till mid afternoon - I haven't seen such a great variety for breakfast in years. The dinner was lovely too, and the atmosphere was perfect for couples and families alike. I recommend to try the Duck Rilletes over red cabbage and do try the English Lakes ice cream whenever you can. The staff for breakfast and dinner were always looking after us without interrupting our meal. We noticed that every waiter/ress had seperate responsibilities they attended to; it's a tightly run ship, and it worked well.

Overall, the stay was fantastic, and I'm already looking forward to going back. If we could've, we would've stayed another night just to enjoy the hotel more.

1 Thank cokey55
Dear Guest, thank you so much for the fantastic review - I was delighted to read that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay. The company’s mission statement is to “Exceed our guest’s expectations” and I am glad from the review that you have posted that we did in fact achieve our objective.

We are always happy to read any reviews from our guests on trip advisor as feedback is essential be it positive or negative. I will pass on your comments to the team especially the Food and Beverage team who were able to assist your partner with their dietary requirements.

I am glad you enjoyed the leisure facilities the breakfast buffet and dinner menus. I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future for another enjoyable break. Once again thank you for your review. Kind Regards, Michelle Croukamp, Deputy Manager
England
Reviewed 12 March 2010

Stayed at The Low Wood in February for 70th Birthday treat with family consisting of 14, aged from 4 years to 78 years. All had a wonderful time, the staff could not have been more helpful and the food and accommodation was brilliant. In particular, the children's menu was exceptional, my grandson said it was the best fish pie in the world!
Can really recommend this hotel to anyone, nothing is too much trouble for the staff. The leisure facilities were exceptionally clean as indeed was the entire hotel.
We will be back!!

The Schofields

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with family
MichelleCroukamp, Deputy Manager at Low Wood Bay Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 21 March 2010
Dear Scofield family, Thank you for your review and the fantastic comments about the team here at the hotel, and the excellent service you received. I have passed on your comments to chef who is very pleased your Grandson enjoyed the fish pie so much! You may be interested to know that all Trip-advisor reviews are conveyed to the team and our directors. Thank you for sharing your comments with all trip advisor users. We hope you enjoyed your family celebrations. Kind Regards, Michelle Croukamp, Deputy Manager