“1st class hotel”

GreenLeadersGold level
Huddersfield
“1st class hotel”
Reviewed 5 September 2010

Just spent a lovely weekend at Low Wood. Easy to book, fantastic helpful reception staff. We were given a superb room over looking Lake Winderemere. The bed was huge and comfortable on a quiet corridor in the leisure centre building.
The gym is well equipped and wasn't busy - plenty of room unlike a lot of hotel gyms.
We had a delicious meal in the hotel bar - the bar staff were attentive and friendly.
A great way to end the evening is with a walk along the marina - walk to the end of the jetty and watch the bats fly round and enjoy the moon light on the lake.
As with all the food at the hotel breakfast was tasty and plentiful.
Reasonable check out time - 11am unlike most hotels who want you out as soon as you've had breakfast. We were able to sit in the bar and read the papers with a cup of coffee before we walked into Ambleside for a stroll around the shops.
Highly recommended - as are all the hotels owned by this company.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
MichelleCroukamp, Deputy Manager at Low Wood Bay Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 20 September 2010
Dear Guest, thank you for your fantastic comments about hotel, It is great to hear that you enjoyed your stay and found the room, the view the staff and the food all 1st Class! I will pass on your comments to the Leisure Club Manager who will be happy to here that you enjoyed and made the most of the gym onsite.
You may be interested to know that all Trip-advisor reviews are conveyed to the team and our directors. Thank you for sharing your comments with all trip advisor users. We look forward to seeing you again in the future Kind Regards, Michelle Croukamp, Deputy Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (507)
  • Thai first
Warwickshire
Reviewed 4 September 2010

Booked for a 'luxury stay with fine dining, good wine & an overall pampering experience' as a last night stop on the way back from a holiday in Scotland.

On a positive: 1) the bed for myself & husband was amazing-massive & very comfortable 2) the towels were luxurious 3) the toiletries were very good 4) the breakfast selection was excellent

On a negative: 1) the room was deemed by the hotel as suitable for 3 adults (myself, husband & 16 yr old). However, the 3rd bed was a put-u-up & definitely not suitable for a 6 foot teenager ! As we were only stopping for 1 night my husband didn't consider it appropriate to complain, so our son slept on the mattress on the floor-not very comfy!
2) on arrival we booked a table in the restaurant for that evening-but it transpired that the table was at the back of the restaurant amongst a coach party & a large 'all male' group-making for a very noisy dining experience. To give staff their due, they did try to find an alternative table, but they had all been allocated. We therefore opted to eat in the Bistro - different menu & low cafe style tables (not a bit like the 'pampering' three course meal we had envisaged).
3) at breakfast I requested tea, only to be brought a jug of water & told teabags were in the tin on the table. I asked the waiter if I could change my mind & have coffee (which I'm not keen on) & explained that I'd expected the tea to come in a pot - snobbish/petty maybe, but this was the pamper part of my holiday! I was therefore very disappointed to discover on leaving the restaurant that tea can be provided in teapots on request - why couldn't the waiter have told me that !

Overall this is quite an expensive hotel & whilst I think our stay could potentially have been worth the money & therefore have warranted further visits, for us the negatives resulted in us losing the 'luxury experience' that we felt we had paid for.

Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
Dear Guest, Firstly I would like to thank you for your lovely comments regarding the room and its bed, toiletries and towels as well as the pleasing comments regarding the breakfast selection in the Windermere Restaurant. I was however very sorry to read that you did not enjoy other elements of your recent stay with us.
Guest feedback is very important to us and your points will be discussed and actioned by myself and the team. The team at the hotel are very proactive in dealing with the few complaints that we receive, I hope you will give us the opportunity in the near future to demonstrate these issues do not often occur. Kind Regards Michelle Croukamp, Deputy Manager.
Lancaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 August 2010

I arrived for a two day break with myself and two children. i wanted to give them a great time as there are only the three of us. i booked water skiing through the hotel ,which they enjoyed very much. I booked online and had no idea that the childrens meals would cost soooooo much . i was not informed that the children would cost more than me ! I am a member of the sand piper club and they told me it would be a good deal ! . it is a fabulous hotel but would like to have been told of the added costs. and a dog yapped all night in the room opposite ! we were awake throughout the nights stayed .

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank murph4743
MichelleCroukamp, Deputy Manager at Low Wood Bay Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 6 September 2010
Dear Murph4743, I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for the comments made on your recent review, I am pleased to read that you and your children enjoyed the waterskiing at the Marina – hoped I help by the fantastic weather we have been able to enjoy. I am sorry that you felt the children’s meals were too expensive, after reviewing your reservation and billing details I noted that one of your children ate form the adult A La Carte menu which would be billed the same as an adult meal – your other child did eat from the Sams Club menu (aimed at children up to the age of 12) which is significantly more reduce in price.

I hope this doesn’t deter you from visiting the hotel again in the near future and I am pleased overall that you enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon. Kind Regards, Michelle Croukamp, Deputy Manager.
wales
Reviewed 27 August 2010

When I got to the hotel i got shown 2rooms to choose from and the service was efficent... The price was right and we were well looked after.... The bed was so comfortable I wanted to take it home... The decor is so unusual and the feeling in the hotel was relaxing.... I couldnt of asked for more at breakfast cooked beautifully.... I would stay again and would also like to try the other hotels in this chain.....x

• Stayed August 2010, travelled on business
Dear Guest, thank you for such a rewarding review. You may be interested to know that all Trip-advisor reviews are conveyed to the team and our directors. Thank you for sharing your comments with all trip advisor users. We look forward to seeing you again in the future. Kind Regards, Michelle Croukamp, Deputy Manager
Lancaster, England
Reviewed 27 August 2010

After having spent several months looking for the perfect wedding venue in and around the Lakes and Lancaster/Morecambe areas, we finally found it in the Low Wood Hotel.

We were bowled over by the stunning views of Lake Windermere and the modern and classy appearance of the hotel itself. Ideal for photographs which last a lifetime! And whilst we chose a small ceremony room overlooking the lake, there are quite a few to choose from - all unique and able to cater for different sizes of weddings.

From the early stages right through until the day itself, Rea (the wedding co-ordinator) was absolutely fantastic ! She, and the rest of the staff, were always extremely professional, friendly and helpful. Her responses to my countless emails were always quick and offered suggestions, ideas and solutions to problems. The hotel were pretty flexible in their approach and enabled us to customise and tailor the service to our own needs and wants. Dawid, the Master of Ceremonies was brilliant also - again very friendly and professional and helped the day run smoothly.

The food was incredible and guests have been commenting on its quality ever since. Compliments to the chef!

Value for money? Absolutely! The venue was more expensive than other hotels we had looked at but was worth every penny for the beautiful location and flawless service. There was lots included in the package including complimentary night stays, 6 weeks free use of the gym, flowers for the tables and additional extras like the lovely champagne flutes and balloon in our found in our hotel room on the night of the wedding.

And on that note, the hotel room itself was great. I can't remember whether it was a bridal suite or family room but, either way, it was large and so comfortable and clean.

Once you get mentioning the Low Wood, you begin to realise just how well-known it is. Quite a few people I have spoken to have attended weddings or holidays at the Low Wood before and have recalled excellent experiences there.

So... if you're looking for the perfect wedding venue? Look no further! We highly recommend the Low Wood Hotel!!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank LouHolroyd
Dear Louise, thank you for your review and the fantastic comments about the hotel and the team. It was a pleasure to host your wedding and welcome your family and friends to
enjoy with you your special day. I will pass on your comments to Gemma our Wedding Coordinator, we do pride ourselves on our team and comments such as yours are greatly appreciated. I know both Dawid and Rea will be happy to hear that you enjoyed your special day so much.
You may also be interested to know that all Trip-advisor reviews are conveyed to our directors. Thank you for sharing your comments with all trip advisor users. We very much look forward to welcoming you both back to the hotel to enjoy your first wedding anniversary in 2011. Once again congratulations. Kind Regards, Michelle Croukamp, Deputy Manager
Mumbai
Reviewed 25 August 2010

The Low Wood hotel at Windermere has an excellent location. It is right on the lake. And we had a lake view room which really made our stay memorable. But the lake cannot be viewed from all the rooms. Also, I must mention here that the front desk staff was extremely helpful. They helped us plan our ongoing trip to Coventry. Had it not been for them, we would have found it very difficult to book our train tickets. So kudos to the staff!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
GeneralManagerLWH, General Manager at Low Wood Bay Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 27 August 2010
Dear CameliaMumbai, thank you for taking the time to post your review after your visit to the Low Wood Hotel.

I am very impressed by your 17 world wide reviews; this makes your comments even more rewarding. You have stayed at some fabulous hotels and in all cases given a true reflection on service and hotel facilities, you are a true trip-advisor writer, and with such I thank you for your scores.

Thank you for mentioning our reception team, who assisted you in gaining information on train time tables and indeed helped in booking you travelling arrangements.

You maybe interested to know, we review all trip-advisor reviews and I will ensure your comments are passed onto the reception team, they will find this rewarding.

Again thank you for the review, and we hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you in the near future again.

Nevil Jeffery
Worcester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 August 2010

After booking this hotel I was a little worried after reading some of the reviews, there was no need it was wonderful. On arrival we checked in and were given directions to our room by a very friendly receptionist who was very polite and helpful asking if we would like help with our luggage. When we got to our room it was lovely a special little bed with sams club quilt cover for our little boy as well as a cuddly dog for him to look after during our stay and a bag full of goodies (pencils activities sheets,etc). We used the swimming pool twice a day which was great lovely and clean, also the hot tub was fantastic. Breakfast was extremely good everything was there you could possibly want. We used the hotel cafe del lago for an evening meal twice (this was cheaper than using the hotels main Windermere restaurant which was a little expensive but probably very good!!!) the food was great children were very well catered for and made to feel very welcome. I have never stayed in such a lovely hotel that was so friendly towards the children nothing was to much trouble for any of the staff. Would love to stay at this hotel again and will definately be recommending it to my friends and family.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
GeneralManagerLWH, General Manager at Low Wood Bay Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 24 August 2010
Dear Bish56, thank you for taking the time and effort to write a review on trip-advisor.

I am pleased you enjoyed your family break with us and you found the staff friendly and polite. I read your son enjoyed sleeping in his special Sams duvet and especially liked our children welcome pack.

Our children’s menu “Sams treats” is available within both restaurants and I am pleased you enjoyed the casual dining that Café del Lago has to offer. Again I am please your needs had been catered for and all staff made you and your family welcome.

Again thank you and we all look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.

Nevil Jeffery