“Lovely Hotel”

GreenLeadersGold level
Wirral, United Kingdom
“Lovely Hotel”
Reviewed 22 September 2010

We stayed here for one night and I have to say it was lovely. We got there early before 12noon and was able to check in, we had a nice room overlooking the front. Great facilities and a beautiful resturant where the food is fab.
Quite a busy main road right outside the front which can be a little tricky to cross in the height of the season.
The only down side if you like your tv they don't have sky tv and if it's warm like it was there is only a fan to cool you down, but the views of the scenery and the overall hotel far make up for this. Definately stay here again.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
MichelleCroukamp, Deputy Manager at Low Wood Bay Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 30 September 2010
Dear Guest, thank you for such a rewarding review. You may be interested to know that all Trip-advisor reviews are conveyed to the team and our directors. Thank you for sharing your comments with all trip advisor users. We look forward to seeing you again soon. Kind Regards, Michelle Croukamp, Deputy Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (504)
  • Thai first
Derbyshire
Reviewed 20 September 2010

This is my first review, I am not a hotel snob by any means but like everyone like value for money and a nice clean hotel. We went away to the lakes for the first time looking for a romantic break and to do some Mountain Biking.

Positives - great hotel view,very friendly staff, swimming facilities and an out door hot tub, which is great after a day on the mountain bikes! Oh and a goo breakfast selection to suit everyone.

Negatives - with the great view comes a very busy road with fast traffic and over the weekend big tour buses with 120 odd travels booking in - so no lie in's!
Lots of coach trips & school trips, so very busy hotel and with the building being so old you can everything and i think they have a plumbing issue at the moment as when the person above goes to the toilet you feel like something is going to fall on your head.
We have been here 3 nights and haven't slept! The room we had no.20 was tiny far too small for two people, no room for cases not even a shelf for your wash-bag, so with wet biking gear it was a nightmare!

Its NOT a romantic hotel really - you are having your breakfast while 50 school kids are getting a telling off about not being in line - not what I want really want to hear. BUT the views and the staff are amazing!

I am going to try the Regent Hotel at ambleside next time- as it is the most BEAUTIFUL place in the world.

Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest, i would like to thank you for the comments made on trip advisor regarding the team and the leisure facilities, I was however very sorry to read that you did not enjoy your room on your recent stay with us here at Low Wood Bay.

Customer feedback is very important to us and your points will be discussed and actioned by myself and the team. The team at the hotel are very proactive in dealing with the few complaints that we receive, I am sorry you did not bring your concerns to our attention sooner I am sure that we would have been able to rectify them if we were given the opportunity. Kind Regards Michelle Croukamp, Deputy Manager.
Teesside
Reviewed 12 September 2010

Great hotel with fabulous views and friendly staff. Hotel is located off a main road and didnt hear any road noise. The leisure facilites are excellent and very clean.

Would definately recommend and hope to make a return visit soon.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
MichelleCroukamp, Deputy Manager at Low Wood Bay Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 20 September 2010
Dear Guest, thank you so much for the fantastic review - I was delighted to read that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay. You may be interested to know that all Trip-advisor reviews are conveyed to the team and our directors. I do hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to The Low Wood Hotel in the near future. Kind Regards, Michelle Croukamp, Deputy Manager
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 September 2010

Stayed two nights en route to Scotland, with two children under 10. Very impressed by the child-friendly nature of the hotel and with the staff, who were unfailingly helpful and pleasant. Had we been on our own, my husband and I would probably have chosen a smaller hotel away from the main route up Windermere, but the food was very very good for such a big establishment and the indoor pool a real winner with the children when it rained (it sometimes rains in the Lakes.....)

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
Dear Guest, thank you for your fantastic comments about hotel, I am pleased to read that your children enjoyed the hotel, I hope they made the most of Sam’s club and became members!
I am also glad you enjoyed the food at the hotel as well as the pool at the leisure club, as you say it does sometimes rain the in lakes….. and what better way to avoid it by visiting the leisure club.
You may be interested to know that all Trip-advisor reviews are conveyed to the team and our directors. Thank you for sharing your comments with all trip advisor users. We look forward to seeing you again in the future Kind Regards, Michelle Croukamp, Deputy Manager
Huddersfield
Reviewed 5 September 2010

Just spent a lovely weekend at Low Wood. Easy to book, fantastic helpful reception staff. We were given a superb room over looking Lake Winderemere. The bed was huge and comfortable on a quiet corridor in the leisure centre building.
The gym is well equipped and wasn't busy - plenty of room unlike a lot of hotel gyms.
We had a delicious meal in the hotel bar - the bar staff were attentive and friendly.
A great way to end the evening is with a walk along the marina - walk to the end of the jetty and watch the bats fly round and enjoy the moon light on the lake.
As with all the food at the hotel breakfast was tasty and plentiful.
Reasonable check out time - 11am unlike most hotels who want you out as soon as you've had breakfast. We were able to sit in the bar and read the papers with a cup of coffee before we walked into Ambleside for a stroll around the shops.
Highly recommended - as are all the hotels owned by this company.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest, thank you for your fantastic comments about hotel, It is great to hear that you enjoyed your stay and found the room, the view the staff and the food all 1st Class! I will pass on your comments to the Leisure Club Manager who will be happy to here that you enjoyed and made the most of the gym onsite.
Warwickshire
Reviewed 4 September 2010

Booked for a 'luxury stay with fine dining, good wine & an overall pampering experience' as a last night stop on the way back from a holiday in Scotland.

On a positive: 1) the bed for myself & husband was amazing-massive & very comfortable 2) the towels were luxurious 3) the toiletries were very good 4) the breakfast selection was excellent

On a negative: 1) the room was deemed by the hotel as suitable for 3 adults (myself, husband & 16 yr old). However, the 3rd bed was a put-u-up & definitely not suitable for a 6 foot teenager ! As we were only stopping for 1 night my husband didn't consider it appropriate to complain, so our son slept on the mattress on the floor-not very comfy!
2) on arrival we booked a table in the restaurant for that evening-but it transpired that the table was at the back of the restaurant amongst a coach party & a large 'all male' group-making for a very noisy dining experience. To give staff their due, they did try to find an alternative table, but they had all been allocated. We therefore opted to eat in the Bistro - different menu & low cafe style tables (not a bit like the 'pampering' three course meal we had envisaged).
3) at breakfast I requested tea, only to be brought a jug of water & told teabags were in the tin on the table. I asked the waiter if I could change my mind & have coffee (which I'm not keen on) & explained that I'd expected the tea to come in a pot - snobbish/petty maybe, but this was the pamper part of my holiday! I was therefore very disappointed to discover on leaving the restaurant that tea can be provided in teapots on request - why couldn't the waiter have told me that !

Overall this is quite an expensive hotel & whilst I think our stay could potentially have been worth the money & therefore have warranted further visits, for us the negatives resulted in us losing the 'luxury experience' that we felt we had paid for.

Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
Dear Guest, Firstly I would like to thank you for your lovely comments regarding the room and its bed, toiletries and towels as well as the pleasing comments regarding the breakfast selection in the Windermere Restaurant. I was however very sorry to read that you did not enjoy other elements of your recent stay with us.
Guest feedback is very important to us and your points will be discussed and actioned by myself and the team. The team at the hotel are very proactive in dealing with the few complaints that we receive, I hope you will give us the opportunity in the near future to demonstrate these issues do not often occur. Kind Regards Michelle Croukamp, Deputy Manager.
Lancaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 August 2010

I arrived for a two day break with myself and two children. i wanted to give them a great time as there are only the three of us. i booked water skiing through the hotel ,which they enjoyed very much. I booked online and had no idea that the childrens meals would cost soooooo much . i was not informed that the children would cost more than me ! I am a member of the sand piper club and they told me it would be a good deal ! . it is a fabulous hotel but would like to have been told of the added costs. and a dog yapped all night in the room opposite ! we were awake throughout the nights stayed .

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank murph4743
MichelleCroukamp, Deputy Manager at Low Wood Bay Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 6 September 2010
Dear Murph4743, I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for the comments made on your recent review, I am pleased to read that you and your children enjoyed the waterskiing at the Marina – hoped I help by the fantastic weather we have been able to enjoy. I am sorry that you felt the children’s meals were too expensive, after reviewing your reservation and billing details I noted that one of your children ate form the adult A La Carte menu which would be billed the same as an adult meal – your other child did eat from the Sams Club menu (aimed at children up to the age of 12) which is significantly more reduce in price.

I hope this doesn’t deter you from visiting the hotel again in the near future and I am pleased overall that you enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon. Kind Regards, Michelle Croukamp, Deputy Manager.