“Spectacular Views”
Review of Orrest Head

Orrest Head
Ranked #2 of 32 things to do in Windermere
Reviewed 23 April 2014

It's only a 20 minute walk to the top and is well worth the climb! The view is spectacular over Lake Windermere!!

Reviewed 21 April 2014

Defiantly worth a visit. Not that far from Windermere village and the views are fantastic. Whole walk took us around 1/2 hour to get to Orrest head, then we continued on to Ambleside for another hour. Paths are Tarmac so very easy to walk along, although fairly steep in places.

1  Thank sarah p
Reviewed 20 April 2014

We did this walk with our 7 and 4 year old and it was super. Easy to park in Windermere and to find the route. We went up the 'left side' through the woods and then back down the road which I think was best as it meant you didn't get the full view until you got to the top which made it extra special. A bit of a scramble in places and 4 year old had to be bribed with promise of flapjack at the top, but a spectacular view when you get there and enough of a 'proper' walk to make us glad to get our boots back on.

1  Thank Bryony77
Reviewed 19 April 2014

well marked paths quite steep in parts great views from the top there is parking in the town centre 2 hours free but limit to number of spaces.

Reviewed 17 April 2014

Twenty minutes walk from opposite the Nat West Bank and you are on the summit of Orrest Head. Orrest was a Viking warrior and allegedly a battle took place in this area over a thosand years ago and Orrest was the winner. 264 ms above sea level and on a clear day it affords some of the best views the Lake District can offer. 360 degrees of views. Believe me, I have been going up it for 40 years with a succession of dogs. My present one is Poppy, my Jack Russell, 9 years old. If you see me up there, speak to me. I would love to meet you.

1  Thank Nat997P