“Not 5 star disappointed”
Review of The Howbeck

The Howbeck
Ranked #12 of 109 Windermere B&B and Inns
“Not 5 star disappointed”
Reviewed 9 August 2014

Was very disappointed after seeing the photos and write up was excepting a boutique type hotel. It certainly isn't 5 star and feel we paid well over the top for a b&b. yes the staff are lovely and the breakfast was great but the rooms aren't amazing and not anything like normally used to when away. The spa was nice (about 20 mins walk) and really wished we had stayed there.

Room Tip: We stayed in deepdale, small room overlooking front of hotel, no bath not superior as description st...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kirky73

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (177)
Preston, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 July 2014

I have no hesitation in recommending the Howbeck. 5* accommodation, plus so much more, attention to detail in every aspect. The rooms are immaculate, tastefully designed and scrupulously clean. The Howbeck has a lovely atmosphere and the staff are friendly and professional. Breakfast was lovely, the food fresh &, locally sourced, catering to all. The location of the Howbeck is handy for all local amenities whilst escaping the noise, hustle and bustle of 'down town' Windermere. I look forward to our next stay and don't believe our experience could be bettered anywhere else. Thanks to all the hard working & conscientious staff who helped to made our stay so comfortable and relaxing. See you all soon! Sue Chester

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
UK
Reviewed 31 July 2014

Let’s be frank, the pictures look great and give the promise of a grand swanky boutique hotel. Well they got us too. We went for a few nights at Lake Windermere and the hotel was a let down. What gets us more is that we paid extra for the luxury room and feel robbed, it’s not worth any extra £££.

I almost never wrote this review but we met two other couples who had stayed at the hotel and shared the same view – they all wished somebody had taken the time to write an honest review so here it is... I hope the team at The Howbeck take it onboard this time.

We drove on looking for a large hotel, blinked, missed it and had to drive back to the big guest house signposted The Howbeck. Parking was tight but sufficient.

On arrival the clerk didn’t offer to assist with my 32 week pregnant wifes’ luggage so I made two trips up and down the stairs; we weren’t off to a great start. The entrance however was clean and smelt great, the theme sadly didn’t continue throughout.

Our room was long and narrow, the bed seemed smaller than a standard double. The supposed luxury (paid extra for) 4 poster bed was very cheap, I have seen far superior table legs not to mention they obscured the view of the 19 inch TV so only me or my wife could fully see the TV at a time from the bed.

The TV was wall mounted, albeit at slant to make viewing more interesting I presume as there are limited channels and no DVD player. I was glad however as I picked a hotel with free wifi. The wifi is indeed free however please note you will not get reception from the bedrooms, only from near reception which was exceptionally poor. This rendered my iPad and catch up TV programs useless for the rest of the trip.

The bedroom had a kettle, tea/coffee and a free biscuit with complimentary water. It also came with complimentary dirty skirting boards (coffee or coke I think it was), trailing wires, mouldy window sealant, stained carpets and lack of storage space. We had to ask for the rusty iron and stained ironing board but the staff gladly obliged provided this to our door. We did also get free surround sound from the guy in the next room emptying his bowels as the walls are quite thin.

The bathroom was exciting, we paid extra for a spa type bath. It took around 20 minutes to fill the spa, turn on the power and hey presto like magic floaters appeared. The jets chucked out limescale which settled at the bottom of the tub, disgusting. I didn’t use this in the end as it truly put me off from having a soak. If the hotel wasn’t fully booked I would have requested another room at this point. I would say I was getting heated but I couldn’t afford to due to lack of air conditioning in these rooms.

In terms of bathroom supplies, again very limited. Toilet paper, soap and shampoo dispensed from the wall. None of those nice smelling lotions and potions we expected from a boutique hotel, just plain and simple soap, the type that smells like a dental practice for hours after application, lovely. Did I mention the bath panel was cracked and the floor was stained/faded? You can see the pictures I have uploaded, I cannot believe they would put a paying guest into a room in this condition.

Breakfast, well what can I say? Fantastic. No really it was very good, the highlight of the stay, we both loved it. Space was a bit tight but comfortable, so well done The Howbeck on breakfast.

On departure I raised my issues with the receptionist and received a sincere apology. It felt heartfelt but there was no reassurance the issues would be resolved so I contacted management. This was a farce to be honest.

Ending on some positives, a big thank you to the staff (apart from the luggage incident), they really were very accommodating, helpful and pleasant. Most definitely the hotels biggest asset. The pool and spa were good but belong to the MacDonald Hotel which is a 5 minute drive away.

I shared my experience with the Manager who acknowledged my complaint then went off the radar. Almost two weeks later I had to chase him for a response. Now one month later we have finally concluded the matter.

At one point the hotel asked me to provide all details of my bank card over email including my authorisation code from the back of the card - sorry but this is plain incompetence, anybody with common sense knows that yahoo mail is not a secure medium for sending financial information.

This was certainly one of the poorer experiences of customer service I have received and again contributes to why this review has been written. Put your trust in these reviews and learn from other peoples misfortunes!

Room Tip: Wifi does not extend to all the hotel, just within 5 meters of reception
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Lads-nite-out
Staffordshire
Reviewed 31 July 2014

Excellent service, beautiful rooms, exceptional food and staff that go the extra mile from start to finish over every small detail. A pleasure to stay in and a perfect place for our Anniversary. A small slice of heaven, in a beautiful part of England.

• Stayed July 2014
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 July 2014

I booked this weekend for myself and my partner in June 14 as a Living Social deal. The B&B was lovely however as I had spent a lot of money buying into a 5* break I thought that there could have been finer detail made to the stay. The rose petals were not real, there was white wine in the room on arrival (a choice would have been nice, or even a nice wine) and the room was very small (The Lowthwaite), not at all like the picture appeared on the website. It was also directly at the end of the hall at reception, through the wall from the laundry and next door to a public toilet! We could hear straight through the door into the hall. Probably better to request another room before you book. These are, however, personal opinions and overall the stay was okay. The B&B was lovely and clean. We enjoyed a meal on the first night and the local area was on the doorstep. A two minute walk to the right of the B&B leads you to the village with small pubs and some restaurants. A 10-15 minute walk to the left takes you to Bowness-on-Windermere, This was a lovely, touristy, and quaint area with quirky shops and an array of eateries for a variety of appetites. I think next time I would opt for a hotel closer to Bowness-on-Windermere,

Room Tip: Please avoid the Lowthwaite Room. It was directly at the end of the hall at reception, through the w...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank duty_free_13
Reviewed 25 July 2014 via mobile

Hotel was convo entry positioned less than 5 minutes walk to Windermere village and a good 15 minutes walk to the lake. Breakfast was preordered and was tasty. The room had a very cosy four poster bed, fantastic sized jet bath tub, the room was a medium size which was more than enough for a couple. Staff were very friendly and extremely helpful to offer advise on the local area.

• Stayed July 2014
Reviewed 23 July 2014

My husband and I had a fantastic "mini-moon" in the Lake District after a whirlwind 7 months of wedding planning. The staff at Howbeck are wonderful and no request was too much for them.

We did think the room was pretty small when we first arrived, but soon relaxed into it and found it to be very comfortable. The jacuzzi bath was wonderful and we made good use of it :)

It was very warm while we were in the Lake District so it would've been nice to have a fan or something to cool us down at night.

Room Tip: We stayed in "Meregill" on the 1st floor. Overlooks the car park - which we preferred as i...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple