“Another excellent stay !!!”

The Glenburn Hotel & Restaurant
Ranked #14 of 20 Hotels in Windermere
Sunderland
“Another excellent stay !!!”
Reviewed 7 January 2012

After our second stay at The Glenburn Hotel over the christmas period I have one word to sum up our stay 'EXCELLENT'. Peter and Jackie the owners and there staff made us feel very welcome and we had a wonderful christmas break. We ate in the restaurant 3 nights and the food was out of this world. The room was decorated to high standards and the room was serviced each morning and very clean. Breakfast had plenty variety my husband stuck with the full english breakfast which he said was excellent. Included in our stay was a lake cruise, wine, chocolates, mince pies and mulled wine on arrival it was all very nice and nothing was ever a bother if you needed anything else. I think the hotel is under rated at 2 stars as it is certainly more. Following our christmas day dinner the whole of the restaurant were so delighted with the effort the owners and staff had put in to make our day so special we invited them all to restaurant and we gave them a standing round of applause. Well done Peter and Jackie to you and your wonderful team we will not hestitate to return again and recommend you to all of our friends. P.S thanks again for the mince pies you gave us for my mum she loved them.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
glenglen, Owner at The Glenburn Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this review, 10 January 2012
Thank you for this nice review. So glad your mum liked the mince pies you will have to bring her with you sometime so we can share recipies. Thank you for the round of applause I was very touched and it was good to feel appreciated for the hard work. See you again soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
South East England
Reviewed 3 January 2012

Just returned from a New Years package deal at this hotel. We were really looking forward to it as we had friends of ours from Dublin coming also. I did my usual trip advisor research before hand and as far as I could see the hotel had good reviews - I was also impressed with their website and the virtual tour of all the rooms.

Well I can't tell you how disappointed I and everybody with me was when we arrived. The reception area leaves a lot to be desired - its a b&b and its shabby and in need of big refurbishment and updating. I had paid a deposit before hand otherwise I would have left immediately plus the receptionist was very keen to take full payment on arrival (Im not surprised) Please check my other reviews as I consider myself to be an honest reviewer and will give credit where credit is due.

Well we went to our rooms which were basic with tiny bathrooms - our room had hooks hanging off doors and there was a musty damp smell. Clearly the owners are not pushed to maintain things.

By the way I've looked at the other reviews of this 'hotel' and am amazed at how many are so good. I really can only put it down to the owners making up these reviews and who ever is doing the website, well they are excellent at portraying something that isn't true. Really the owners should be ashamed of themselves.

Anyway back to the room. The hairdryer blew up and the tv was tiny 15in (a pc monitor). There was no sky so another lie and the aerial kept falling out.

Now on to the food. It was all so AVERAGE I can't tell you. Breakfast was edible but you wouldn't indulge. Walking past the kitchen to the car park my partner saw into the kitchen and it was full of value products cheap but not so cheerful. No expense spared for New Years Eve meal either again all so Average. No atmosphere as they had dreadful depressing looped music i.e. 'Nobody's child'

I find it interesting that one of the owners 'Colin' has been mentioned so much in the reviews - he was never around only one evening when he returned from a pub.

The only positive thing I have to say about this hotel and its owners are the staff that they have employed. As you would expect friendly, hard working and polite Polish people. I just hope they are being paid fairly. These owners are no fools when it comes to pulling a fast one and as trade is so regular in the Lake district they are getting away with it.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank SorrentoSun
I would like to thank the guest for this review. May i firstly apologise because the kingsized bed was not big enough for you when you were shown to your room on arrival and that the bath sheets were also not big enough for you. I am disapointed that you felt that the hotel was shabby and in need of a refurbishment because it is far from being this and equally as nice as some 4 and 5* establishments in the area. You admit that you liked what you saw on our website and the virtual tour which would show you every aspect of the room which you booked. I spent quite a lot of time chatting with the guests and constanly asked if everthing was fine and not once were there any complaints. They loved my homemade scones, mince pies. I made phone calls for them even assisted in defrosting their cars for them so there was every opportunity to discuss anything they were not happy with. The owner is not called Colin his name is Peter and he was in the kitchen all night as kitchen porter washing up and we were both there along with my Polish staff (whom I treat very well and pay very well ) to wish guests a Happy New Year along with Jules Holland whom I don't think sang nobody's child.
The hairdryer is in perfect working order and we do not advertise anywhere that we have Sky television. Lastly I would like to point out that contrary to what these guests think we are not fools and we have to work very hard to keep standards high and the regular trade is no more in this economic climate but we love what we do and will continue to give a warm welcome to everyone.
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 December 2011

We stayed at the Glenburn for 7 nights over the Christmas holiday and cannot sing our praises high enough. The bedroom was the most comfortable one we have used for several years, nothing was too much of a problem for the staff, who went out of their way to make us feel 'at home'. The food was a delight, from the hugh choice of the breakfast menu to the evening meals at dinner, not one complaint. However the dinner served on Christmas day exceeded all our expectations, well worthy of a much higher star rating.
Peter & Jackie run a well organised establisment and the well trained staff were always available. We would recommend this 'little gem' to all of our friends.
Terry & Janet Jamieson

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
glenglen, Owner at The Glenburn Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this review, 11 January 2012
Thank you so much for your review. Sorry we did not have any snow for you to take nice photographs, it was rather mild and wet. I was very touched by your kind words on Xmas Night it was very much appreciated. Hope you come to stay at our little gem again soon. Best regards to Janet. Take care.
Uttoxeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 November 2011

this was our second stay at the glenburn hotel.all the staff were very helpful and friendly.the breakfasts were fabulous and fuelled us up for the day.the dinners were fantastic,with excellent service and a relaxed atmosphere.thanks again

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
glenglen, Owner at The Glenburn Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this review, 9 December 2011
Thank you for your lovely review. Hope to see you again in 2012.
Stafford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 November 2011

Stayed here for 2 nights in 1 of the four poster bedrooms on the 4th nov,brill hotel and room was fab,excellent staff and service was a credit to the owners,in amazing position right in between windermere and bowness,when we next visit this area we shall certinally stay at this hotel,

Room Tip: we had a beautifull four poster room the bed was the bestb we have had in any hotel,
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
glenglen, Owner at The Glenburn Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this review, 24 November 2011
Thank you for taking the time to write this review. Pleased you had a great stay with us. We look forward to your next visit at The Glenburn. Really appreciated. Reviews like this one help future visitors tremendously when they are searching for somewhere to stay in the Lake District.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 November 2011

stayed here for 2 nights 30th september. what a fab weekend we had the hotel service and food was excellent. it was dads 75th birthday treat whilst we were there and coudnt have wished for a nicer place to stay. would definately recomend and will return.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 November 2011

What an excellent find, been visiting the lake district for many years and have always tried somewhere different as there has allways been something not quite right, but at the Glenburn they seem to have ticked all the boxes from being shown too our room straight away (even though we arrived an hour before check in time) by a lovely friendly smiling member of staff (as are they all) The food at dinner and breakfast was excellent and a return visit for a longer stay is certainly in our plans.
Neil & Glenn

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
glenglen, Owner at The Glenburn Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this review, 5 November 2011
Very nice review thank you so much. Thank you also for your kind comments in the bar one evening it makes all the hard work worth while when guests appreciate the effort that goes into running a hotel. We look forward to seeing you again on your next visit.