“BEWARE! Serious cleanliness issues here.”

The Glenburn Hotel & Restaurant
Ranked #14 of 20 Hotels in Windermere
“BEWARE! Serious cleanliness issues here.”
Reviewed 18 May 2014

Booked a 2 night break in a double room ( room 3 ) with 4 poster bed and spa bath.
First night could not sleep due to noise from room above ours, creaking floorboards and a lack of sound insulation meant that a baby crying and the parents obviously trying to pacify it by walking around the room. Early next morning further disturbance from below our room, which turned out to be the hotel kitchen, very loud banging and singing coming through the floor.
The main problem surfaced on Saturday night when I used the spa bath with bubble bath in and went to bed afterwards as the soapy water was still draining from the bath.
What greeted me on Sunday morning was the bottom of the bath covered with a film of dirt, grime, hair and dead insects, which had obviously come from the jets of the spa bath the previous night.
I immediately brought his to the attention of the receptionist and asked for the manager or duty manager to be informed, only to be told that she would deal with it as the owner was cooking breakfasts.
She looked and apologised, until I insisted on the owner being called and inspecting the bath himself.
I had to wait around an hour, until the manager was free and when he eventually looked himself, agreed that this was not good and would offer me a discount. I made him aware that I thought there was potential health risks involved and he neither agreed or disagreed.
I received a minimal discount, even though we had no use of the shower or bath before checking out and our homeward journey was delayed by over an hour.
I was thoroughly appalled by the owners attitude to what was, in my opinion, a breach of health and safety regulations.

• Stayed May 2014
glenglen, Owner at The Glenburn Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this review, 20 May 2014
Oh dear think a little over reaction here... but I will answer this with pleasure as the guests informed me they were going to do this. Noise from other guests in the rooms is out of my control especially a baby crying during the night and noise from the kitchen definitely not as my husband was breakfast chef at the weekend and he does have consideration for the guests and definitely does not sing. My husband being chef explains why he could not come and deal with the problem straight away as he had another 30 guests waiting for breakfast. I believe the receptionist explained this politely. There was no hair dead insects or anything else of that description in the bath and I am VERY offended at this and I did photograph the bath as I was informed I would be having a visit from the H&S officer. There was a slight film of residue which was probably caused by the guest putting bubble bath in the tub when it is forbidden to do so and there are notices which state this. We have just received 5 stars for cleanliness at the Glenburn and we will not tolerate serious allegations like this. Being in hospitality for 30 years we know from the moment a guest arrives what lies ahead and 9 times out of 10 we are proved right.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 May 2014

from the moment we walked in we were looked after, our room was clean & tidy nicely decorated & well equiped. Breakfast was excellent with plenty of choice,we opted to eat in the restaurant & the food was cooked to perfection.The hotel is situated in an ideal spot for Windermere & Bowness. We had no idea what awaited us when we booked but we can honestly say ad a fab time.

Room Tip: im sure which ever room you are allocated you wont have a problem
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
glenglen, Owner at The Glenburn Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this review, 18 May 2014
Thank you for a great review. You seemed to have enjoyed your stay with us at The Glenburn. It is great to get away and just chill out and enjoy time away from everyday life. Thank you hope to see you again.
West Yorkshire
Reviewed 11 May 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here to celebrate our first wedding anniversary. The booking process was easy and hassle free, and there was plenty of off road parking, although admittedly we didn't use our car during our stay. The rooms were nicely decorated and very clean. The bar area was comfortable and welcoming, and the wine list was very decent for a hotel of its size. Staff were friendly and welcoming.

There were, however, two specific things that let it down somewhat.

One was the breakfast - there was plenty of choice which we were pleased with, but we were disappointed with the English breakfast. Specifically with the sausages and bacon. We just didn't think that they were of good enough quality for the price that we paid.

The second was that we paid extra for a deluxe room with spa bath - thinking that we could have a romantic bath. But the bath was a 3/4 length, so there wasn't enough room for one of us to lay down for a decent soak.

They are the only two reasons why we have marked the hotel down a bit

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Lisa C
Thank you for your review and sorry about the let downs. We did ourselves think that the sausage was different in some way and they were a lot smaller than our usual ones so we had a tasting test ( really we did ) when the next batch were delivered we cooked three of each batch and found a big difference in the taste and texture. I have contacted our butcher and they held their hands up and admitted they didn't have our regular ones and substituted them for another which was quite naughty without informing us. Hopefully this will not occur again. Apologies but apart from that thank you for a very good review.
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 May 2014

We called in here on the off-chance as we were struggling to book a table in Windermere centre. We were really pleased that we did, they have a set menu and all the food was cooked to perfection. The dining room feels very cosy and the set menu is extremely reasonable. I have never reviewed anywhere on tripadvisor before but feel that I have to because this place was a real find. There were two adults and one child in our party and we all loved it. We will definitely go back when we are in the area again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
glenglen, Owner at The Glenburn Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this review, 7 May 2014
Pleased you enjoyed your Dinner at the Glenburn. Many people do not realise that we are open to non residents and we are half way between Windermere and Bowness so it is very handy if you don't want to face the walk down to the centre. Nice to see your daughter enjoyed the Salmon with dill sauce from the adult menu and how very polite she was. Thank you for choosing The Glenburn and taking the time to write a lovely review.
Peterlee, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 May 2014

Just returned from a break in this lovely hotel. The hotel owners and staff were excellent and very helpful and accommodating. The room was as shown on the website and it is great that you can actually see the room you are booking. We would definitely stay again and will recommend this hotel to family and friends. The location is very good it is a stroll both to Windermere shops and Bowness .

Room Tip: Look on the hotel website where all the rooms have a number and pictures and tell you which floor th...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Great review thank you very much really appreciate you taking the time. Weather could have been a little kinder to us but it wasn't too bad. Look forward to seeing you both again in the near future.
Staffordshire

Basic hotel Walls thin Can hear guests in other rooms Staff distant
Breakfast basic
Expectations not met
Parking very bad Had to leave the car in the road which was very off putting
Would not book again

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank opera_7
Sorry to hear the guest would not book with us again. I did ask on departure if the stay was ok because I knew there had been an issue with parking. Unfortunately there was a car in the car park which were not guests at the hotel and it took up two of the guest spaces and I did ask them to move it immediately so this guest could park the car. When I informed the guest there was a space available they did not want it. It seems when little crisis like this happen then everything else becomes an issue. Could I point out that parking at the hotel is free and we have a parking space for each room even though it is a little tight at times ... if there is an issue we will sort it we cant do anything after the event. I fail to see where breakfast is basic.. Full English breakfast, toast & Jams. orange juice, apple juice, choice of 7 cereals, bowl of fresh fruit, prunes, grapefruit, muffins, porridge, kippers, choice of teas and coffees not bad for a small hotel and it would certainly meet my expectations and more. Thank you for taking the time to write the review and I am sorry your stay was unsatisfactory.
Alpes
Reviewed 5 May 2014

Stopped at the Glenburn Hotel while visiting the lakes in April, it is situated in a great position, equal distance between Windermere and Bowness, nice rooms, tastefully decorated with clean facilities.
The staff were friendly and helpful, I will be visiting again when I return to the lakes.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write your review. It is a nice feeling to be called "perfect place" it makes all our efforts and hard work worthwhile. Thank you so much we really appreciate your kind words and look forward to seeing you again at the Glenburn.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Windermere
Applegarth Villa and Restaurant
#3 of 20 in Windermere
The Duke of Edinburgh Hotel
The Duke of Edinburgh Hotel
#4 of 13 in Barrow-in-Furness

Been to The Glenburn Hotel & Restaurant? Share your experiences!