“A pleasant spring visit for the gardener / plantsman”

Brockhole on Windermere
Ranked #7 of 32 things to do in Windermere
More attraction details
Owner description: Brockhole on Windermere offers activities to suit everyone, from toddlers to adventure seekers to those in search of an ultra-relaxing experience whilst enjoying their time in the Lake District. It's all here in one place, set against stunning mountain views on the shores of Windermere in the Lake District National Park, Cumbria. From family activities to glorious garden tours and seasonal events, there really is something for all ages. Why not explore 30 acres of beautiful historical gardens and grounds? Or picnic by the lakeshore and enjoy secret beaches with the family? If the children are feeling more adventurous they can swing or bounce through ancient woodland on Treetop Trek and Treetop Nets. Down by the lakeshore, you can hire kayaks and rowing boats, enjoy or catch the cruise boat across the lake, depending on the season. There's also archery, bike hire and mini golf on offer during the season. Don't forget to finish your day by taking in the stunning lake views offering stunning views towards the distant Langdale Pikes at the terrace café, while enjoying local ales and dishes. There's also a well-stocked gift shop and ever changing exhibition space to enjoy indoors.
Reviewed 24 November 2013 via mobile

I visited Brockhole in early summer / late spring on a holiday to the lakes. I'm a keen gardener and tree enthusiast and a friend of mine had told me it was worth seeing what he thought was one of the best Monkey Puzzle trees in the UK. I certainly wasn't disappointed to be greeted by a towering specimen, but also Chilean flame trees, Magnolias and Rhododendrons. We enjoyed lunch on a sunny terrace area- with more kids than I'd like, but I can see the attraction is really geared at families.

There are newer reviews for Brockhole on Windermere

Reviewed 14 November 2013

We spent a wonderful autumn afternoon listening to music from Classic Ensembles followed by an afternoon tea. What a good idea to have these events in the autumn when the lakes is a little quieter. Thoroughly enjoyed our visit.

Reviewed 31 October 2013

We visited Brockhole visitor centre with our 1 year old daughter and had a very nice time.

There was a nice little soft play area for our little one to let off some steam in though for older toddlers it wouldn't be so stimulating. The exhibitions on the area are interesting and well laid out. There is a nice restaurant with lots of variety and not too expensive for a tourist attraction. The gift shop has lots of interesting items for sale and all the facilities are clean and well laid out.
The high ropes course and adventure playground looked good for older children though we didn't try them ourselves.

Have dropped one rating (4 out of 5) just to let people know that this is not really an attraction which you could use as the main focus of a day out, but it is certainly good if you have a couple of spare hours or as a stop off on one of the windemere lake cruises (as we did)!

A very nice attraction!

Reviewed 29 October 2013

Had an excellent day out up in the trees and the zip wires etc. food alittle over priced but not to bad. Parking however......We parked in the empty car park and spent 10 mins looking for the pay and display machine which between four adult we couldn't find so asked at the desk to be told that they weren't working and not to worry about it. we continued with our day and left. nearly a month later I received a letter from Lake District National Park stating that I had been illegally parked at Brokhole and that they were fining me £60 or if I paid within 14 days it would be reduced to £30!!!! I have repeatedly emailed the parking department so I can pay the parking fine over the telephone as I do not have a paypal account to pay the fine but they still have not replied I can only assume they want me to go over the 14 days so I have to pay the £60 fine. What a shame as we had enjoyed the holiday but I will never go back to the lake district again.

6  Thank Gazzian
david c, Manager at Brockhole on Windermere, responded to this reviewResponded 4 November 2013

Thank you for your comments regarding Brockhole Car Parking problems.
We have installed a Pay on Exit system at Brockhole as a direct result of negative customer feedback regarding car parking. We do not charge any entry fee to the grounds gardens or exhibitions at Brockhole and if you arrive by Public Transport the site is indeed free. The parking system we have developed includes many ways to pay including a unique online option with which you can pay up to 48hrs after your visit. There are a total of 11 signs on the car park and 4 payment terminals all of which explain the system clearly. In terms of enforcement we carry this out ourselves as we do have the legal power to do this but we enforce at a much lower figure than you have claimed, this figure covers our costs and we add the unpaid parking to that figure. All we want is our customers who use the car park to pay for it. Again I am sorry that your failure to pay for parking has resulted in a fine but we are trying our best to make parking easier.

Reviewed 29 October 2013

We took our whole family here on Sunday. It had a great walk around the grounds down to lake Windermere. Our 3 Grandsons enjoyed splashing in muddy puddles (thanks Peppa Pig).

They then enjoyed joining in with the activities and made badges.

The café was great and all reasonably priced