Huge thanks to Philip, Mary and Maggie (both of them) for hosting a truly unforgettable New Year’s Eve celebration in the Lakes.
Our New Year’s Eve began with a prompt pick-up at Windermere Train Station – kindly provided by Mary - followed by the chance to reacquaint ourselves with the delights of Room 1 where we had stayed 12 months previously.
Featuring an ample king-size bed; brand-new leather couch; TV and DVD player; fluffy his-and-hers dressing gowns; the latest editions of glossy lifestyle magazines - plus a well-stocked tea and coffee tray - our every need was truly catered for.
The evening began on a high with homemade cider punch and gorgeous canapés in the residents’ lounge – beautifully decorated for Christmas with atmospheric ‘Big Band’ tunes in full swing. This was our first opportunity to meet our fellow guests. What a friendly and hospitable bunch they were! No worries here about awkward silences or stilted conversation as we made our leisurely selections from the perfectly-appointed wine and drinks menu before moving into the romantically-lit dining room for our four-course meal.
Philip and Mary had tempted our tastebuds well in advance – emailing us a variety of options to mull over in the run-up to Christmas. Every course trumped the last as we tucked into curried carrot soup; cheese soufflé; sea bass; a gin palate cleanser and sticky toffee pudding. In between courses we worked our way through trivia questions, which has been thoughtfully placed on the table for entertaining.
Then it was time to roll ourselves into the lounge ‘comfortably replete’ for the evening’s entertainment – old-fashioned parlour games!
No effort on the planning front had been spared as we worked (argued) our way through Maggie’s picture quiz; learned how to play the ‘Mickey Mouse Game’; debated the rules of the ‘Murder-Detective Game’ and tried to eat After Eights by squirming them down our faces!
At the stroke of midnight there was champagne (included in the price) and a stroll out onto the porch to watch fireworks explode across Windermere. My husband – owing to his dark-haired curls - was nominated for First Footing duties and earned a lump of coal and a shot of whiskey for his trouble.
The following morning Philip led us on a bracing walk round the edge of the Lake before returning to 1 Park Road for Buck’s Fizz and brunch. Talk about starting 2014 on a high!
That evening we indulged in one of Philip’s fantastic platters with fruit beers in our room – an absolute bargain at only £16 per person – while sampling the latest DVD releases from the free DVD library.
When we got peckish later on we tiptoed downstairs in our dressing gowns to enquire after some crisps. Something of a crisp connoisseur we were treated to a sample from Philip’s own collection.
After so much fun and luxury it was a wrench to return to the ‘real world’ on 2 January, but our dismay is tempered by the knowledge we will be returning soon to indulge once again in Philip and Mary’s wonderful company and hospitality.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- 1 Park Road is an award-winning luxury boutique hotel in the heart of Windermere village. A recently refurbished former gentleman's residence that has a wonderful laid-back feel. 6 Spacious ensuite rooms with comfortable beds- three with king sized beds, flat screened TV's, DVD and Ipod docking stations. All rooms have The White Company soaps and bath robes and lotions from Pure Company. There is proper fresh coffee, tea pots and fresh milk- very important. We are fully licensed with an interesting selection of wines and bottled beers from around the world. We offer freshly cooked dinners at week ends and either cold meat or cheese platters the rest of the week- subject to availability. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Odigeo and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your 1 Park Road reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- 1 Park Road Hotel Windermere
- 1 Park Road Windermere, Lake District