“Fantastic wedding”

Merewood Country House Hotel
Ranked #7 of 20 Hotels in Windermere
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 25 February 2014

We attended a friends daughters wedding at the Merewood at the end of February.
WOW!!!! Couldn't fault it in any way....not that i was looking.
The place itself is stunning. Fires were lit which made the soggy, grey day outside bearable. All rooms were tastefully decorated with quirky touches and bedecked with flowers.
The quality of service, attention to detail and professionalism of the staff was outstanding. Rarely do you attend a wedding or function where there are no visable hiccups but not here.
The staff were gracious, efficient and very helpfull...nothing was too much trouble. They were attentive without being servile and genuinely seemed to be enjoying the day as much as the guests. The quality and presentation of the wedding breakfast was outstanding. Superb quality ingredients, cooked to perfection and served hot and quickly. Attentive waitresses and waiters kept the tables filled with wine and cleared as to not get over cluttered.
If you're looking for something exceptional then this is the place to be. Our friends daughter obviously wanted a special venue for her reception and my god she chose well. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank joobles
There are newer reviews for Merewood Country House Hotel

Reviewed 26 January 2014

I arranged a two day break as a christmas present for my husband. Merewood had been recommended to me, even tho the recommendation was glowing it didn't do it credit. A beautiful hotel in beautiful surroundings with log fires to relax in front of, perfect for a cold winter days.The staff are amazing, friendly, welcoming and very helpful. Nothing is to much trouble and they went to great lengths to make our stay perfect. We stayed in room two, a lovely room with a lake view. We had our thirteen month old Labrador with us and he was made to feel very welcome also. The staff at Merewood are very dog friendly, which went towards making our stay even more enjoyable . We have booked to return to Merewood and know it won't be the last time.

Room Tip: When booking ask which room would suit your requirements best.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sharon D
Reviewed 21 January 2014

My two Border Collies and I have just enjoyed a quiet, relaxing 3 night winter break at the Merewood. I and my two 4 legged companions were made extremely welcome by all the staff, the hotel was immaculate and the food excellent. We are looking forward to a return visit.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank Ros S
Reviewed 20 January 2014

I have eaten at the Merewood on numerous occasions and have also stayed once before about two years ago but all before I started doing Tripadvisor reviews. My friend and I had a special offer for here and decided to take advantage. We had rooms 3 and 4 and although not large, had everything we needed - large television, constant hot water in a lovely bathroom and stunning views over to the lake. The lounges are very traditional with log fires (which were most welcome, given the damp and drizzly day). The food was delicious with an extensive menu and wine list for our evening meal and I was stuck for choice as I could happily have eaten most of it! There was no rush at all in the dining room and it was a relaxing and enjoyable experience. Breakfast was also very pleasant with a buffet table of cereals, fruit, yoghurts etc and then the cooked breakfast doneto order. I would be happy to recommend to anyone.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank lillibet12309
Reviewed 20 January 2014

I arranged to visit the Merewood for afternoon tea with my girlfriend last Spring.
The staff were extremely helpful from the get-go, it was a pleasure dealing with them.
On arrival, and as they were so quiet, we were offered drinks and given the run of the house to explore the rooms downstairs- the place had a fantastic feel and this was a nice touch that was much appreciated.
Given the option, we took our afternoon tea outside on the patio enjoying the fantastic views. Service was attentive and the spread was great! It was a shame we were so hungover, it may have been enjoyed even more.
The tranquility of the grounds is an instant leveller. The Merewood is situated below fast jet flying space- perhaps not for everyone but I absolutely loved the echoing boom and seeing the jets.
Would certainly come again.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ukfowler
Reviewed 5 January 2014

Returned to the Merewood for another much-anticipated Christmas break and, despite this being our 5th visit, I was struck as if for the first time by the exceptional standards of this hotel. The high-quality facilities, sumptuous rooms, fabulous views and exquisite food combine to make this the best hotel I've ever stayed in. Memories abide of the extraordinary & wonderful staff - every single one of them goes way, way beyond the call of duty. Their never-failing helpfulness, friendliness and kindness is really something else and is so much appreciated. My sincere thanks to all of them for making this Christmas (and the last four) such magical & memorable times.
We shall be back.....

Room Tip: Views of the lake from the front rooms are gorgeous.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank njmooney
Reviewed 2 January 2014

By far one of the most exceptional hotels I have ever stayed in - set in stunning grounds with breathtaking views of lake windermere, this country house provides a great escape from normality. Beautifully decorated with plush settees and roaring log fires, Merewood feels far enough away from anywhere that you can relax and unwind, but it is minutes from Windermere in the car, and has easy accessible walks nearby.
We were seriously impressed with the quality of the food, both for dinner and breakfast, and the service of all the waiting staff was very pleasant and helpful too.
All in all, I have nothing to fault about this hotel, and whilst it was only a short stay, I cannot wait to be returning very soon!

Room Tip: Ask for a lake view room if any are available!
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple