“See you all soon”

Merewood Country House Hotel
Ranked #7 of 20 Hotels in Windermere
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 3 September 2014

This is the second time we have stayed the first time I proposed and we just had to come back all the staff are attentative and will make sure you are well looked after this time we stayed in room two and it was simple amazing we didn't really want to leave the room it was that nice, we dined in the restaurant the first night as we had previously done on our first stay and it was just as good you really don't need to venture out of your just after a chilled few days, we did the tree top climb and walk which is just opposite the driveway entrance that was fun and then dinned at hollbeck ghyll which was fantastic, my only problem was we wanted to book for next year but it's full , but fingers crossed lorna and Lucy can pull a few strings

• Stayed: September 2014

Reviewed 31 August 2014 via mobile

We went to Merewood for afternoon tea with friends It was fabulous I throughly recommend going there its a delight I want to experience again and again x The service the food and the atmosphere is a joy this is the second time I have been and Stuart (the chef) produced equally delicious sandwiches and cakes both times x Thankyou to all the staff you made the whole experience wonderful nothing was too much trouble x

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 August 2014

My partner found this hotel at the last minute and he couldn't have made a better choice.
From the moment we arrived we knew we had found the ideal place to spend my birthday. The location was perfect set in a beautiful wood and gardens. The staff couldn't have been more welcoming, friendly and helpful.
They serve a five course evening meal which is first class as is the breakfast.
We will definitely be returning

Room Tip: You can request a room with a lake view
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Marion T
Reviewed 19 August 2014

We visited with our daughters & enjoyed our stay so much we shall return every year! Staff were very friendly & helpful, particularly Jenny,Tom,Lorna Merissa & James. Nothing was too much trouble. We felt "quite at home! "
The room had a lovely view of the Gardens & Lake Windermere.The food was absolutely amazing ! Best we have had! The Chef made amazing goujons for the girls too & nothing too much trouble & all freshly cooked.The girls would go off into the study to play some board games,after they had eaten, while we enjoyed our dinner relaxing in the dining room overlooking the beautiful gardens each evening.The location was fantastic too, as within walking distance of Brockhole National Visitors Centre & the Windermere Ferry Boats.In all, a lovely relaxing family Break !

Reviewed 17 August 2014

Once again our stay at the Merewood was excellent. We took our 5 yr old granddaughter and she loved her stay there with us. We shared a huge room with two double beds and a fabulous view over lake Windermere The staff were outstanding as was the service and food. I love this hotel it is the epitome of the English Lake District.

Room Tip: No wi fi connection at all in room 5. But it is a lovely room
Reviewed 16 August 2014

First with the practicalities. Merewood stands at the top of a winding lane surrounded by the grounds that are beautiful, peaceful, well maintained, but are also set at different levels, there are also some decent walks through woods for dogs. The entrance has a small porch (umbrellas provided), ideal for wet muddy wells. You then go into the entrance hall which has a lovely fire, comfy seating, newspapers etc and a small reception. There are fresh flowers in every public room as well as real coal fireplaces. The public rooms include an edwardian conservatory bar, a drawing room with a piano, a wonderful library where the seating looks out over the lakes (most of our evenings following our meal were spent in here as a family & dog, with our after dinner coffee and chocs - playing Jenga), small dining room and large dining room. We stayed in room 5, I chose this room as it had a massive window over looking the lakes (cosy couch to sit and watch the day go by) but also because of the sheer size of the room (it was massive). With a teenage son and a large dog, the size was a real bonus. There are two large beds in this room (I think king or queen) a vanity table with full mirror and lighting (hair dryer provided - decent). For clothes (I find packing in the UK difficult, is it going to be hot, cold, dry, wet, wells/trainers/high heels etc??? - so I take, well usually the full wardrobe with me) there were three bedside cabinets, a set of drawers and a wardrobe with quite a few hangers, there was also the dressing table. The room was very clean, including the lovely soft carpets and the amazingly comfortable beds which had soft mattress comforters and excellent cotton linen under the bedspreads. The bathroom hold a large jacuzzi bath with an electric shower, there is the usual wash handbasin with victorian type taps (great for my stiff fingers) and WC. Products provided were of good quality and support the welfare of the honey bee, these included conditioning shampoo, shower gel, soap and body lotion, lovely fluffy white towels and facecloths were also provided along with a non slip bath mat if needed. There were also tea and coffee making facilities in the room including fruit tea as well as normal tea, coffee, sweeteners, sugar and lovely biscuits which were replenished daily (there was also a bowl of boiled sweets in the room). Now for the best bit - the meals - wow. Evening meal was between 7.00 - 9.00 when you could go down at your leisure. We took canapés in the bar, these were very nice and an extra portion was provided for our son, who was not on the dinner bed and breakfast deal. We were handed a menu while enjoying these and when our starter was ready we were invited into the dining room. The tables are set to a high standard and are again immaculate and there was a selection of wonderful breads on the table. My starters included scallops on the first night, then goats cheese and final night smoked salmon (these all came with delicious accompaniments); then came the soup or sorbet, never thought I'd say this about soup (amazing flavours and completely delicious, I had white onion soup and then pea, mint and yes coconut froth ....absolutely beautiful). For main course I had wonderfully cooked beef on the first night, turbot (quite spicy) second night and then duck. Desserts included the best vanilla panacotta I have ever had which included (I think mango sorbet) nuggets of honeycomb and meringues and also black berries - really lovely combination. I liked this so much I had it twice. On the third night I had bitter chocolate brownie with mint chic chip ice cream (real mint). All meals were finished with tea/coffee and chocs. As mentioned we have a teenage son and of course he did not want all this "fancy stuff", the lovely obliging chef made him fresh chicken nuggets and french fries and the most amazing steak cheeseburger, our son also had chocolate mouse and the brownie (we were charged a very, very reasonable rate for these). The staff at the hotel were also excellent. Kind, well mannered and could not do enough for you - but I have to say they were not in your face and were just very nice. Breakfasts were also lovely. We found this hotel very good value for money, we got a discount for booking early and booked the three day midweek rate. We enjoyed this so much we are going to try and get booked in for October - so a great big thank you to the staff at Merewood. Forgot to mention (as not important to me on holiday- but young people liked) there is also WiFi.

Room Tip: Book a lakeside room
1  Thank penelopeanne
Reviewed 10 August 2014

Went for afternoon tea with my extended family. We had lovely sandwiches , wonderful cakes, tea and a glass of fizz. The hotel has magnificent views and the staff are delightful. Would recommend this place to anyone.

1  Thank Laura B