“A great few days” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #11 of 20 Hotels in Windermere
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“A great few days”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2013

We went to the hotel on a Living Social deal and found it to be excellent. The staff were welcoming, friendly and helpful. We were a little apprehensive about being in the annexe but there was no need. It was close by and a covered walkway provided shelter for the few yards necessary. The suite we had - more than we had booked - was quiet, comfortable and well furnished. The super king sized bed was one of the best we have used. The menus were varied, the quality of food meals very good and the service well paced. My wife left her purse and the hotel were incredibly helpful in returning it to her. Perhaps the best compliment is that it rained virtually all of the time we were in Windermere but the hotel made our visit a pleasure.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
SOUTHLAKER, General Manager at Hillthwaite Hotel, responded to this review, 23 March 2013
Unfortunately my earlier response to you appears to have been lost in the 'ether' between ourselves and Trip Advisor for which I apologise. However, thank you so much for taking the time to write a review and your kind comments about the staff and the food which I have passed on. As you can probably see from two recent negative reviews not everyone likes to be in the annexe although the majority of the guests who stay in there are very happy with the larger rooms and the great views. We have certainly welcomed a lot of Living Social members during the past few months, the overwhelming majority of whom have regarded their package as being excellent value for money and we in turn have found them generally to be a very pleasant and friendly type of guest to look after. I hope we can look forward top welcoming you back to the Hillthwaite on some future occasion keep your eye on our Trip Advisor page as we regularly advertise special offers on here. Thank you and once again I apologise for the fact that my original response appears to have been lost.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (424)
Barrow-in-Furness, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2013

This weekend we had a two night stay in the fabulous executive room15! The room was fabulous and the bathroom amazing with the lights and the inset television, very relaxing! All of the staff were very welcoming, the hotel was spotless and the food was delicious. The whole hotel was very warm and cosy, which was very welcome on Sunday morning, when we woke up to inches of snow! Would recommend this room, which we were told had just been redecorated and upgraded, definitely worth the money, with a fabulous balcony and view!

• 4 of 5 bubbles
SOUTHLAKER, General Manager at Hillthwaite Hotel, responded to this review, 21 March 2013
Thank you for your review. I am especially happy to read your comments about room 15 which is quickly become very sought after by our guests. We are currently refurbishing some of our other rooms and although they can't all have the WOW factor we have achieved with room 15 our aim is to make them as comforting and welcoming as we possibly can. I look forward to hopefully welcoming you back to the hotel on some future occasion.
Nottingham, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2013

When looking what places were on offer in the Windermere area we stumbled across an advert for the Hillthwaite. We checked the website and the images on the site gave the impression that this venue was of a certain standard and therefore we went ahead with the booking.
We also found that at the time of our booking there was an offer on the internet so to save a small amount we used this and attempted to book a room.
From the off set we should have realised there was something wrong...
On checking availability on the website and telephoning the hotel they cleary stated that rooms were available. BUT when we explained that we would like to book and that we had an offer code all of a sudden all the rooms were full.
We called many times and each time the room was available until the offer was mentioned.
Eventually they accepted our booking and we thought all was now sorted and having looked at the website and discussed over the phone with the hotel the type of room we would be having and being told that there would be a photo of the room on the website we started to look forward to out little trip.

On arrival we drove up the driveway and thought to ourselves that it looked like a nice place. We approached the reception desk where we were met by a plesant male Manager who took our detail and then said..."you do know you are in the annex dont you?" with a little uncertainty in his voice.
We were shown to the Annex and out room.

We were told to drive down the driveway and go via another route to the rear of the building where we would be met.
Well... the route we took was far from what we had experienced from the front of the property. The driveway was no more than potholes and the area we had to park our car was to the rear of the kitchens surrounded by broken scrap metal and dead plants and general rubbish.
To top the lot was a very ugly Annex that looked more like a converted garage than a hotel and nothing like the hotel that was advertised via their website.

On entering the room it smelt fusty and the furniture was old and tatty with stains and cobwebs around the coving and room corners.

The room was of a good size but other than that it was a total letdown and not to a value of what we paid - regardless of any offer we may have used.
We called the Manager back to the room and explained that we were not happy. We were told that there were no other rooms and that it was of a good size. We explained that it was not the size but rather the environmet itself and that this was not what we had booked and paid for. We were told there was little he could do and that he could not even offer us any refund/part-refund.

*** Just to explain....at this point had we got a full refund we would have run for the hills and left to find a more suitable venue to stay.***
So we had no choice but to stay.

The manager did say that although he understaood it was not compensation that he would provide a bottle of wine to us during our evening meal (Remember this bit).

So you can all make your own mind up I will add some photos of the place so you can all compare to whats advertsied on their website.

We also found that the room next door was actually an unlocked storage space that we regularly found with the dorr open... yet another poor image given by this hotel (photo included).

So whilst staying in the room we had damp ceiling where the paper was coming off. Dirty bathroom with a bar of soap with what I can only assume if the previous guests pube on. A very uncomfortable bed thus little sleep was gained - this was probably also caused by the loud ongoing noise of a washer or dryer being started at around 0200 hrs each morning directly below us. Very steep steps leading up to the room - good job we didnt have any mobility issues. No lighting outside on the afformentioned steps thus being somewhat unsafe.... and before I get told I could use the other route - there were steps and faulty lighting on that way too. Oh and by using the other way you have to walk through the Staff quarters that frankly stunk. Someone else must have complained about this as during our stay trhe whole area was cleaned and a new airfreshener appeared.

I could go on but just look at the images. I did ask where the fire assembly point was but nobody knew... not even the sign knew?

***
Having read the other comments on tripadvisor I can agree with some but I found the best part of our stay was the evening meal and the quality and politeness of the staff who were mainly none-english. The staff that we spoke with were fantastic and I cannot fault them.
We also used the lounge area that was in the style and tast eof that shown on the website and this too was nice.

At the time of us leaving we were glad to be going and we have already found a very nice alternative vanue to stay during our next visit (but Im not going to advertise them here as I dont think its suitable).

We booked out and when giving the key back I was told that I owned for the bottle of wine from the evening meal ( I refer back to the managers offer). Again the staff member was very polite and I simply stated that they know where I live so they can contact me if they truely wish to take this matter formally - and I did not pay.

All in all this hotel could have been very nice had we been in a room as advertsied but we feel we were simply stuffed into a makeshift room that has nothing in commoon with what is advertised thus we feel mislead.

The location of the hotel was good for our requirements and the view from the restaurant was nice.

Would we stay again.... NO.
Would we recommend.... NO.

(I have more photos is they are required)

7 Thank ReggyTR
SOUTHLAKER, General Manager at Hillthwaite Hotel, responded to this review, 19 March 2013
I read your devastating and very critical review with considerable disappointment. First let me assure you that no one at the Hillthwaite ever knowingly misrepresents the hotel or the services we provide.

Whilst your review was not totally unexpected, I assume some of your robust and somewhat cynical complaints are due to the fact that I was unable to offer you an immediate refund because you were unhappy with the room which had been allocated to you. I did explain, which you did appear to accept, that you would have to seek a refund from the voucher issuing company if you felt that the room offered did not meet your expectations and we were unable to offer acceptable alternative accommodation. However, following our protracted discussion I was under the impression, quite wrongly obviously, that my efforts to reconcile the situation had been accepted and that our discussion had ended amicably. How wrong can one be! I would also like to remind you that in addition to the wine I also offered you a complimentary dinner on the second night of your stay. Why then you have chosen to embark on such an exaggerated and one sided post mortem of your visit is to say the least, regrettable. You give the impression that I was totally unsympathetic and unresponsive to your complaint which both of us know was not the case. However, no doubt you now feel vindicated that your review and accompanying photographs have been published and that you have fulfilled your duty as a self appointed hotel inspector, so I will do my best to do mine and respond to your comments but perhaps with a little less vitriol and sarcasm.

Whilst we acknowledge that the annexe does not have the traditional feel or construction of our main hotel building, it has served us very well for many years in providing very acceptable additional comfortable accommodation without perhaps the immediate convenience provided within the main hotel building, even being specifically requested by some previous guests. On checking in, we always confirm, as a matter of courtesy, to guests who are staying in the annexe, that they are aware that their accommodation is not in the main hotel building and that there is more convenient car parking adjacent to the annexe. To interpret this explanation in any other way is a contortion of the facts.

Like most establishments running at near 100% occupancy with high daily room turnover figures (so we must be getting most things right) the strict attention to detail is occasionally, but unintentionally overlooked, as that would seem to have been the case with the room you occupied, I apologise and this will only serve for us to redouble our efforts to ensure that our quality control standards are even more rigorously applied. I accept that we have some ongoing maintenance issues which due to refurbishment work being carried out elsewhere has fallen a little behind schedule and probably accounts for some of the materials visiable associated with this work.

As far as the store cupboard next to your room is concerned I can't understand why this should have any bearing on the quality of your stay. The fire regulations and assembly point are clearly marked on the bedroom door and we take our responsibilities towards health and safety very seriously indeed but we do expect our guests to exercise a modicum of common sense towards these. The location of your room and its proximity to an easily accessible entrance, plus the fact the room also possesses a sliding patio door would in my opinion have hardly represented a life threatening situation.

Your description of how your reservation was initially handled is totally unrepresentative of the standard procedures applied by all our receptionists. To suggest that we acted deviously and were reluctant to take your reservation because you had purchased a voucher is plainly, in the words of the great Winston Churchill, 'a terminological inexactitude!' We welcome guests using voucher offer sites equally with those who do not. However, we will not take any reservations from guests intending to use a voucher for their stay until they have actually purchased the voucher and provide the relevant codes contained on the voucher. Rooms that may be available on an initial enquiry may be booked by the time a firm reservation is made.

Thank you for your kind comments about the food and staff which I passed on to them, along with your caustic and unwarranted reference to their personal hygiene, I can assure you that this completely negated the pleasure they had enjoyed from your initial remarks.

At the Hillthwaite we accept that, despite all our best efforts, we don't get it right all of the time and realise that healthy constructive criticism comes with the territory, but we are also genuine in trying to ensure that we always make every effort to exceed our guest's expectations, 99% of the time we achieve this goal.

Finally I would like to put your review into an economic context and once gain illustrate the actual returns which hotels 'enjoy' from their participation in the proliferation of voucher site offers. Once HM Customs and Revenue and the Voucher site company have extracted their dues from the value you paid for the voucher, the hotel is left with the princely sum of £132.36, which has to cover two nights accommodation for two people, plus two five course dinners on one evening and two full English breakfasts on both mornings-less of course the £15.42 nett you received with the free bottle of wine. You don't have to be a mathematical genius to realise that leaves nothing to invest in future refurbishment plans, after all the overheads of maintaining a 34 bedroom property and the associated facilities, including an on site swimming pool, are taken into consideration. Undoubtedly guests are benefiting in these straightened economic times from a crop of discounted hotel rates, but please understand this is the reason why our normal refurbishment programme is perhaps not as active, and in some cases delayed, as it was in the past..

I have noted that you would not return and wouldn't recommend the hotel, in the light of this I would therefore merely like to direct future and prospective guests, to consider your review in conjunction with the numerous complimentary Trip Advisor reports already published.
Derby, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2013

We booked for a weekend away was very impressed with the rooms and service as soon as we arrived, food was fantastic and again service excellent would definatly recommend any one to stay here and we will certainly be booking again.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to write a review, we are really pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and especially so when I read that you are planning to return. We look forward to welcoming you back and will ensure that your next visit is just as good as this one.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2013

Me and my mum stayed at hillthwaite house on a two night stay 11th march 2013. I was delighted by the friendly greeting and amposhere, staff are lovely , very attentive. The food is 5* rating . Breakfast is a hot menu to order and Ceral/fruit buffet setting, evening menu was 5 courses, not to much choice on the menu which is good as all sounds so lovely. Room had a slight moden twist . There is free safe parking and the location is only at 10 minute stroll to windmere town centre , 15 minute drive to Ambleside/grassmere/hawshead. All great places we visited. The hotel is high up so amazing views of the lake and mountains , lovely sitting room with a log fire. Would like to thank the staff for making our break pleasurable and relaxing. I would 100% recommend and stay again my self.

• Stayed March 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
SOUTHLAKER, General Manager at Hillthwaite Hotel, responded to this review, 15 March 2013
Thank you for your review and the complimentary comments you make about the Hillthwaite, we try so hard to meet our guests expectations and when we receive a review like yours it gives all a great lift to know we must be getting things right most of the time! I have passed on your comments to the staff who we regard as our great asset. I look forward to welcoming you back to the Hillthwaite on some future occasion.
Liverpool, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2013

Just returned from a two night break at the lakes after staying here at Hillthwaite house, i must admit this hotel was only chosen as it was part of a living social offer (you can tell why)

The hotel itself i feel was poorly described as it is not on Lake Windermere at all and in deed a decent walk to the lake, however the views were nice and the hotel was decent. The room was clean and looked after, fresh towels and water provided daily. However again not as described as i had paid extra to upgrade to a superior room which was meant to have a four poster bed...it didn't but not really a big issue.

The food and the staff were what let this hotel down in our opinion, the staff are mostly foreign. No problem at all with this however it is quite hard to communicate when they don't understand simple questions about breakfast?! The food itself was very dissapointing, the breakfast we thought would be a buffet style of fruit/cereal/pastries when infact if you wish to order croisants for example this is considered an additional breakfast to which we had to pay £5.00 additional. The breakfast itself would not fill a child, served with 8 baked beans and 1 tiny sauage, 1 strip of bacon and 1 egg. The toast is served stone cold with rock hard butter which doesn't melt as the toast is so cold. After sampling the breakfast we chose not to eat here in the evenings and ventured into the town.

Finally the hotel itself is very warm, i am usually a person who feels the cold but this hotel was uncomfortably hot at times. Overall i would class this as a budget hotel but i definately think there are better hotels around to chose from.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank Collette_Craig
SOUTHLAKER, General Manager at Hillthwaite Hotel, responded to this review, 12 March 2013
Thank you for your review, however, I must admit that I took a sharp intake of breath when I read that you had been charged an extra £5 for croissants, this should not have happened for which I apologise most sincerely. As Trip Advisor reviewers have to remain anonymous it is not possible for us to refund this charge directly to you but I have taken the liberty of adding the £5 to our next donation to the Langdale and Ambleside Mountain Rescue team which I trust you will approve of.

I am sorry that you found our Lakeland breakfast to be inadequate and for that reason you decided not to have dinner in our restaurant. You will see from many previous Trip Advisor reviewers our food consistently receives high praise . The breakfast should have consisted of bacon, choice of eggs, Cumberland sausage, tomato, mushrooms, fried bread, black pudding and baked beans, I can asure you that for the majority of our guests this adequately meets their needs, however for guests with a heartier appetite we are always happy to provide larger portions of individual breakfast items and a quiet word with the breakfast supervisor would have quickly remedid the situation.

Hotels come in all shapes, sizes and prices, so with respect your comment that there are 'definitely better' hotels must be put into context. Whilst we always welcome unbiased reviewer opinions, the question of what is 'better' and what is 'not better' is and will always remain a question of personal opinion and judgement- in other words what suits one doesn't suit another! However, thank you once again for providing your personal assessment of our hotel and your comments have been duly noted.
durham
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2013

We booked our break via a living social deal which turned out to be great value for money,we had booked an annex room 2 months previous but on arrival found out they had given it to someone else,not a great thing to do ,but nevertheless we agreed to stay in a lake view room with a free meal and bottle of wine given to us for there mistake.
The service and food we had during our stay was absolutely excellent and couldnt of asked for better,the 3 chefs and staff are a credit to the hotel.
The dining room is very nicely laid out and you dont feel invaded like you can in other establishments,and you keep the same table throughout your stay.
We would definetly go back if we were visiting windermere.

Room Tip: lake view room