“MY SORT OF PLACE” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #11 of 20 Hotels in Windermere
London, United Kingdom
“MY SORT OF PLACE”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2013

Picking a hotel at random can be a lottery. I am pleased to announce that with Hillthwaite House I chose the right numbers. Hillthwaite is not pretentious and does not try to be any more than it is. What do you expect from an hotel? Peace and quiet..yes. Smiling and very helpful staff...yes. Good accommodation...yes. Good food....yes. Somewhere to relax...yes.
It is a good 20 minutes walk from the station and a similar walk to the centre of Bowness on Windermere and the Lake. Now here is a tip. The taxis that wait outside the station are very expensive and I mean very expensive. It's the old monopoly thing. There is a 'winged' taxi service with an office just on the edge of the station forecourt that will save you almost 50 per cent on your fare! Enough of the moaning and back to Hillthwaite. This really is a very nice, relaxing, restful and home-from-home hotel. Not many places in which my wife and I stay receive such rave reviews. Hillthwaite deserves your attention.

Room Tip: Don't be fussy and take what they offer. If you are staying for more than a week then plump for...
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
SOUTHLAKER, General Manager at Hillthwaite Hotel, responded to this review, 3 June 2013
Thanks for writing such a nice concise review you covered everything, you made me feel that I would want to stay at the Hillthwaite. Have you thought about a career in hotel marketing- there's obviously a light hiding under a bushel there! Sorry about the taxis and the price of parking in the Lake District, that's why we are pleased that we are able to offer our guests free, secure off road parking.

Anyway thank you once again and hope you will consider the Hillthwaite again when visiting our lovely part of the world.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (424)
Atherton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2013

This hotel provides a perfect location from which to base yourself before you go exploring the beauty of The Lake District. From the moment we arrived we received a warm and friendly greeting from reception and this continued no matter which staff we came across. We were in Room 15 which had recently been refurbished to an extremely high standard to provide your own little piece of luxury. I'm not sure the photos on the website do it justice, especially the bathroom. No matter what the English weather throws at you whilst out walking, you've always got the reassurance that your returning to a fantastic hotel room where you can dry off and feel 'human' again.
We dined on the Friday evenng and had a wonderful 4 course meal and a lovely bottle of red whilst admiring the views of the fells across Lake Windermere. Breakfast each morning gave a good selection of cereals, fruit, juices and cooked food with the portions being more than adequate to set you up for the day.
After a days walking in the most horrendous conditions it was lovely to relax in the swimming pool, sauna and steam room to relieve the body of the aches and pains inflicted by the cold English summer.
This is certainly a hotel that we would be happy to return to time and time again!!

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your great review, I am especially pleased that you enjoyed staying in room 15 which is a bit special now it has been refurbished isn't it. Glad your enjoyed our food, I seem to be continually passing great comments onto the kitchen brigade nowadays- I think I'm going to have to be careful or they will be asking for a rise!!

It doesn't come as a surprise that you found us friendly but as you will see from the vast majority of our reviews this is one of the Hillthwaite's great assets.

I am so pleased that you feel could return time and time again and I can assure you that your experience was typical and not just a flash in the pan and look forward to welcoming you back.
Clitheroe, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2013

This Hotel is well situated between Windermere and Bowness and is only a few minutes walk from Bowness town centre.
It is dog friendly (our yorkshire terrier millie loved it) the only gripe we had, she was only allowed in the conservatory and our bedroom, but feel she could have been allowed in the bar lounge.
The staff were extreemly helpful and very friendly.
The food was well presented and good.
All in all ( although the weather was poor) our experience in the Hotel made up for it.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I suppose we are a little biased but we do feel that the hotel's location is really great, reasonably central yet away from the hustle and bustle of busy Bowness. Sorry about our dog restrictions but we do have to recognise that some guests are not quite as 'dog friendly' as we ourselves are and must there provide a 'dog free' zone for them to relax in.

I have passed on your kind comments about the food and service to the staff and I can assure you that these sort of compliments are always well received.

Hope we can look forward to welcoming you back to the Hillthwaite on some future occasion and once again thank you.
Leeds, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2013

We booked to stay here for my girlfriends birthday and what a great idea this turned out to be.
Upon arrival we were greeted by very friendly staff who explained all we could need to know about our stay before showing us to our room. We had a house double (room 18) and have to say it was a great room, lots of space and one of the most comfortable beds we have ever slept in. The views over the hills were wonderful and the jacuzzi whirlpool bath was a great surprise. The hotel itself did look a little dated from the outside but the work inside is of high standard, the lounge (please see my photo) was such a nice place to sit at anytime during the day but we found enjoying a glass of wine sitting in the window looking down to the lake on an evening just before our meal was very special.
The food was first class, we stayed for 2 nights and on our second night enjoyed the 5 course meal as part of our deal. On both nights we were shown to the lounge where we could view the menu in comfort, after deciding what to order we were then shown to our table. All courses were served by very polite staff and at no time did we feel rushed or watched over. Breakfast here was also very nice, you are seated at the same table as your evening meal and the table service is of the same high standard as the evening meal. The food here is top class both in ingredient and presentation, there is something for everyone and their own twists really work.
There is a lot to do locally as you would expect but if its a relaxing stay you are looking for then apart from the lounge rooms (with books and board games) you could also make use of the swimming pool area, not a huge pool but a nice size to relax in and the sauna and steam room offer a nice little extra treat.
There were only a couple of points that we would note, there was a leak from the corner of our shower screen and not all of our towels were changed. Our only point to note regarding the bar/dining here would be that the wine is priced a little high compared to other places.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to write a review and for your kind comments, I have passed these on to the staff who really are the hotel's greatest asset. Its hard sometimes to maintain a smile on your face after you have had to service a number of bedrooms and then work in the restaurant until late in the evening, but thats just what our staff seem able to do, there are some lovely young people about arn't there.

Your comments about the food are especially welcome and these have been passed on to our Chef and his brigade they said thank you and were glad that you had enjoyed their food.

Glad you found our small leisure facilities useful, we realise they don't compete with some of the luxurious leisure facilities which can be found elsewhere, but we just want them to be a little added bonus for our guests.

Thank you for your feedback regarding the shower-screen and the bar/wine prices. As far as the latter is concerned unfortunately we have very little control over supplier increases and alcohol duty impositions but I can assure your that we endeavour at all times to remain competitive with similar bars/hotels in the area.

Thank you once again and hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Hillthwaite on some future occasion.
Manchester, England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2013 via mobile

I don't normally write reviews and do this type of thing but seeing some of the extremely petty and unnecessary things I'd seen written about this fantastic hotel, I felt obliged to write a review.

I checked in on the 7th (of this month) for a 2 night stay. I'd got a deal and booked a Superior room with Lake View, for me and my partner. We were booked into Room 33 which was perfect. The view was wonderful. It certainly was a lake view with the hills in the background. It was just stunning-you couldn't ask for better. I got my monies worth in the view alone.
The room itself was lovely. It had a big, high, extremely comfy bed. There was a flat screen tv, plenty of storage and tea/coffee making facilities. The bathroom was beautiful and included a jacuzzi bath which was a great surprise. The whole room was perfect. I couldn't have wished for more.

On our first night we had dinner in the hotel restaurant. We had a 4 course meal which was beautiful. I had potato and onion soup to start-I'm not a fan of onion, but it was lovely. I could've eaten 2 bowls. I had haddock for my main, which again was cooked beautifully. My partner had steak and it was cooked perfectly-exactly as she requested. The restaurant staff were all really friendly and polite. We were possibly the last to finish our meal but nobody made us feel rushed. After our evening meal we sat out on the terrace to finish our wine, which faces the lake and the hills. Another opportunity to take in the beautiful view.

We had breakfast during our stay which again, was perfect. My partner had the full english and I had the same but the vegetarian version. Both were well cooked and presented and were delicious. A great start to the day.
I'd also like to add that the older lady, (I never got her name) who may have been the restaurant manager, as she was present at both dinner and breakfast was lovely. A really friendly lady who clearly worked hard and would try and get guests window tables where possible. Extremely polite, courteous and professional and helped add to a wonderful dining experience.

During our stay, we also made use of the sauna, steam room and swimming pool. The hotel also provided us with towels. All of which added to our relaxing break away. All the facilities were kept clean and well maintained. It was lovely, at the time that we used them, to have these facilities to ourselves for a good couple of hours.

I would like to also mention that my partner is in fact a girl and the reason why I mention this is it can be a worry, when you check into somewhere what the staffs potential reaction might be as we are a gay couple. Nobody batted an eyelid. Nobody made us feel even slightly uncomfortable. We were just another pair of guests to cater for and for that, I am extremely grateful-thank you.

All in all, if you've not already gathered, we had a wonderful time. We didn't want to leave on the morning of checking out. It was a relaxing 2 day break. I will definitely be staying here again and will recommend this hotel to all of my friends and family.

Thank you to all the staff for a wonderful 2 night stay in your lovely, friendly, perfectly located hotel.

• Stayed May 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Sorry it's taken me so long to respond to your lovely review, as you may have read from my recent responses, I have had the luxury of taking a busman's holiday in Southern Ireland-a real treat. However, I was absolutely delighted to read how 'perfect' you felt your stay at the Hillthwaite was. I must admit we do go on a little about the stunning views from the Hotel especially when the sun is setting behind the distant fells, its a photographers dream! The 'older' lady is Maggie and usually stands in for our Restaurant Manager, Pavel when he manages to get a day off, but she certainly is a great asset to the hotel with her genuine desire to make sure everyone is well looked after, as in fact do all our staff, as you quite rightly mention.

I have passed your comments about the food on to our Chef and his bridgade, it makes such a difference to them when someone really appreciates the passion they put into their dishes.

I'm so glad you liked room 33, we like to think that all our superior rooms are just that and try to give the added value that guests appear to be happy to pay for.

I can assure you that we welcome all our guests with the same genuine aim of trying to exceed their expectations irrespective of creed, colour or gender. As far as the latter is concerned, we have in recent times seen an increase in the number of same sex couples staying at the hotel, as I am sure most hotels are finding, but I trust that in the Hillthwaite's case this is because no one at the hotel displays any discriminatory attitudes, so in respect of this no thanks are necessary truthfully thats how we go about things at the Hillthwaite.

I am very pleased to see that you intend to return to see us again in the future but once again thank you for all your kind comments and please don't leave it too long before you do .
Durham
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2013

Had a pleasant stay at Hillthwaite but we did, from the reviews, expect more. When we arrived we initially had reservations about where we were staying - sat nav took us to the hotel via a housing estate and it is located up a steep drive. However, the staff were very friendly and our room was ok, a little small but with an excellent view over the lake, although the lake is some distance away. The curtain in our room was not properly hung and the lining was torn - not a massive issue but again, given the room rate, more was expected. There is no lift and the corridors and flights of stairs are like a rabbit warren. The swimming pool we thought was a bonus but it was very cold and if you wanted to use the steam room you had to give 15 mins notice for it to be put on and to warm up. The food was good with excellent service - breakfast on the first day was spot on but not so good on the second day when the restaurant was busy.
If you want a quiet break in good surroundings this could be the place for you but it is quite a distance from Bowness/ Windermere and on an evening you can feel a little limited with your options as the bar is very compact and quiet.
Generally overpriced for what you get.

Room Tip: Get one at front of the hotel with a view, it will cost quite a bit more but it will be worth it.
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
SOUTHLAKER, General Manager at Hillthwaite Hotel, responded to this review, 30 May 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review, which incidentally I read whilst on holiday in Southern Ireland. Regretably we are unable to control the idiosyncratic nature of some sat navs, why it brought you through a housing estate I can't imagine as it must have instructed you to turn left one turning in advance!! Obviously we have taken on board the negative points you raise but having just paid much more than our rates for some hotels providing far less service and facilities with respect I feel that your comment that we are generally overpriced is questionable. As you quite rightly say the hotel is located on hill, but it is worth ascending the hill for the stunning views which you find when you get there. The majority of our guests prefer being away from the hustle and bustle of Bowness and our provision of off road private parking is a further advantage. However for those guests who prefer the night life a reasonably priced taxi service is readily available. Thank you once again for your comments and I hope you will still consider the Hillthwaite when you are next in our beautiful part of the world, despite the reservations you may have had.
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2013

We had the most wonderful stay at this hotel . Staff were so friendly and could'nt do enough to help . Truly refreshing. The food was of exceptional standard , for the two nights we stayed it was splendid . We shall go again .

Room Tip: Dog friendly hurrah.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your lovely review glad you found our staff refreshing, although we only have a limited number of rooms in which dogs can be accommodate dogs I am glad that on this occasion we were able to do so. I have passed on your comments about the food and service to the staff which were really appreciated. Really pleased to see that you would return to the Hillthwaite and look forward to welcoming you.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Windermere
Applegarth Villa and Restaurant
Cragwood Country House Hotel
Cragwood Country House Hotel
#2 of 20 in Windermere
Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa
Macdonald Old England Hotel & Sp...
#9 of 13 in Bowness-on-Windermere
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,744 reviews

Been to Hillthwaite Hotel? Share your experiences!