“friendly staff”

Ranked #11 of 20 Hotels in Windermere
Stockport Uk
“friendly staff”
Reviewed 24 May 2013

We stayed on the 2 night package and for the price we paid thought it was good value.All the staff were friendly and well trained,room was clean if a little cramped,and the food was good.The bar was a bit over priced even for the lake district,and the hotel is up a steepish hill.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
SOUTHLAKER, General Manager at Hillthwaite Hotel, responded to this review, 15 June 2013
Thank you for your to the point review, sorry if you felt the bar was pricey but we keep monitoring prices and we don't feel that we are at the top end of the price range, but you have to agree that the views from the top of that steepish hill are well worth the effort. I have passed on your kind comments about the staff and the food and they were very much appreciated-thank you hope we can look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (445)
Derby
Reviewed 22 May 2013

We had a lovely break here, the staff were friendly but not intrusive and the restaurant/bar staff were spot on. The room was very clean and relaxing, my only gripe was that the bed was essentially 2 pushed together and you could really feel the join....which meant you migrated to separate ends of the bed, not ideal on a romantic trip away!
Thoroughly enjoyed the food and relaxing in the lounges/conservatory on an evening. Stayed for 2 days and used the pool/sauna on both days. Yes you have to wait 20 minutes for the sauna to heat up but I would prefer that than it be wasting energy and on all day if not being used. The pool was warm and we spent a 20 minutes swimming so the wait was not a concern to me. The people who own/manage this hotel clearly care about the guests enjoying themselves and I for one would love to return.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
SOUTHLAKER, General Manager at Hillthwaite Hotel, responded to this review, 7 June 2013
Thank you for your nice review. Sorry about the bed, especially if it spoilt the romantic occasion you were hoping for! Glad you enjoyed the food and I have passed onto the staff your kind comments about them. We sometimes question whether economically the pool area is worth all the expense of maintaining but our guests overwhelmingly convince us that it is despite the inadequacies that some reviewers have highlighted, but thank you for recognising the reason we do not leave the steam and sauna on all day and most of our guests agree with our procedure for the use of these facilities. Thank you, yes we do care passionately that our guests enjoy themselves whilst staying with us, we accept that, like most hotels, we do not get it right all the time but I can assure you that its not through lack of effort that we occasionally fail to reach our own high standards. I am pleased to read that you would love to return and I look forward to welcoming back to the Hillthwaite.
Berwick-upon-Tweed, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 May 2013

We liked this hotel, it feels like a treat and is clean and comfortable, with an attractive conservatory and lounge to sit in and read or have a glass of wine/coffee. Our room was next to the pool and this was ok (the pool is small and there isn't constant traffic of people going past the room to get there). Bed was comfortable, plenty of pillows and cushions. The TV was a good size which we appreciated. Tea and coffee facilities ok, though I'd have appreciated a couple of herbal teas thrown into the bog standard selection and I would have liked a full-size kettle (a perpetual gripe as travel kettle size isn't enough!). The bathroom was fine and we were pleased to have a bath as well as a shower. The fan didn't seem to work but that was the only functional blip.
We had a couple of issues: one was that the food experience in the restaurant was mixed. Breakfast was fine. Good to have fresh fruit (fruist salad style) and plenty of choices if you wanted cooked breakfast.. Supper was a bit disappointing. My friend had an caramelized onion tart as a main dish which was really sugary-sweet and he hated it. I had a taste and I could sympathise: it was way too sweet for a savoury dish. My main was much nicer and the puddings were good. I thought the wine list was a bit unimaginative, but ok. So, a mixed experience. The only other issue is a tricky one to resolve. The small reception and office is open and right next to a small bar and seating area. This means that if you choose to sit here, you will overhear conversations between staff - this can't be avoided! And also you can hear phone conversations. On two occasions when we were in the bar, a gentleman working there was having a bit of an argument with a supplier on the phone. It went on for quite a while and I found it a bit irritating and intrusive. On another occasion my friend was sitting waiting for me and he overheard a bit of a tirade by a staff member about a guest who had just made a phone booking. This wasn't very complimentary and we both felt this was unfortunate and rather unprofessional. It's a difficulty of space and privacy because of the proximity of the office and reception. We didn't sit in that area again. So my advice would be, buy your drink at the bar and take it to the lounge (which is attractive and comfortable with nice views) or the conservatory. Other than that, overall we liked the place quite a bit and we would return.

Room Tip: The rooms overlooking the car park are less desirable.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write a review and for your constructive comments which we have noted, sorry if our busy reception area intruded upon your stay, as I said recently to another reviewer, we are presently working on a redesign of the whole area, as we are only too aware that it is virtually impossible to avoid guests having to listen to telephone calls. Whilst we now take an increasing number of online reservations the vast majority of our guestsstill want to discuss their reservation with a human being. However I apologise if this detracted from your enjoyment.

I have passed your comments about the food onto our Chef who does appreciate feed back about all the dishes he offers and endeavours to incorporate useful suggestions from guests in his menu planning.

Despite the functional blips you experienced I am happy to see that on the whole you liked the hotel and look forward to you making a return visit when I hope we will have been able to mollify some of the less attractive aspects of your previous visit.
Lytham St Anne's, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 May 2013

We had a lovely break in Windermere staying at the Hillthwaite on a mid-week break. The food was excellent throughout and we enjoyed marvellous views over the Lake while we dined. Only a very small bar which was rather crowded and cramped pre dinner drinks. Very clean, and a decent enough swimming pool for a small hotel. We stayed in a suite in the Annex and, again had a stunning view over the Lake. Handily site mid Lakes, we are looking forward to revisiting with American friends in the Autumn.

Room Tip: Try for a suite in the Annex.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Thanks for you kind review. Glad your enjoyed the food and views-two of our best assets. We are looking to redesign the bar area in the future to give our guests more space to relax in.
Thank you for mentioning the pool we know we can't compete with the luxurious leisure facilities elsewhere but it is on site and our guests very much appreciate the fact they don't have to leave the premises to enjoy our 'homely' leisure factilities. Great to hear you are planning a return visit and look forward to welcoming you back.
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 May 2013

Its been a couple of years since our previous visit so we were a little apprehensive that the second visit would live up to the first,,, we were not dissapointed... this time we stay'd in the annex room 241 which was just lovely.. nice room with a balcony to sit and soak up the amazing views.. we had our dog with us so this room was ideal to walk him without disturbing guests...the food is still excellent as is the service.. we travelled with a groupon deal so will be keeping an eye out for another..Windermere is just a short walk or drive in rain ..lovely spot lovely hotel....

Room Tip: if in the annex room 241 has a small balcony with the amazing views..( bathroom was a little dated b...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
SOUTHLAKER, General Manager at Hillthwaite Hotel, responded to this review, 3 June 2013
It really is so satisfying for us all when guests return and find that the Hillthwaite is still maintaining the standards experienced previously. Irrespective of the package or offer our guests avail themselves of we endeavour to ensure that they all receive the same warm welcome, excellent food and great service.

Glad you liked room 241 and I can assure you that the bathroom is on our list for refurbishment just as soon as funds allow. Despite our elevated position most of our guests comment on the hotel's very convenient location which is enhanced by the stunning views and relaxed atmosphere.

Thank you hope you will come and see us again soon.
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 May 2013

We returned yesterday from a perfect 2 night stay at Hillthwaite House. We had stayed in the area before but our previous hotel appeared to have gone down-hill, plus we needed a hotel that had secure storage for my husband's mountain bike. We stayed on the 2 night DBB package (summer sizzler) and it was amazing.

We purposefully booked room 28 with the roll top bath and Lake / Fell views (yes, the shower lacks pressure but who wants to shower when you have THAT bath). The room was gorgeous and spotlessly clean. You get the little extras with this package / room (bath robe, slippers, chocolates and wine), which just added to the indulgence of it all.

The hotel is beautiful - the interior is modern classic and a little section of it was being redecorated whilst we were there. Having said that, no-one else would have noticed - it was only because we arrived way too early to check in that I met the very friendly man painting. When we returned a few hours later to check in, the paint was dry and the area was immaculate.

Every member of staff was warm, welcoming and extremely friendly. They provided professional but genuine, down-to Earth service. Nothing pretentious here, just natural civility, refinement and excellent standards of service.

Hillthwaite is a place to truly relax and enjoy the things you may not have time to at home; you can take in the views, enjoy the garden, catch up on some reading or go for a swim and sauna.

I had read a previous review that criticised the chefs cooking and the waitresses' ability to speak English but we found nothing to substantiate those comments. The food was to die for - 5 courses plus coffee and Petit Fours. The menu was inventive and the choices were different each night. On the first day we made the mistake of eating lunch so I couldn't finish my main. The waitress was genuinely concerned that I had not liked it; however, I was able to honestly reassure her that I was just saving room for my dessert! I remember reading a review that said the portions were too small and can't help but wonder how much that person normally eats...

If you are reluctant to believe this glowing review, believe me when I say that less that 24hours after returning, we have booked the exact same package for September.

To all at Hillthwaite, we will see you soon!

Room Tip: If you're looking for a romantic break or just a little bit of luxury pay a little more for the...
1 Thank Riocat
Thank you for your glowing tribute to the Hillthwaite, for once I'm struggling to adequately respond to such a wonderful review. It makes me very proud as General Manager to be able to pass on comments like these to our staff who really do try at all times to exceed our guests expectations.

Thank you for highlighting the quality of our food, but as you have already pointed out, regretably we do not please everyone but fortunately like yourselves the vast majority of our guests find our food to be delicious and well presented.

As far as the hotel fabric itself is concerned we do try to sympathetically keep a tradtional Lakeland feel to the building whilst introducing some modern aspects and you seem to have recognised this.

Once again thank you for taking the time to write about the Hillthwaite everyone is 'glowing' with pleasure about your review and we look forward to seeing you soon.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 May 2013

Picking a hotel at random can be a lottery. I am pleased to announce that with Hillthwaite House I chose the right numbers. Hillthwaite is not pretentious and does not try to be any more than it is. What do you expect from an hotel? Peace and quiet..yes. Smiling and very helpful staff...yes. Good accommodation...yes. Good food....yes. Somewhere to relax...yes.
It is a good 20 minutes walk from the station and a similar walk to the centre of Bowness on Windermere and the Lake. Now here is a tip. The taxis that wait outside the station are very expensive and I mean very expensive. It's the old monopoly thing. There is a 'winged' taxi service with an office just on the edge of the station forecourt that will save you almost 50 per cent on your fare! Enough of the moaning and back to Hillthwaite. This really is a very nice, relaxing, restful and home-from-home hotel. Not many places in which my wife and I stay receive such rave reviews. Hillthwaite deserves your attention.

Room Tip: Don't be fussy and take what they offer. If you are staying for more than a week then plump for...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Thanks for writing such a nice concise review you covered everything, you made me feel that I would want to stay at the Hillthwaite. Have you thought about a career in hotel marketing- there's obviously a light hiding under a bushel there! Sorry about the taxis and the price of parking in the Lake District, that's why we are pleased that we are able to offer our guests free, secure off road parking.

Anyway thank you once again and hope you will consider the Hillthwaite again when visiting our lovely part of the world.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Windermere
Applegarth Villa and Restaurant
#3 of 20 in Windermere
Cedar Manor Hotel and Restaurant
The Glenburn Hotel & Restaurant
Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa
Macdonald Old England Hotel & Sp...
#9 of 13 in Bowness-on-Windermere

Been to Hillthwaite Hotel? Share your experiences!