Hillthwaite
US$293
US$285
Hotels.com
  • Restaurant
Windermere Manor Hotel(Windermere)(Great Value!)
US$208
US$201
Travelocity
  • Breakfast included
US$350
Official Site
Cedar Manor Hotel and Restaurant(Windermere)
The Samling Hotel(Windermere)
  • Pool
1,546 results
All reviewssauna and steam roomsconescourse mealclassic roomsmall poolon arrivallovely hotelafternoon teabay windowhigh standardlake districtmy partnerbooked this hotelcream tearestaurant staffbreakfast and dinnershort break
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 15 June 2013

We stayed at Hillthwaite House for 2 nights on June 5th 2013 what a gem of a hotel it is . The staff were excellent nothing was to much trouble for them . We stayed in room 201 Langdale decor and views fantastic, indoor pool ,sauna steamroom very refreshing. The breakfast amazing plenty of choice, spotless dinning room , only wish we had stayed for evening meal . We will love to stay again and will be recommend it to all our friends and family.

Room Tip: Room 201 Langdale is located near the top carpark and you dont have to drag bags through hotel also your own carpark
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jill f
SOUTHLAKER, General Manager at Hillthwaite, responded to this reviewResponded 21 June 2013

Thank you John and Jill for taking the time to write a review, its especially nice when we are able to identify reviewers because the review then becomes even more personal and helpful. Langdale is a favourite with many of our returning guests and I have passed your kind remarks about the food on to our Chef and the rest of the staff, who as you can probably tell from my replies to previous reviewers are the jewell in our crown at the Hillthwaite. It was lovely to read that you will recommend us and I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 13 June 2013

WOW! Amazing 2 nights, booked through living social so got a great deal. Really friendly and helpful welcome. Really nice room with a lovely lake view. Food was spot on. Really looking forward to coming again would recommend to anyone!

Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your very kind review. Our recent Living Social deal has certainly gone down very well with the LS members and can I say how happy we are to welcome them to the Hillthwaite because in the main they are a pleasure to have in the hotel, glad to see you would recommend us and I hope we will be able to look forward to you coming back back for a return visit in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 13 June 2013

My husband and I and my mum visited this hotel. This stay was amazing and my husband and I stayed in Room 15 and my mum was in Room 16.
Both these rooms were superb and you couldn't have asked for more. The décor, the views of the lake were stunning.
The breakfasts & dinners were also lovely and the staff were fantastic. Nothing was any trouble.

We will definitely be going back, well worth paying extra for the Room 15, the bathroom had a TV in and you could also change the colour of the lighting in there. Fabulous stay

The only downside is there is no lift. My mum is slightly disabled and getting up the stairs was a problem, but she did it nevertheless.

Room Tip: I would recommend Room 15 or 16 for a spectacular view - Room 15 has a little balcony which was lovely to sit and watch the day go by, superb bathroom, and Room 16 had a Jacuzzi bath, a big bay window where you could also sit and just relax. All in all, the rooms in the hotel are lovely.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank kazzarooney
SOUTHLAKER, General Manager at Hillthwaite, responded to this reviewResponded 15 June 2013

Thanks for taking the time to write a review. Sorry about the lift I'm afraid its just one logistical bridge too far for us to contend with. However, thank you for your lovely comments about Rooms 15 and 16, they are as you know the two most sought after rooms in the whole hotel and thats the reason why we feel justified in attaching a high premium to them. The recently refurbished room 15 has received so many wow reviews from the occupants that we are finally convincing ourselves that the investment and the upheaval suffered by guests and staff alike during the work of refurbishment has been worth it. I have passed on your kind comments about the food and staff and these were very much appreciated. I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel on some future occasion.

Reviewed 12 June 2013

I bought a 2 night stay via livingsocial for my boyfriend's birthday on 10th June 2013. I was so pleasantly surprised!
I paid a little extra (£10 per night) to have a slightly better room, I think if I was to stay again I'd either go all out and get the best room I could afford so that I had a view from the window or not bother paying the £10pn. I was in room 31 which overlooks other parts of the building (I think the laundry room and kitchens perhaps?) and so we didn't have any view and the windows didn't catch any fresh air either, but the bathroom was modern, clean with a huge bath and great powerful shower. The double bed was 2 singles zipped together, but I didn't mind that too much, overall the room was clean and suitable for our needs.

I was a bit worried about the food before we arrived - you never know what to expect and there wasn't a lot of information available before we booked but don't worry - the food is great! We had a 4 course meal as part of our stay and it was delicious, service was quick and i was keen to dine here the second night (we got a voucher for £10 off pp if we dined there the second night) as it turned out we were still out and about at that time the next day, but otherwise would have happily eaten there again. Breakfast each day is served at the table - no hot buffet breakfast here - and was served quickly and with the option of fresh fruit and cereal and some toast before your breakfast proper arrives.

The absolute best thing though, is the staff and location. Everyone was so lovely and helpful and pleasant. It all seemed really genuine too - no awkward, over zealous small talk - just a team of people working with a smile. The location is perfect - perched on a hilltop, the hotel's views are stunning, the garden was lovely, the opportunity to sit outside and have (a complimentary) tea and scone was perfect. The hotel is about halfway between Windereme station and Bowness on the lake - about a 15 minute walk to either.
Lastly - when we were there we used the pool each day and got time on our own to swim first thing. The pool is small, but fine for a wee bit of exercise and the sauna was great too.

The whole trip was fantastic, well worth the price I paid and I'd definitely book the same deal again. if you're reading this contemplating a 2 night getaway deal, just do it, this is a great value hotel punching well above it's price bracket.

Room Tip: pay the extra for a room with a view or don't any any extra at all. There's no a/c or views in room 31 a 'classic double'.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Catriona M

It sounds like we have here another very happy Living Social customer, our latest package is certainly going down a treat with the members of Living Social who are recognising it as you did as a great value for money experience. No double standards here for the food, service and facilities are exactly of the same high quality as for all of our guests whichever package or rate they are on, and I am glad you enjoyed them all. Our on site leisure facilities are a real bonus for many of our guests and despite their compactness continue to attract many appreciative comments. As I said recently to another Trip Advisor reviewer unfortunately we are uanble to provide the Lakeland view from all our bedrooms, but the terrace is only a few strides away and I am sure the views from this were some compensation for the lack of them from your bedroom. I have passed on your kind comments about the food and staff and these were very much appreciated. Thank you once again for taking the time to write your review and I look forward to welcoming back to the Hillthwaite on some future occasion.

Reviewed 7 June 2013

My partner and I stayed at The Hillthwaite House Hotel for two nights on a B&B basis, however the deal also included a four course dinner on the first night . . . a shrewd move on the hotel's behalf as the dining experience was such that we decided to dine at the hotel on the second night as well, feeling that we would be hard pressed to be assured of such a fine dining experience elsewhere in the district.

The room was adequate, well appointed, clean and fine for a couple of nights, albeit with no Lakeland view to speak of. ( We did miss the stunning views over the lake towards Loughrigg Fell which we had enjoyed on a previous stay). However these views can be appreciated from the terrace garden, lounge or conservatory . . . . enhanced on our stay with the most beautiful sunset, enjoyed from the terrace over our post dinner cafetiere.

I particularly appreciated the sauna and steam room facilities in the pool area which proved to be a boon after a strenuous days walking on the Fells.
The hotel staff were courteous, attentive and yet unobtrusive. The restaurant staff in particular deserve a special mention as they serviced several covers each whilst being attentive to each tables progress through the excellent menu, so that we never felt rushed or left waiting for the next course.
With regards the food. Superbly cooked, well presented and real value for money. Indeed the breakfast was a "fine dining" experience in itself with an extensive menu including Eggs Benedict and Smoked Haddock.
To sum up. I feel this establishment is more than fit for purpose as a base for several days stay in the Lakes. Having enjoyed a strenuous days walking it is fine thought to anticipate a relaxing sauna/steam bath on one's return to the hotel, followed by a pre-dinner drink and the prospect of a delicious un-hurried meal.
The Hillthwaite House Hotel is just the sort of establishment that is leading the way to the revival of the Great British Holiday . . . . .

Room Tip: Although I am sure all the rooms are adequate it is my experience that the "Lake-view" rooms are well worth the extra expense.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends

Thank you for taking the time to write such a complimentary review about your recent stay at the Hillthwaite. Sorry on this occasion that your bedroom did not include the Lakeland view, much as we would wish it we have to accept that we are unable to provide all of our bedrooms with this very desirable accoutrement. As usual I have passed on your lovely comments about the food and staff and these were very much appreciated. Glad you found our onsite leisure facilites a boon after a days walking and thank you, like so many of our Trip Advisor reviewers, for highlighting the stunning views which can be enjoyed from many of our bedrooms, but also by all our guests from the lounge, terrace and restaurant. Finally it would be churlish of me not to say how encouraging for all of us it was to read your delightfuly penned comment that the Hillthwaite House Hotel was just the sort of establishment that is leading the way to the revival of the Great British Holiday- our marketing department is jealous that they didnt think of it first-you get a huge gold star for that one-thank you and hope you will allow us to continue the revivial with you on a future occasion.