Hillthwaite
  • Restaurant
US$349
Official Site
  • Breakfast included
Cedar Manor Hotel and Restaurant(Windermere)
The Samling Hotel(Windermere)
The Lamplighter(Windermere)
  • Breakfast included
1,546 results
All reviewssauna and steam roomsconescourse mealclassic roomsmall poolon arrivallovely hotelafternoon teabay windowhigh standardlake districtmy partnerbooked this hotelcream tearestaurant staffbreakfast and dinnershort break
FilterAll languages
996 - 1,001 of 1,546 reviews
Reviewed 6 December 2013

A warm welcome on arrival and it was a nice touch to be taken to our rooms by a member of staff. Great views across The Lake and a lovely fire awaited whilst sipping mulled wine. All the staff we dealt with we're friendly & efficient adding to a great experience. Ate in their dining room and the menu suited all our tastes with the fillet steak being voted the best! Will we return? You bet, booked in for New Years Eve .........

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
SOUTHLAKER, General Manager at Hillthwaite, responded to this reviewResponded 9 December 2013

Thank you for your brilliant review. There is nothing better than a comforting glass of mulled wine to get you in the mood for Christmas. I have passed your lovely comments to the staff and I look forward to seeing your dancing techniques on New Years Eve.

Reviewed 4 December 2013

We spent two nights here and the hotel is in a brilliant location with good views and the room was clean and tidy.
There was a broken bedside lamp which wasnt even needed in the room, they knew about it so I would have removed it before the next guests had arrived.
The food was nice but some items were cold - especially the beans and mushrooms on the breakfasts. The music blasting from the kitchen into the restaurant everytime the door was opened became annoying very quickly.

The Sauna had large mushrooms growing from the grated wooden floor which we reported but were still there when we went back in 5 hours later. Not very hygenic.

I sent an e-mail to the hotel expressing my concerns but have not received a reply as yet. A bit dissapointing as you would have thought they would have been concerned that someone was not completely happy with their stay.

Overall - with a few little improvements and a major clean of the sauna this could have been what we expected.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Laheney-Clark

Thank you for your review to which I was a little surprised to see. I have asked the Head Housekeeper to investigate the 'mushrooms' in the sauna and why this wasn't removed at the time. This is totally unacceptable and is definitely not the standard practice to which I can only apologise for.

I am sorry that you did not enjoy your stay but I assure you that the problems with your room has now been rectified. You are right about the location.....it is fantastic and the views are wonderful and I am so pleased that you appreciated them. I hope, despite the niggles, that you may visit us again in the future.

Reviewed 2 December 2013

Stayed here for one night with my wife as she got it on a groupon deal on which you get a afternoon tea with a bottle of prosecco and a 4 course dinner and breakfast the following morning.

Upon arrival we were told what times were available for the evening meal so we booked for 8pm (tip for booking dinner is to book when you check in as the good time slots go quickly when the hotel is busy)

The receptionist was very helpful and told us of places of interest to visit etc., she also gave us the Wi-Fi code to connect your phone or laptop.

There is a swimming pool which by all accounts isn't that big or deep we didn't used the pool but if your staying with children please be aware there's no lifeguard on duty.

We stayed in room number 4 and it was just big enough for a couple. the bed was two singles pushed together but was covered to make it look like a double but we didn't mind as the beds were really comfy and we both got a good nights sleep.

If I was being really picky with the room there wasn't anywhere to put the kettle and had to switch it on either on the floor or by the TV.

Afternoon tea was really nice with homemade scones with jam and cream were delicious again being picky we had to have afternoon tea near reception as all other places were full.

The evening meal was really nice to start we had ham hock croquette and bruschetta followed by butternut soup then roast beef dinner and mushroom risotto followed by sticky toffee pudding. The staff gave it just enough time between courses it wasn't massive portions but over 4 courses it was more than enough to fill you up overall an excellent meal.

The bar can be quite pricey (as all hotel bars are) it was £4.20 for a pint of house lager which to be quite honest it was wasn't that great to drink so after that I switched to bottled cider which was £3.60 for a small bottle of mangers.

If the manager does happen to read this then I suggest they look at revising there bar prices and also look at the décor in the dining room as some of the décor was quite outdated.

but overall it was a very enjoyable stay for me and my wife and we would defiantly go back

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Nathan_AVFC_85
SOUTHLAKER, General Manager at Hillthwaite, responded to this reviewResponded 12 December 2013

Thank you for your comprehensive and excellent review which I have passed on to all the members of staff. I am surprised about the comments in relation to our bar prices as they are line with our other competitors and seems to be the 'norm' in Windermere and surrounding areas. I hope we see you again in the future and find the furnishings more to your taste.

Reviewed 2 December 2013

Great value for money this weekend break in the Lakes. We booked a winter warmer deal, staying in a 'cosy double'. In this case, cosy means small, so if you intend spending a lot of time in your room, opt for a larger room. The service and food were very good: try the Cumberland ham for breakfast, it's delicious. The house wine, Berri estates Shiraz, was lovely, as was the roast guinea fowl. It was nice to sit by the (real) log fire in the lounge. The dining room has great views.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for a lovely review. The cosy rooms are more than adequate for a stay especially when you have the scenery and extensive walks in Windermere and the Lake District to explore. I hope to see you again soon and thank you once again the staff work extremely hard all year to offer our guests an exceptional experience.

Reviewed 2 December 2013

We first visited Hillthwaite house around 10 years ago, there have been a few changes since then, but the cosy atmosphere is still the same.
The room we had was upstairs in the annexe, it was like a small suite with nice view.
The food in the Resturant was as nice as we remember, and the Sevice was very slick and the staff were friendly but unobtrusive.
We won't leave it 10 years before our next visit and would certainly recommend this hotel.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your good review and I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay. I have to admit that there has been some cosmetic changes in the last ten years but our values and passion for our hotel, the location in which it sits and our guests still remain the same. I look forward to seeing you again soon....hopefully in less than ten years!