“Fantastic Hotel”

Ranked #11 of 20 Hotels in Windermere
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“Fantastic Hotel”
Reviewed 2 February 2014

We only booked the week before through living social deal, not knowing what to expect we where pleasantly surprised at how clean and fresh it was. No lingering smells and even though dogs are welcome there was no 'dog smell' which I was worrying about. I can't speak highly enough of our experience and would recommend anyone to check it out.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
SOUTHLAKER, General Manager at Hillthwaite Hotel, responded to this review, 4 February 2014
Thank you so much for your great review and I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us. I hope to see you again very soon and I have passed your kind comments to our housekeeping staff who work tirelessly to make sure our rooms are spotless. I am glad you appreciated it!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (446)
Carlisle, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 February 2014

We booked a cosy double room , D,B & B via Groupon for £99. Room was pleasant enough, did not have a view as it overlooked a canopy for a walkway and building site. The bathroom was small, and had no heating in it? Radiator was kept on all night, this was very noisy as we could hear the boiler beneath the room. Spent most of the night awake, thank goodness we were only there for one night. I believe if the room had been double glazed this would have eliminated the need for heating on. The food was very nice, but some restaurant staff would benefit from being trained in the art of customer service. Or did I just get the impression that when we said we were staying in room 20 our service was slightly different to others dining that evening. No wine list was presented, had to ask for this! Had to ask if our order could be taken! We definitely felt the poor relation, especially when speaking to the receptionist and was told room 20 will probably be closed after the refurbishment programme. Spa: men's changing rooms had no light in. Pool had very little if no chlorine in and was in need of a clean at water level. The ceiling is bowing in the middle, I understand you are going through a refurbishment programme but health and safety for customers must come first. Overall lovely hotel, but room for improvement .

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your review but I was slightly taken aback by your review. I would like to make one thing clear is that we would never compromise the safety of our guests. The swimming pool undertakes regular testing throughout the day (as per legislative requirements) and is regularly checked as part of our maintenance programme. The boiler issue is slightly confusing as there is no boiler underneath your room but I will pass this on to our maintenance manager who will investigate this issue. We treat all of our guests the same and we would certainly not treat anyone differently dependent on the price they paid for their room. The restaurant team also never know how much you paid for a room as the tariff isn't included in their restaurant sheet. However, I do apologise about not receiving the wine list as this is standard practice and I will address these issues with the restaurant manager. I am also slightly confused about the closure of room 20 as you state as this is not in the refurbishment plans and we have no plans to 'close off' this room in the foreseeable future. It could also be worth noting that if you wanted a view then you could have upgraded from a cosy double to a lake view room for an extra £40.00 which would still be amazing value for money.
Liverpool
Reviewed 29 January 2014 via mobile

This is the fifth time we've been to the hotel, and each time we're not disappointed. We booked this time via Groupon, and what brilliant value for money it was. The hotel staff are all lovely and very willing to help make your stay as comfortable as possible. We stayed in the annex and the room was great. The beds are very comfortable, and plenty of pillows. We have stayed in the main part of the hotel in the past, and the rooms there are lovely too. The views of the lake are ok, but the views of the mountains are spectacular, especially from the lounge and dining room.
The food is why we come back to Hillthwaite time and time again. The evening meal was second to none, and the breakfast was lovely. If you are after a foodie treat, then look no further. We now compare every hotel's food to Hillthwaite, as they have always set the bar so high! Will be back again soon!

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank z79
SOUTHLAKER, General Manager at Hillthwaite Hotel, responded to this review, 30 January 2014
Wow!! Thank you for a great review. I agree that the views are simply breathtaking from everywhere as we are very fortunate to have this great position. I am pleased you enjoyed staying in the Lodge. We are currently carrying out a major refurbishment in the Lodge and I am sure that you will be pleased with the amazing results once we are finished. I look forward to seeing you again and I am pleased that we act as a benchmark for your quality standards.
Teesside
Reviewed 28 January 2014

We booked this hotel on an offer through living escapes. The room on the offer was booked so we had to pay an extra £20 for upgrade to a premium room. This room had the smallest wardrobe (cupboard really) that I have ever seen. It was just as well we were only staying one night. The bath was also very short in length. A couple of people we spoke to also had to upgrade.
The positives -
The staff are lovely and very friendly.
The hotel was really warm even when the radiators were not on.
The evening meal was excellent but the breakfast was not so good.
The bed was one of the most comfortable that we have stayed in.

1 Thank wedgesTeesside
Thank you for your review and I am pleased that you managed to get an excellent deal through Living Social. Due to the popularity of the offer, some guests have had to upgrade to a classic room (£20 supplement) not to a premium room as you stated in your review. Thank you for the kind comments regarding the staff and hotel. Next time you may want to upgrade to one of our superior or luxury rooms all of which have bigger cupboards, if this is something you look for in your room. In my opinion, the storage facilities are more than adequate in all of our rooms for a couple of days away.
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 January 2014

We booked on a living social deal and found it exceeded our expectations! We arrived to a warm and friendly greeting from very helpful staff! Our room was excellent and it was a lovely touch to have our wine chilling in the room when we arrived! The bed was huge and so comfortable a "giant marshmallow!" And to top it all the food was outstanding especially the vanilla cheesecake it was amazing! Our whole stay was a delight and have already recommended it to friends who have just booked the "Winter Warmer" offer! We will definitely be coming back!

Room Tip: The rooms with the 6ft zip beds are definitely worth having!
2 Thank RosieK241
SOUTHLAKER, General Manager at Hillthwaite Hotel, responded to this review, 24 January 2014
Hi Rosie. Thank you for your excellent review and I am so pleased that we exceeded your expectations. I have to agree with you about the cheesecake...it was fantastic especially the chocolate crumbly base. I look forward to seeing you again at the Hillthwaite and for you to try some of our other scrumptious desserts!
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 January 2014

Friendly & helpful atmosphere along with excellent service ensured my partner & I celebrated a lovely birthday weekend at the Lakes. Breakfast fantastic and superb evening meal made sure we never went hungry. Bedroom was "Premier" which gave a wonderful view of the lake and mountains, even on a cloudy day. Looking forward to next trip when I can find the time.

Room Tip: Spend a litle more & treat yourself to the Premier room
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
SOUTHLAKER, General Manager at Hillthwaite Hotel, responded to this review, 22 January 2014
Thank you for your great review and I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. It is also great to hear that you appreciated the views despite the inclement weather and I hope to see you both again soon.
Chippenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 January 2014

We booked their one night ‘winter warmer’ overnight stay on a trip south from Scotland. Dinner, B&B plus mulled wine and mince pie on arrival.
We booked a room with a ‘classic zip and link’ bed. This is two full sized single beds joined together seamlessly. What a treat a 6 foot double bed and with separate mattresses. Why don’t all hotels do this!
Pluses – Friendly staff; great bed (see above); really excellent table d’hôte meal with lots choices and well presented; great breakfast; swimming pool and everywhere was amazingly clean and fresh looking.
Minuses – a long way up from the town if you are walking (we weren’t); pretty poor view of the distant lake from most rooms; fairly expensive wine; poor wifi with tortuous log on code each time you wanted to use it and then only in the lounge area; fairly expensive at £149 for the night (but that didn’t seem to put people off staying there as it was reasonably full).

Room Tip: Book the zip link bed if with a partner
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your five star review and I am so pleased that you enjoyed your time with us. I was slightly surprised at your comment regarding the price which is excellent value for money as this includes the delicious mulled wine, mince pies, breakfast and four course evening meal followed by coffee and petit fours in a classic room with a lovely lake view.....which is a great price in comparison to our competitors.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Windermere
Applegarth Villa and Restaurant
#3 of 20 in Windermere
Cedar Manor Hotel and Restaurant
The Glenburn Hotel & Restaurant
Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa
Macdonald Old England Hotel & Sp...
#9 of 13 in Bowness-on-Windermere

Been to Hillthwaite Hotel? Share your experiences!