“Disappointed.....”

Ranked #11 of 20 Hotels in Windermere
Bolton, United Kingdom
“Disappointed.....”
Reviewed 5 March 2014

I researched this hotel before travelling and reviews were good so decided to take up a deal for one night (Sunday) with evening meal/breakfast/bottle of wine and afternoon tea on arrival.
Hotel looks impressive on arrival with lovely views. Staff were friendly enough on arrival and the room although basic was clean.
The problems started when we sat down for the the evening meal. For starter I had blue cheese and red onion fritters (tasteless and was like eating an unseasoned dumpling) partner had moules marinieres (muscles were clearly bought frozen and prepacked) they were small and a number did not come out the shell, sauce was thick and unappetising.
We followed with a butternut squash veloute which was the same consistency as that of a jar of baby food and was served luke warm.
I had Salmon with crushed new potatoes and green beans. Salmon looked like it had been pan fried in an inch of oil and green beans were dry and withered with no colour. My partners roast beef dinner wasn't much better, beef was edible but roast potatoes had no colour or crispness and two were inedible as they were black and should not have been served.
As a result we decided to skip dessert!
The restaurant was busy and it appeared as though there was insufficient staff....however this was no excuse for the disappointing food cooked by chefs "Rob and Arek". As an ex chef myself cooking on a armed forces minimal budget I would have been embarrassed to serve the food that we were served on what would have been be a far superior budget with "locally sourced produce".
After the meal we went into the conservatory area with our coffee....every table had crockery on it which had been left from afternoon tea and we had to clear a table for us to be able to put our cup and saucers down. Again I appreciate staff were busy but this was unacceptable.
I'm not a "complainer" and staff had enough on their plates with with beligerent guests and staffing issues...I had no intention of raising any further issues that evening. I hope that the constructive comments that I have offered will be taken onboard especially as far as the catering is concerned.
The Hotel is in a beautiful location and review of catering and some tweaks here and there then this could be place I'd like to visit again. However I can't see this being in the near future!

Room Tip: Don't pick a "cosy room". They are nothing like the photos on the website. I would con...
2 Thank Graeme E
SOUTHLAKER, General Manager at Hillthwaite Hotel, responded to this review, 10 March 2014
Thank you for your review which I read with disappointment. Obviously on this occasion we did not live up to your expectations or the standards in which we work hard to achieve. The restaurant was extremely busy that evening but this is no excuse and I will graciously accept your critcism and we will work to recitfy them....some of which we have already done. I hope that you try us again in the future as I am sure you will find a different hotel on your next visit.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (445)
Holmfirth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 March 2014

Although we were not resident at the hotel we had no problem booking in. The restaurant was very nicely decorated and the staff very attentive even though many of the tables were occupied.
We had four courses and could not fault any of them. The food was well presented and a delight to eat. Would definitely recommend it.

1 Thank Edwin P
SOUTHLAKER, General Manager at Hillthwaite Hotel, responded to this review, 11 March 2014
Thank you so much for this review. Its very rare we have any comments from our non residents so I am pleased that you enjoyed your evening meal. We are very proud of holding on to our reputation for offering good food at a reasonable price and this review highlights to us that we are still doing a good job!! Thank you and I hope to see you again for lunch or dinner soon.
Alnwick, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 March 2014

We had a two-night break here, our 3rd visit, and it was as good as ever. We love walking but it was so nice to come back to a warm, comfortable, relaxing and welcoming hotel at the end of the day. The staff were friendly and very helpful willing to take my wet boots away to dry overnight.
The food was superb and presentation spot on with attentive service. The tea and delicious scones with jam and cream were very much appreciated on arrival. We had upgraded to a classic room and were not disappointed. Very clean, plenty of room, space for clothes and a nice comfortable sitting area.

Room Tip: We had classic room 19 and it was excellent and quiet. Worth the upgrading.
1 Thank Bebba93
Thank you for your excellent review. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and we certainly didn't mind drying off your boots for you. There is nothing worse than putting on your boots which are still wet from the day before. I am glad you had a relaxing and comfortable break and I hope to see you again soon.
Cheshire
Reviewed 3 March 2014 via mobile

Just back from a one night break at this lovely hotel. Staff were great attentive and helpful and made you feel at home. Loved the open fires and freshly baked scones. Had a great deal with groupon, proseco on ice in the room on arrival. Evening meal was excellent and breakfast good too. Would highly recommend for a weekend away, could not fault the place.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your lovely review. Its reviews like yours that make the staff proud of what they do. Glad you liked the scones especially when they are straight from the oven. Very moreish!! Hopefully, we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.
shipley
Reviewed 3 March 2014

This was our 2nd visit this time we took some friend's with us.
You wonder if it can meet up to what you remember and hope your friends enjoy they stay as much as you did first time.
Well as always Hillthwaite house didn't fail to impress, right from when we firsted walked through the door.
Great rooms 35 and 36 WOW what a view and so tastely furnished, then down for homemade tea and scones, a walk down to Bowness lakes and shops.
After a lovely shower off for dinner you know what I am gonna say (WOW).
I cook myself and food like that is no mean feat.
Next morning a swim, sauna and off to breakfast loads of choice with local produce.
All though our visit the four of us were made to feel at home by the friendly and funny staff.
Value for money, great location., five star food.
We will be visiting many times more thanks all at Hillthwaite house.

Room Tip: Rooms 35 36 were classic rooms package both were different interiors and very nice views
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Thank you for your great comments especially in relation to the staff. Its nice that you felt at home and that your friends enjoyed themselves too. I look forward to seeing you all again soon. Thanks!!
Bradford, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 March 2014 via mobile

My husband and I had a 1 night stay which was an offer we found in the internet. We were delighted with the standard of the accommodation, service and catering. While our room was fairly small, it was extremely comfortable and spotlessly clean. We arrived to find a bottle of chilled prosecco awaiting us in our room. The afternoon tea was delightful and we both found the standard of both the evening meal and breakfast exceptional. We would love to come and stay again and would highly recommend hillthwaite house to our friends.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Gillian N
Thank you for your excellent review and I am so pleased you enjoyed your short stay with us. I am pleased you appreciated the prosecco and the scones and I hope to see you again for a longer stay next time.
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 March 2014

We visited the Hillthwaite Hall Hotel in February. The hotel was good with a welcoming feel and the standard of the food was superb. A real plus point for the hotel. However, our room felt a little dated and we sensed that there may have previously been a dog in our bedroom as the smell wasn't particularly pleasant and my husband found some dog hairs on one of the cushions. Not great when he is an asthmatic! They have clearly invested some money in updating the bathrooms, but just a little more TLC would have been needed in our bedroom. All in all a great stay and very impressed by the food. Just a shame that the room let us down a little bit.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your good review and especially for the constructive comments about the room. Plans are in the pipeline to refurbish the rooms as soon as possible but I am so pleased that you enjoyed the food and I hope to see you again in the future.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Windermere
Applegarth Villa and Restaurant
#3 of 20 in Windermere
Cedar Manor Hotel and Restaurant
The Glenburn Hotel & Restaurant
Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa
Macdonald Old England Hotel & Sp...
#9 of 13 in Bowness-on-Windermere

Been to Hillthwaite Hotel? Share your experiences!